What's new

Do You Have A Razor Blade Slot In Your Medicine Cabinet Or On Your Wall?

If so do you use it to for your used blades?
I have one in my medicine cabinet and have been using it for awhile.
I've seen the one on the wall as well in other houses.

No still thinking about it but location is difficult so most likely I keep a blade bank on top instead.

These aren't the greatest ideas of humanity. Bathrooms tend to have lots of electric wiring. It's unlikely, but possible, that a blade might land on a wire, and over time, work its way through the insulation, and make a short.

In this house I'm living in now, some idiot stapled the Romex to the bottom of the joist rather than running through it, and then some other idiot stapled fiberglass insulation over that. It took a couple of decades for the disaster to occur, and after a day of checking all the junction boxes, eventually I had to tear out a celing to find the dead short in the wires.

Mind you, this shouldn't be a problem if the installation of everything was done right in the first place and no bozos have monkeyed with anything in the intervening years. But good luck with that.

I don't but my cousin lives in a house that was built in the 1940s to 1950s. A few years ago she had her bathroom remodeled and enlarged. They took out the medicine cabinet which had such a slot. They also relocated the wall where the cabinet had been and found hundreds of blades there.

No. I use an empty stick deodorant container. When it fills up in a year I'll tape it, label it (for sanitation worker safety), and toss it.

I do not now, but the house I lived in until I was 12 did. I was under the impression it was like a laundry chute and the blades went all the way down to the basement. I was not old enough to make use of it before we moved to another home that didn't have one.

The original medicine cabinets in our house did have the slot, which simply allowed them to pile up between the cabinet shell and the stud. When I remodeled the bathrooms, the new cabinets no longer have the slot.

I simply use an old drug bottle to drop them into, and when full, screw on the cap really tight, and into the trash it goes.

No, I use a blade bank. I was thinking that you could cut a small slot in the wall and then cover the slot with a nice shiny plate that has a corresponding slot in it. Like someone above said, just make sure that there isn’t any electrical running in the wall below the slot.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to the idea.

I do and do. It is situated very close to where the glass shelve sits so its existence stayed hidden until a few years ago. I use it exclusively now.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No and no, I don't think that we had anything like that out here in Australia. I had never seen one or heard of one until I joined this forum.

My MBR sink doesn't have a medicine cabinet at all--wish it did, there would be less dental and shaving stuff on the sink. Currently, I use my homemade blade bank, made from an old beef broth can.
Shave Stuff.JPG

On a side note, my parent's first home had one which my dad used for nearly 30 years. We went back to the home after Urban Renewal bought their home. Metal scavengers had been inside and trashed everything trying to get copper wire, all metal plumbing fixtures, our cast iron enameled bath tub, and radiators. The bathroom floor was a sea of old rusted razor blades with fresh blood all over them. Our old house came down, but fought back against the scavengers.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The house where I grew up was built just after WWII. The original bathroom had a slot in the back of the cabinet. When I was born my parents added on another bedroom and bath to the house and Dad built the bathroom to please my mother's fascination with that new-fangled Scandinavian Modern look. Apparently modern Scandinavians didn't shave, as no blade slot was installed. (Dad by then used an electric.)

My dad and older brother both put blades in the old slot back in the day, and I imagine the first owner did as well. For decades after there were a couple still visible in the space behind. I seem to recall sticking a dime in there when I was little and being a little peeved that I couldn't get it back out.

For the last couple of years I've been slowly filling up an old prescription bottle. It's about half full now.

O.H.

Top Bottom