What's new

Do you have a shaving product graveyard?

I just looked in the cabinet under my sink today and noticed I have what I call a "tried-but-rejected shaving product graveyard" under there. These are brushes, after shaves, shave creams etc. that I have purchased and tried, only to find that I didn't like them or have found better ones to replace them. So they just sit there. Getting to the ideal products for my own particular tastes has not always been a smooth straight path. While I never use these products any more, I don't seem to have the courage to actually throw them out. It seems like such a waste. Maybe I'll try to give them away to friends. Does anyone else have similar tried-but-rejected shaving product graveyards?

I just looked in the cabinet under my sink today and noticed I have what I call a "tried-but-rejected shaving product graveyard" under there. These are brushes, after shaves, shave creams etc. that I have purchased and tried, only to find that I didn't like them or have found better ones to replace them. So they just sit there. Getting to the ideal products for my own particular tastes has not always been a smooth straight path. While I never use these products any more, I don't seem to have the courage to actually throw them out. It seems like such a waste. Maybe I'll try to give them away to friends. Does anyone else have similar tried-but-rejected shaving product graveyards?
I try to give mine away, but if a product is really crappy I don't want to inflict that crappiness on my friends & then the next stop for that product is the waste-bin.

Sure do. I have a shoebox with stuff I don't use for whatever reason. I'm giving these all away since I know of other people who have gotten good results with these products, but I just can't.

I try to give mine away, but if a product is really crappy I don't want to inflict that crappiness on my friends & then the next stop for that product is the waste-bin.

Same here. I regularly give stuff away if it doesn't really suit me....... it is better off being used by someone else than sitting in the back of my cabinet.

I wouldn't give junk away, but if it is something that I just don't like but someone else might, then I usually save it to make a PIF out of it. Most products are perfectly suited for a Newbie to try, even if you don't care for it.

In all honesty, i cannot have a grave yard. Maybe BB needs a shaving pay shipping area???

They do! It is the PIF section of the Marketplace. You can specify a PIF that the receiver only pays shipping.

I have a bunch of stuff that I like that doesn't get used simply because I like something else better. Case in point, I like Brut and I have both the ASL and ASB under my sink, but neither get any use because I also have other products that I just like better. I can't bring myself to get rid of the Brut because I actually do like it. It's the same reason why I have so many damn t-shirts I guess :blush:

It's not so much a graveyard as purgatory.

If a product causes me any problems I will throw it away. If I just don't like the scent I will use it up and not buy it again. My biggest problem is blades. I got 300 derbys not being used as I have now discovered and prefer Feathers. Oh well, I will keep them for the shave opocalypse.

Last edited:
I have a place where I keep stuff for future PIF's and give-a-ways. Kind of like a graveyard. I keep all my empties as well in case I need to re-use them for another product :) .

All you guys who throw stuff away, why? Just make a PIF...I have seen people ask for shipping costs in their PIF's, I am sure some people would love to try stuff that might not work for you at a fraction of the cost :) .

I've only been at it a couple months...but have already acquired a nasty case of RAD...so a couple razors and one thing some fellow talked me into for travel, but I hated (I'm looking at you, Jack Black Beard Lube)

I think it's a great idea for a postage only section...

Not as such. Soaps and creams that I don't like, I'll use up anyway. There are none that I strongly dislike, just a few smells that I'm not crazy about. A couple of soaps that didn't work that well on their own became part of Frankensoaps.

Razors that I don't like just become display items, as all but a few are vintage. I did throw away a couple of broken ones after salvaging usable parts, and I've given away a number that I decided I didn't want. All the rest I'm keeping as collectibles.

The only brushes that I've gotten rid of were inexpensive hopeless shedders that I decided weren't worth reknotting, just a couple of those. The dozen I have left all get taken out and used at least occasionally.

My one bottle of Nivea ASB has lasted a couple of years, and probably hasn't been opened in a year. I might use it sometime if I get an irritating shave. I have an unopened glass bottle of Aqua Velva that is strictly a souvenir. No other aftershaves.

All of my DE blades are theoretically usable, but I'll never use them all up, as I don't use DEs that often. I may gradually PIF away some of the brands I like least, but it can wait.

Yes, for the most part it's call my best friend Dave's shave cabinet... but the truly awful stuff... it get's pitched. I wouldn't subject him to a few of the products I've tried in the past.

Put them on the BST and give someone else a chance to hate/love them.

Sure do. I have a shoebox with stuff I don't use for whatever reason. I'm giving these all away since I know of other people who have gotten good results with these products, but I just can't.

Same here. I regularly give stuff away if it doesn't really suit me....... it is better off being used by someone else than sitting in the back of my cabinet.

I wouldn't give junk away, but if it is something that I just don't like but someone else might, then I usually save it to make a PIF out of it. Most products are perfectly suited for a Newbie to try, even if you don't care for it.

They do! It is the PIF section of the Marketplace. You can specify a PIF that the receiver only pays shipping.

One Man's Junk is another Man's Treasure

I sure do. However, the contents of said graveyard typically consist of various products my wife gets me at the grocery store or from other mainstream sources. Some are so vile to me that I wouldn't dare PIF them and yet I haven't had the heart to dump them down the drain for fear of offending her (Burt's Bees Bay Rum is among the worst offenders IMHO). Others are simply just "meh" and collect dust in favor of my preferred choices.

I sure do. However, the contents of said graveyard typically consist of various products my wife gets me at the grocery store or from other mainstream sources. Some are so vile to me that I wouldn't dare PIF them and yet I haven't had the heart to dump them down the drain for fear of offending her (Burt's Bees Bay Rum is among the worst offenders IMHO). Others are simply just "meh" and collect dust in favor of my preferred choices.

Give them to a thrift store, so someone can get some use out of it.

For me a graveyard is a collection of spent bottles and other used (empty) items. I do not keep all of them but I do keep some.

Al raz.

Top Bottom