What's new

Do you have a spare for your favorite razor?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Quite interesting that many people have spares or backups for their favourite razor. I’ve always regarded my razors as being somewhat unbreakable, and haven’t seen the sense in getting a spare; I can always just buy another one, as I see it (my razors are all modern ones).

I can see the reasoning for vintage razor lovers wanting a backup, though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have no duplicate razors. I have several, but I've only bought a few of them. I use almost all of them, but many were either gifted me or PIF'd me by some fine folks on here.

I really like the experience of shaving with a different razor every so often, just to keep me on my toes!

Three, actually - and for exactly the reason that occurred to you when you read that. So I can lose/break one and still have two! ;-)

I have two of all the razors I really like and several that I don't because they were included in lots that I bought to get other razors. Rare razors are like that sometimes. You can't find them for love or money but one day an auction shows up on Ebay titled "box of old razors" and there it is nestled in a pile of busted TracII handles & ball-end Travel-Techs.

Three, actually - and for exactly the reason that occurred to you when you read that. So I can lose/break one and still have two! ;-)

I have two of all the razors I really like and several that I don't because they were included in lots that I bought to get other razors. Rare razors are like that sometimes. You can't find them for love or money but one day an auction shows up on Ebay titled "box of old razors" and there it is nestled in a pile of busted TracII handles & ball-end Travel-Techs.
These eBay lots are the reason I have so many duplicates. It’s such a great way to get these vintage razors to try for so little money per item. I also like it because I am able to have razors I love, and pass the others along to gain my money back. I also like that I can sell them to others and offer a good value and not lose due to shipping costs on my end.

I have a spare Merkur Futur. I bought one because it was on offer and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have a spare.
Thankfully I’ve managed to keep any DE razor buying urges to a minimum in 7 years.

Nope.

My favorite razor is the Feather SS folding shavette. It is built like a tank and looks like it will probably outlive me by many decades, so I don't think I need a back-up. I've thought about buying one in another color just for variety, but so far I have been able to avoid the temptation. Mine is lime-green. I thought about the pink one, because I think it would be kind of funny to have an open blade razor in pink.

I've got spares for three of my favorite razors. I bought them because right before each of the three was discontinued--R41 2011, Fatip piccolo MK1, and Ikon Tech.

Oh, and I bought my third first generation Charcoal Goods Level 3 in brass right before he moved to the second generation. Why do I need three of them? Of course, I don't.

Yes. Two Super Speed Regular (Flare Tip) and two Slim Adjustable. Still experimenting. When I find my next favorite (like the Fat Boy I'll soon be test driving), likely will get a spare for that as well.

Yes, I do! The Gillette Pre-War (1938-45 w/triangular lather slots) Fat Handle Tech is my ONLY razor and yet I own two (2) of them! One is in minty condition and is my "daily driver". The other is well-worn with considerable plating loss,... and this one is my absolute favorite and is my "special occasion" razor.

Yes, I do.... three colors of RazoRock Hawk v2. Several duplicate 1912's, Enders, Keen Kutter and Kriss Kross.

I have ten R89/DE89 heads. I cannot remember exactly, I think five R89 and five DE89.
I have two Merkur 33C and two 34C.
I don't want to talk about stainless ones. I am too embarrassed.

Top Bottom