What's new

Do you keep shaving until you can't feel any stubble left?

Do you keep shaving until you can't feel any stubble left?

• YES

Votes: 72 40.2%
  • NO

Votes: 107 59.8%

• Total voters
No, I don't, because I have very sensitive skin and the ensuring result of chasing the BBS shave is terrible razor burn. I'm very new to this....maybe 8 shaves in so I am hoping with time and technique that improves. Right now, when I stop at a comfortable, burn free, bleed free shave, I have some visible stubble on the left side of my neck (aka the burn zone) and one day out its very much there. I used to shave with cartridges only 1x/week due to razor burn. With the DE I am doing every 2-3 days, but I am hoping for better, closer shaves. Also thinking that perhaps with time I'll be able to pursue more aggression razors. I am loving the 34c/Astra SP combo for comfort, but it definitely isn't shaving me down smooth.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t. I do get a close comfortable shave, but BBS it is not. It’s just my preference. I’m fair and my whiskers are grey now, so I almost appear shaven even with a days stubble. Unlike a good buddy who has dark coarse hair and despite demanding BBS still thinks he looks like Fred Flintstone after shaving.
446CC869-0956-40CF-867B-78503FBFDB7F.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
BBS, always. I dont like to feel stubble anywhere even with considerable pressure applied by my hand. With a shave at that level I only need to shave every 48 hours.

I've lately been doing 3 full passes with little to no buffing. Using my MMOC yesterday got me pretty much there in two quick and easy passes.

I'll eventually go back to a single ATG buffing pass but I'm learning and enjoying some new soaps.

No, I don't, because I have very sensitive skin and the ensuring result of chasing the BBS shave is terrible razor burn. I'm very new to this....maybe 8 shaves in so I am hoping with time and technique that improves. Right now, when I stop at a comfortable, burn free, bleed free shave, I have some visible stubble on the left side of my neck (aka the burn zone) and one day out its very much there. I used to shave with cartridges only 1x/week due to razor burn. With the DE I am doing every 2-3 days, but I am hoping for better, closer shaves. Also thinking that perhaps with time I'll be able to pursue more aggression razors. I am loving the 34c/Astra SP combo for comfort, but it definitely isn't shaving me down smooth.
Welcome to the wet-shaver community!

As for the "aggressiveness" and all that - just forget about it, it's all b/s. There are no mild razors and aggressive razors. All there is, is effective razors vs. not-so-effective razors and good vs. bad technique.

Been there, done that. Wasted 20+ years on cartridges, went back to traditional wet-shaving a few years ago. Tried the "mild" and the "aggressive" DE razors and pretty much all the major brand blades. The more "aggressive" the razor was and the sharper the blade, the better the shave I had. ALWAYS.

And so finally, I have made the full circle and arrived at a conclusion that SR, that is to say - unprotected, fully exposed blade is the very most gentle, mildest, smoothest way to shave, once you learn how. Never looked back. I advise everyone from the bottom of my heart to do the same. Enjoy the ride! :)

While I'd like to get a completely stubble free shave, chasing that last spot on my right side jawline more often than not leads to irritation, so I just let it be. I can get close, and my technique is getting better, but I'm more into comfort than close. Besides, no one but me can see or feel that last bit of micro stubble!

There are times when it seems important to get a completely bbs shave, and I'll go there if I can, but for day to day things it's generally not worth the trouble or discomfort.

All that said, I'm encouraged by more experienced guys here who can get bbs without pain, so I know it's possible. I'm working to get there and expect in time I will. Until then I'll do the best I can and be satisfied.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I enjoy the preparation, ceremony, and act of shaving but for me the most important thing is relaxation and a quiet time to myself to think. I try to get a close shave but not at the expense of enjoyment, as long as the result is socially acceptable. I don't care in the slightest about lather quality, BBS, or leftover stubble. A big aftershave burn on the other hand, is essential and I am prepared to shave a bit too close to get it.

Top Bottom