What's new

Do You Have A Preferred Razor Balance For Your SR Shaving?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Try this. Open up your SR 180° and then see where its balance point is from the pivot pin.

Most of my rather limited collection of SR's balance within about 5mm to 6mm or closer from the pivot pin. I also have a few that balance well away from the pivot pin, like very near the blade's shoulder.

Some seem to prefer a balance point well towards the blade. Others, like me, prefer it near the pivot pin.

I find an "unbalanced" blade rather off-putting when shaving. What do you prefer?

For me the lighter the better. Heavier scales/handles take away the weight of the blade on the skin enhancing lightness of stroke, but can be unwieldly to control.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me the lighter the better. Heavier scales/handles take away the weight of the blade on the skin enhancing lightness of stroke, but can be unwieldly to control.
I am asking about balance here , not overall mass of the razor.

Does this mean that you prefer a heavy blade with light scales, meaning a balance point well away from the pivot pin and towards the blade?

I like it close to the pivot. In reality, the CG changes with the grip as the angle between the scales and blade changes.

If I’m holding it Kamisori style, I like the weight in the scales. If I’m holding it in a traditional grip with scales open slightly more than 90°, then I like the weight in the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No preference.

It could be that all of my razors happen to be well balanced but I’ve never noticed the balance point to be an issue. While shaving my razor is almost exclusively open to 270. Very rarely 180. Maybe one or two strokes.

I suppose the 270 position puts the CG somewhere behind the cutting edge. This seems sensible. The same as a golf club puts the CG of the club head behind the ball.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm still confused. When the SR is opened 180°, where do you prefer the razor's overall balance point (centre of gravity) to be in relation to the pivot pin?
My reasoning is that, if the greater weight is from the pivot along the handle somewhere, you are likely to wield the blade more accurately, because the blade feels lighter to control. Perhaps like in fencing, the weight of the sword is towards the handle end

Last edited:
Honestly, I have never checked the balance on any of my razors and don't think it would make a difference for me. I have not enjoyed razors in the past though because I didn't like how heavy the razor was. I also love love love thin scales compared to big wonky ones

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I prefer balance close to the pivot pin as well.

But usually not a big deal. I learned straight shaving with a Wapienica, waaaay scale heavy.

I like the balance to be about half way from the pivot to the shoulder as that is where the center of my grip usually is. So basically, wherever my middle finger hits the tang, that’s where I want balance point.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Try this. Open up your SR 180° and then see where its balance point is from the pivot pin.

Most of my rather limited collection of SR's balance within about 5mm to 6mm or closer from the pivot pin. I also have a few that balance well away from the pivot pin, like very near the blade's shoulder.

Some seem to prefer a balance point well towards the blade. Others, like me, prefer it near the pivot pin.

I find an "unbalanced" blade rather off-putting when shaving. What do you prefer?
I seem to be responding to several of your questions tonight when I should be tending to my nightly YouTube videos, however, they are somewhat unusual but interesting questions. I’m not going to get out of bed and hang razors from my finger but I do know I prefer a near perfect balance at the pivot. Otherwise there is a slight fight between one end and the other. Mass is, for me, an important consideration as it amplifies balance problems. The overall lightness is very important to my method of shaving. I have several razors with beautiful custom acrylic scales that completely throw the razor out of balance and I regret having them done. Best to have well enough left alone. If, however, there is a balance problem, I would favor the blade being the heavier. In this case, engineering wins over aesthetics. Good night.

Never made a point of it to see where the balance point is on my razors, but I definitely find one of my Gold Dollar W series razors uncomfortable. The scales are heavy with metal liners, so I would guess the balance point would be well back towards the scale side of the pivot.

Opposite end of the scale, my Rigarazor would be forward towards the blade from the pivot, because it has a heavy blade with fairly light scales. I don't find that uncomfortable to use.

Using my razor mostly open at 180 degrees I would conclude that if not close to the pin, I would prefer the balance point to be blade-heavy.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Using my razor mostly open at 180 degrees I would conclude that if not close to the pin, I would prefer the balance point to be blade-heavy.
The 180° setting for checking the balance is only to standardise the test and make it easier to perform. With the SR opened at any other angle, the balance point will be at a different location but will still be related to the balance point at 180°.

Having metal (normally aluminium alloy) lined scales may not necessarily mean an "unbalanced" SR. Both the Titan VG10-HZ T.H.63 and Titan ACRO TO.H.64 are with metal (aluminium alloy) scales but they also balance reasonably close to the pivot pin when opened 180°.

Top Bottom