What's new

Do you have a favourite horse hair brush?

Do you have a favourite horse hair brush? Mine is the Vie-Long 12750 with the butterscotch handle. It seems that horse hair brushes were the most popular brushes at one time -- back in the day -- but not so much nowadays. Odd because they are a fine brush (once you get the horsey smell out of it), kind of between a boar and a badger...and the bristles come from a renewable source. Also, are you a regular user of horse hair brushes or do you use them just once in a while?

I have a Bullgoose 2012 LE beehive that is 50 / 50 mane and tail (bleached). I love this brush, although I had a V-L 13061 that I lent out and can’t get back - another great brush.

Scrubby without being scratchy, once they are broken in they rock soap or creams

I also have a Vie Long, but I don’t know the model#. It’s a great brush, that I use a lot. I rotate between that one and an Omega boar.

I also have a Vie Long brush of unknown model that I used almost daily before I went back to Afghanistan. I have a badger, synthetic, and boar that were getting almost no use.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have a Vie-Long 13061. I love the handle. The brush itself doesnt have as much backbone as I would like but I have learned to work it okay using. Otherwise its a fine brush. Good looking brush too.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My Vie-Long 04312 almost never leaves my counter, and my Lord Randal white rarely is out of reach.

I also have a second Vie-Long horse hair brush that I like very much. The handle is great for working up a lather.
image.jpeg

+1 on the Vie-Long 13061.

If you like your brush to have a softer face feel, be sure to get a brush that has a 50/50 tail hair/mane hair blend like the 13061. If you like triple-milled soaps and want more backbone, then get one that is 65% tail hair/35% mane hair, but the face feel will not be as gentle. If you like more tail hair, get the 13061M.

Vie-Long has a smaller version of the 13061 called the PB14080. That was my first horse hair brush. I liked the hair,m but found the brush to be too small. Thus, I purchase the 13061 and also the 13070 which is a similar brush, but in an attractive olivewood handle.

I only use my Vie-Long Cachurro once in a while, and it's a really nice brush.
I'm getting better shaves with my badgers and synthetics, but my Vie-Long is still a pleasure to use.

IMG_2456.jpg

I also have the famous Bestshave Turkish #6 horsehair brush. This brush sold for $2.45 five years ago from a website in Turkey and was all the rage in the wetshaving world at the time. The Bestshave website is no longer in business.

As can be seen it has developed a crack in the wooden handle and I dont use it much anymore for that reason. I now regret only buying one.

proxy.php

Do you have a favourite horse hair brush? Mine is the Vie-Long 12750 with the butterscotch handle. It seems that horse hair brushes were the most popular brushes at one time -- back in the day -- but not so much nowadays. Odd because they are a fine brush (once you get the horsey smell out of it), kind of between a boar and a badger...and the bristles come from a renewable source. Also, are you a regular user of horse hair brushes or do you use them just once in a while?

I have the Bullgoose 2012 LE Beehive Brown Horse, 35/65, 25/52mm. I have had this brush for 4 years, use it at least once per week and if I were pressed to state a one and only this would be it. I like everything about it.

I recently got the Cremo branded Vie-long 12601, other than being a bit prickly it's quite nice, while the tips aren't exceptionally soft the hairs stems are very soft. It also makes a crazy lather for being so darn small, I was genuinely impressed, I might have to upgrade to a larger brush one of these days if I end up loving it.

Top Bottom