What's new

Do you guys use a brush stand for your active brush?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Wow. See? This is one of the MANY reasons that new wet shavers need to find Badger and Blade.

This thread brought about thoughts like, "Of course, I use a shave stand for my active brush," and "Duh."

But the first page alone is filled with "My brushes have flat bottoms," this and, "they stand on their own," that.

This made me think, "Wait. What!?" Sure enough:
I totally agree with "Variety is the spice of life".
Now that B&B members are comfortable with rotating razors every day to change their preferences, insisting on "brushes only need to stand" limits the imagination, and I'd even like to see more storage ideas beyond hanging. Or at least an interesting holder design.

I like the visual effect of the barber pole style handle hanging up, because it looks more like a barber pole outside a barbershop. (It's hard to see a barber pole on the ground in my country, most of it is hanging on the outer wall)

Necessity is certainly the "Mother of Invention." Men, at least many of us, need--or at least want--to shave as part of daily life. So, it's only natural that many of us have turned a necessity into a hobby (obsession?). And like most hobbies, each of us has his own way of doing things. Brush stands are but one example. Personally, I prefer to shake out the excess rinse water then swish my brushes over a soft towel before setting them on their bases in a well-ventilated closet to thoroughly dry until their next turn in the rotation. But with that said, brush stands make a lot of sense if one elects to leave water in the knot.

Variety, as was observed above, is the spice of life.

For about 15 or so years, I have been using this Dovo brush and razor stand. It is stainless steel with great build quality. Back in the day, many brush manufacturers recommended hanging brushes bristles-down to dry. I've not seen any empirical studies comparing bristles-up vs. bristles-down, however...lol

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 1.49.04 PM.png

Now you don't have to feel you should...
Some company called Simpson's who have been making brushes since 1919 don't :blink:

"Leave to stand or hang (either is perfectly fine) in a well ventilated area, preferably very near to an open window. Insufficient drying time between shaves WILL result in mildew deep within the knot and eventual hair loss."

My brush stands upright
img_4259-jpg.1480009
I've read about Tataras and watched a couple of videos about them. That's a great little display! Are they truly worth the skosh?

BTW, as to storing brushes, I now have a couple too large for my little razor/brush stand and store them base down to dry out. Not worth buying a second stand.

From Sterling Soap always liked this larger stand to handle all my brushes. Takes care of the bigger ones for sure.

0F2393FF-EBE5-4624-8B68-19ED2F30D8C4.png

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For about 15 or so years, I have been using this Dovo brush and razor stand. It is stainless steel with great build quality. Back in the day, many brush manufacturers recommended hanging brushes bristles-down to dry. I've not seen any empirical studies comparing bristles-up vs. bristles-down, however...lol

View attachment 1511167
This is from another thread on drying times of brushes.
Just thought I would do a quick follow up on the Brush Drying chart and added large badger 26mm + a 24mm badger, 24mm boar and a 24mm synthetic brush to see if anything of interest to viewers.
Bigger brushes would take a little longer to dry and only added one to see how it worked out and the boar brush does take a little longer than a badger to dry at this room temperature because of boar hair is hollower and might trap a little more water inside the hair.??
Room temperature is a big factor in drying and at the moment we are in a heat wave so inside the house it is reading 80 degrees F or (27 C). To make a big a big experiment like this gent did would take a month or more and I'm not into this but still a interesting chart. Drying question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/drying-question.52285/
Conclusion would indicate not a whole lot of differences in standing or hanging a brush for evaporation of moisture so why go to any length of time to prove any differences than the fellow did with the smaller chart IMO.

I darkened the pictures so to read a little better if wondering!

Experimenting with brush drying times. (2).jpg

$normal_Brush_exp_copy (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Just thought I would do a quick follow up on the Brush Drying chart and added large badger 26mm + a 24mm badger, 24mm boar and a 24mm synthetic brush to see if anything of interest to viewers.
Bigger brushes would take a little longer to dry and only added one to see how it worked out and the boar brush does take a little longer than a badger to dry at this room temperature because of boar hair is hollower and might trap a little more water inside the hair.??
Room temperature is a big factor in drying and at the moment we are in a heat wave so inside the house it is reading 80 degrees F or (27 C). To make a big a big experiment like this gent did would take a month or more and I'm not into this but still a interesting chart. Drying question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/drying-question.52285/
Conclusion would indicate not a whole lot of differences in standing or hanging a brush for evaporation of moisture so why go to any length of time to prove any differences than the fellow did with the smaller chart IMO.

