What's new

Do you have a spare for your favorite razor?

I do, but it’s a far lesser razor than my Rockwell 6S. My spare Is a Micro Touch One made by Weishi. Maybe one day I’ll pick up a real backup.
I picked up the new Gillette when it came out about a month ago. It’s my new backup. I really should try it out someday, but I rally love my Rockwell.

This thread is making me think I should probably grab another Game Changer. I find that anything that I end up liking ultimately gets discontinued

That's the way it tends to work here, too.

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."

I'm thinking I might get another 6S, just in case.

Yes.

Four Gillette 195 fatboys. My "daily driver" is missing a great deal of plating, showing brass on the caps and handle. One spare is like new, the other spares are pretty much like new with perhaps one tiny bit of brass showing on the dial.

Three Gillette 500's. Two HD's and one MD. Pretty much like new. I would have to check, but it may be that I have four of those as well.

Two Gillette Aristocrat Jr's. One is like new, the other is a "daily driver" user condition.

One Darwin Evolution to use as a "spare" for my boxed Darwin Standard.

For my favorite razor I do not have a spare. That is one of my Techs, all of the other ones are different year models. And head geometry.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have spares of several favorites. Some which come to mind are these.
  • FOCS. One in chrome. One in gold.
  • Gillette Fatboy in nickel. Gillette Executive in gold.

Yeah, they're only fraternal twins, but still. The FOCS is my favorite DE razor, but I like the Executive a whole lot, too.

I have spares of a few other non-favorites or near favorites, and spares of some which are not in the favorite camp.

One Ikon Tech and one Ikon Tek. The name changed but the shave is the same.

iKon.Top.800.7-13-18.JPG

Same with me. I have this Tech + a new Tek which is as yet unopened.

I thought iKon had discontinued them. Now, of course, they're on sale at a price significantly lower than I paid for either of mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
In my case, it would be fair to say that there are two razors that I like most, but I like them both equally. Both are vintage Star 3 pieces. One, yes I have two of, and the other, no.

The only spare I have is another MMOC, because they are inexpensive and I wanted to have one in better condition and also in case I somehow manage to break the tabs that hold the blade.

My favorite is my Gillette Slim. It’s not my birth year and quarter, but the first vintage I bought. I have several other vintage Gillettes, but no spare.

Yes. When I realized the razor I had bought is a RAD-killer I bought one more just in case it would happen to be out of production whenever I have an accident in the future.

Yes, I have 3 identical Gilette Techs, I got them as unused old stock.
Maybe it is not the absolute best Tech version, but unused ones are rare.

Yes, duplicates of my top several razors - EJ DE89, R41 - because they are Zamak and I cannot count on one of them lasting as long as I will.

My favorite is a Timeless SS razor that should hold up well. I suppose it could be stolen or lost but otherwise it should easily outlast me. While not the most expensive razor made, it is expensive enough that I don't want to spend the money for a second just to have it sitting around in a box. If something did happen to it I do have other razors that can be used until I can order another. Most likely my Rockwell 6S would be put back into service as my daily driver.

I have duplicates of two razors, the Lord L6 and the Razorock DE1. Both are inexpensive zamak razors, and I love the shaves I get from them. I have had duplicates of other razors but sold them as their quality construction and materials seemed to negate any need of a duplicate.

eric

Top Bottom