What's new

do you get razor collection OCD?

hey people, so i was wondering do you get de/se razor collection OCD?

okay when im asking this i dont mean getting any and every razor in sight type of OCD but rather when i say collection i mean as in razor collection OCD?
say for example youve got one vintage gillette razor, then you feel that you MUST have them all?
or if you get say one schick in injector type, you must get them all?

also on a side note could you please post your collection of razors? whether it be gillette, schick etc etc

thanks saj :)

Not exactly. I don't like medium to mild razors, so I tend to ignore them. There is a part of me that wants a short handled super adjustable and a toggle because I already have the long handled Super Adjustable, Slim, and Fatboy.

Not exactly. I don't like medium to mild razors, so I tend to ignore them. There is a part of me that wants a short handled super adjustable and a toggle because I already have the long handled Super Adjustable, Slim, and Fatboy.
Ahh, yes, the short handle Super Adjustable! That is something I would buy.

I just can`t resist Red Tips and Rocket HDs .. I have bought and sold off quite a few over the last few years. I always say to myself just the one, plus spare, and no more .. but then I crack and place a silly low price when they come up; and every so often I get a new one .. like today.

Its just as much enjoyment in the cleaning and polishing them up. I guess I`ll be selling a few off soon .. anyone after a Rocket HD or Red Tip??

After getting Gillettes I wanted now I'm on the hunt for Rotbarts. That's because I used today a Rotbart Mond Extra 15. Very close on R41 level and much smoother... My hope was that after Gillette Senator my RAD will disappear... But it stil lives on..

Badger and blade should have a disclaimer you end up with one or several acquisition disorders in due time and end up with more than you can use in a lifetime.

Happy that I do not want all brushes soaps razors of an expensive brand 🤣

Reactions: saj
I had set my limit at 3 razors. Well, it was a good try. I’m at 9 and waiting for 1 more in the mail. If I keep this up, I’ll have to start shaving twice a day.

Nope. I have 30 razors currently and try to use them as regularly as I can. They all have their good/bad points but they are part of my shaving routine. I will replace them with others from time to time but that depends on the newest and most interesting razors that come out. For example, the Henson AL13 surprised me with how good their offering was.

Ten years ago I went through a period of compulsive straight razor and JNat buying. I'd put a good edge on them and use it for a while, then get a few more and sell the lesser of the old ones. And exploring the whole new world of JNats was pretty incredible. Trying everything with the goal being a very few truly superb things. Then life got busy, I switched to DE's, and I sold down my straight razor and JNat collection.

Then I went years without even thinking about buying a razor. Just used my two DE's with my one stash of blades.

But during the pandemic I began revisiting B&B as well as the auction site. The compulsion is back and I'm regretting selling some of the JNats and razors I used to have. Oh well.

Recently got some new DE's as well as a few vintage wedge SE razors. And lately I have been tempted by more than a few straights but so far have resisted. I have 3 western and a few Kamisori and a few JNats so honestly I'm set for life. But the grass is always greener and I've never tried a coticule etc etc and so on and so forth...

I not a collector in that I want all from a particular maker or a series or anything like that. I'm much more tempted by the possibility of a killer shave preferably at an advantageous price. And I'm always searching for the perfect edge. So I guess I lack the discipline or focus of a collector. And I lack the obsession of a complete collection or whatever. I just like variety - and fixing up something special and taking it for a spin, preferably at a price I'll never be upside down on.

At the end of the day, the compulsion part of OCD I understand perfectly!

1) But during the pandemic I began revisiting B&B as well as the auction site. The compulsion is back and I'm regretting selling some of the JNats and razors I used to have. Oh well.

2)I'm set for life. But the grass is always greener and I've never tried a coticule etc etc and so on and so forth...

3)I not a collector in that I want all from a particular maker or a series or anything like that. I'm much more tempted by the possibility of a killer shave preferably at an advantageous price. I just like variety

4) At the end of the day, the compulsion part of OCD I understand perfectly!

1) Who would have thought! :lol1:

2) The story of my life ever since i first discovered this forum 10 years ago...

3) Exactly! I don't want to have ALL Yaqis! Just most of them, since they have advantageous price and i like variety! I don't know why my wife doesn't deem normal to have double digit Yaqis! :lol1:

4) What compulsion? What OCD?! We are just gentlemen who like variety at advantageous prices! I like this! I may use this phrase for my wife!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I tend in the opposite direction, towards an approach more in line with the precepts of Marie Kondo's book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I like having only what I need but having each element be one that gives me joy. I have seen razor collections here and a rather overwhelming collection of shoes in a thread about shoe shining disorder that I can appreciate, but I also find myself glad I do not have those particular disorders. My pet disorder is my kitchenware, but it is kept in check through my rule of letting items that go unused for over a year find new homes. After all, I have to be able navigate the kitchen three or more times a day!

Back on shaving, my generally minimalist approach has been stretched by B & B. I used only one brush for decades, and now I rotate two. I used only one kind of blades, and now I find myself with a few PIRs, a few Crystals, and a few GSBs. I am in the process of deciding the clear winner. Also, I have a copper base plate on the way for my razor. As you might expect of a kitchenware junkie, I do love copper.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Not really? I know what I like at this point and there are certainly things I want to try out, but not like "need all of the razors in a certain range" just to have it sorta deal.

This November will be 14 years on the forum for me. I had a rather sizable collection of Gillettes and have sold and then repurchased them over the years, then sold them again. After all that I decided a few years ago unless it was something rare or mint I wouldn't purchase a razor no matter what the cost. I went through the straight phase and had all the necessary equipment to hone and sharpen and got rid of those also. At this point I am down to a handful of razors. I have a few British Rockets and a Fatboy that I don't see ever selling. For me it was always the thrill of the hunt. I enjoyed finding razors that were tucked away in a thrift or antique store. You can still find them, but razors in the wild are much more difficult to find. All and all it has been a lot of fun collecting razors and compared to guns, boats or guitars its a relatively inexpensive hobby.

Top Bottom