Thanks, Ron - that's about as empirical as it gets! I doubt anyone has gone to the lengths that you have to compare drying times.

I think one of the reasons cited by proponents of hanging was to get water away from the base of the knot and the cement as soon as possible. Who knows if this argument has any merit. Thanks for the followup post.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Conclusion would indicate not a whole lot of differences in standing or hanging a brush for evaporation of moisture so why go to any length of time to prove any differences

+1 When I first came back to wetshaving stands were purchased - there's maybe a couple plastic ones left under the sink where the other unused & unwanted stuff lives ..

I darkened the pictures so to read a little better if wondering!

Experimenting with brush drying times. (2).jpg

$normal_Brush_exp_copy (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
That little Omega boar is one of my favorites!!😍

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks, Ron - that's about as empirical as it gets! I doubt anyone has gone to the lengths that you have to compare drying times.

I think one of the reasons cited by proponents of hanging was to get water away from the base of the knot and the cement as soon as possible. Who knows if this argument has any merit. Thanks for the followup post.
Brush Drying methods question comes up whether to hang it up or down, so last year I did a quick study and added another chart a fellow who spent a lot of time doing his up over many days and found it interesting. I still like to hang my brushes bristles down but it does not make a lot of difference, as long as you flick it a few times and towel dry by painting strokes and then let dry either way which most folks do anyways IMO.

Last edited:
If I've been too lazy to put away the travel tube I use to store my brushes in, I'll stand it on top of that to dry. If I did put it away, it stands on the counter. The humidity in my town peaks at like 40% on a rainy day; I could probably dry my brushes with the garden hose.

I've read about Tataras and watched a couple of videos about them. That's a great little display! Are they truly worth the skosh?

BTW, as to storing brushes, I now have a couple too large for my little razor/brush stand and store them base down to dry out. Not worth buying a second stand.

I do like my Tatara a great deal - and the TataraxSemogie badger brush is lovely too.
Google "Tatara Shapologist" also - it's his favourite mild razor... mind you, you can make it more aggressive with changing the top/base plates to suit (or get the adjustable).

The B&B Tatara club is here

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Brush Drying methods question comes up whether to hang it up or down, so last year I did a quick study and added another chart a fellow who spent a lot of time doing his up over many days and found it interesting. I still like to hang my brushes bristles down but it does not make a lot of difference, as long as you flick it a few times and towel dry by painting strokes and then let dry either way which most folks do anyways IMO.
Agreed, after the brush has been flicked and towel dried it seems to me there is insufficient moisture remaining for it to be affected by gravity in any meaningful way. If you cannot be bothered to flick and towel dry then you deserve to have your knot fall out; besides, most brush stands are ugly things 😁

Agreed, after the brush has been flicked and towel dried it seems to me there is insufficient moisture remaining for it to be affected by gravity in any meaningful way. If you cannot be bothered to flick and towel dry then you deserve to have your knot fall out; besides, most brush stands are ugly things 😁

Hilariously, this thread is the first time I can recall ever seeing mention of towelling a brush dry. I do the flick and then let it air dry.

Well, I flick, towel dry and hang. The thing about so many stands on the market that really bugs me is that most all of them have a brush opening that is too narrow to accommodate brush handles. That means you wind up hanging your brush by the knot. Who would do that? Besides the Thater stand which accommodates your brush on an approximate 30 degree angle (clutch my pearls), I've found only a hand full with a wide opening, 31 mm, just right for all my brush handles. That's living good, except they aren't really the quality I want for my precious brushes. The Dovo stand posted above looks like a nice stand, but I understand the brush opening isn't up to my standards. The Muhle brush stands are high quality but again, none have a brush opening that is worth a darn. What's a serious flick, towel dry and hang enthusiast to do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom