What's new

Do you have to have oil for your strop or Straight Razor?

I am ready to start using my straight razor but I hear about some Diamond oil and things like that but I don't know if that is necessary or not?
Do any one you just go with the strop then shave and strop again and put the razor away, no oil involved?
If oil is involved, what do I do? Thank you, Kyle Fischer

If you're going to store your razor more than a week or so I would oil the razor after stropping before you put it away

Mineral oil is a good choice I go with frog lube

IMHO stay away from oil. It does not coat evenly and does not protect as long. This has been my experience over the decades.

For a straight used daily use nothing. Just strop daily and go.

For storing a straight for long term, use petroleum jelly to preserve it and the edge. This has been the wisdom (from what has been posted and from what I have read in articles over the years) from the 1930's.

That said, if you find different, use what you like.

Chris

IMHO stay away from oil. It does not coat evenly and does not protect as long. This has been my experience over the decades.

For a straight used daily use nothing. Just strop daily and go.

For storing a straight for long term, use petroleum jelly to preserve it and the edge. This has been the wisdom (from what has been posted and from what I have read in articles over the years) from the 1930's.

That said, if you find different, use what you like.

Chris

I agree with the exception of froglube... It's made to stay in place... It gets thicker when cooler and thinner from body heat

Top Bottom