What's new

Do you get a closer shave with a boar brush?

Are you face lathering? Or changed the application style, if bowl lathering?

Which boar? I have 4-5 very different boar brushes and i find i have to spend the most time trying to develop a good lather with my SOC.

Have you changed anything else?

If you're asking me, yes I face lather with all my brushes. Same application style, but I do adjust the lathering time based on the brush. I lather until I'm satisfied with the lather I produce, regardless of the brush used. I've tried at least four different Semogue and Omega boar brushes. I've been shaving with many of these brushes for more than 20 years, so of course I've changed things around in that time. I'm a pretty scientifically minded person, so what I'm talking about is changing only the brush and keeping everything else as constant as possible. Overall, I get my worst shaves with my boar brushes, and my best shaves with the newest synthetics. I can easily tell the difference, but yes, I'd say the differences are still pretty small. Even the shaves I get with my boar brushes are still good, the other brushes just result in a better shave. There's no doubt in my mind at all.

Hey tube, thats a pretty good response and i kind of agree and relate with most your response. I get along with them, but i don’t understand why folks would give up badger for it.

I only have one synthetic now, and its ok. a tuxedo i think its called, not dense enough for me.

I was actually asking that info to OP but your answer was good.

"The largest beef-consuming countries in absolute numbers are the United States, followed by Brazil, and China. In terms of exportation, the world's largest beef exporting countries are Brazil, India, Australia, United States, and New Zealand." Dec 10, 2018 - World Atlas
In export, if one count in the Indian cow breeds that helped Brazil with white revolution, Indian cows will probably tilt the spot at No 1 for India ;) at least 2 local draught resistant breeds from India rank at respective 3 and 4th position in the total livestock count of Brazil.
Unbelievable!!
The mismatch between reality and media is astonishing!
We are led to believe that it's basically banned in India. Clearly not!
I'll have to dig deeper to find where I can also buy it :D

Sorry this is OT but couldn’t resist.

Nav, there is no mismatch. Simply a case of management of gutter press and usual nexus of money and politicians. By a conservative estimate, to export that much of 'beef', the system needs to grant X number of slaughter licenses but in reality, across India the licensed slaughter houses are just couple of dozens. But to run a processing Unit (much profitable) one needs only a trade license (easy to come) and a certified Vet. The haphazard collection and panning is mostly left to a particular uneducated community who undertakes this perilous job at the risk of getting lynched and the processing units within their secured walls have no problem with processing the goods delivered at door step in dead of night. If you are wondering who owns these Units, look no further then local politicians’ puppeting the show from back end and have a fulltime job of politicking in day time.
If you are looking for a better quality mutton and/or beef, you should be visiting your local butcher on Sunday and Friday. More specifically on Sunday, they slaughter the castrated Goats. Mutton tastes different and much tender than wild ones

Never noticed a better shave. However, I did notice it created a better lather. Maybe it's because it made a creamy lather rather than an airy one. I got rid of my boar brush because I prefer synthetic. It sounds odd that I got rid of a brush that created a better lather, but the lather would also disappear from the brush. Couldn't figure it out so I got rid of it.

I am currently breaking in a Razorock professional boar brush with olive wood handle - the bristles are getting nice and soft. The bristles seem to be much thinner than those on my Samogue Owners Club and Omega brushes. Generally, I like the feel of boar bristle when I face lather (almost exclusively, except for the rare instances when I am using a cream). I find that I need to use more soap with a boar than with a badger brush or frequently, I will need to re-load before the 2nd pass.

I am currently breaking in a Razorock professional boar brush with olive wood handle.

AKA a Zenith 506UL boar brush. Good stuff.

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well after reading this thread this morning I
Used two different boar brushes for my shave
Today and I didn't get twice as close :)
But seriously I didn't notice anything different
because of the Brushes

I've used synths, boars, and lots of badgers and I've gotten great shaves after lathering with them all. I've also gotten bad shaves after lathering with all three types. So for me, I have a preference, but it has to do with the feel of the brush, not the resulting shave.

In export, if one count in the Indian cow breeds that helped Brazil with white revolution, Indian cows will probably tilt the spot at No 1 for India ;) at least 2 local draught resistant breeds from India rank at respective 3 and 4th position in the total livestock count of Brazil.

Sorry this is OT but couldn’t resist.

Nav, there is no mismatch. Simply a case of management of gutter press and usual nexus of money and politicians. By a conservative estimate, to export that much of 'beef', the system needs to grant X number of slaughter licenses but in reality, across India the licensed slaughter houses are just couple of dozens. But to run a processing Unit (much profitable) one needs only a trade license (easy to come) and a certified Vet. The haphazard collection and panning is mostly left to a particular uneducated community who undertakes this perilous job at the risk of getting lynched and the processing units within their secured walls have no problem with processing the goods delivered at door step in dead of night. If you are wondering who owns these Units, look no further then local politicians’ puppeting the show from back end and have a fulltime job of politicking in day time.
If you are looking for a better quality mutton and/or beef, you should be visiting your local butcher on Sunday and Friday. More specifically on Sunday, they slaughter the castrated Goats. Mutton tastes different and much tender than wild ones

That sounds about right!!
No surprise about the massive disconnect between the government and the people.
Funny how the citizens believe the media and totally missed the reality of what's going on with beef exports.
I've only been here a little over 2 years but there's many areas of huge disconnect, hypocrisy and contradiction here!

Cheers for the tip about the mutton! :D

I tend to get closer shaves when my stubble is properly prepared. I face lather, so spending a bit more time lathering up goes a long way. For me the type of the brush does not play much of a role. I just find it more comfortable and enjoyable using natural hair brushes.

I mostly use Boar's but can't say I get a closer shave with them than any other hair type. I will say that I prefer a boar over other types, there is just something about the face feel of my Omega boars that I like best.

I've just started using boar brushes and I've been reading a lot of threads about them. I've noticed a few posts saying you can get a closer shave with a boar brush because it lifts the hair more, or conditions the hair+skin better. Not sure exactly what, and this may be just anecdotal. For my part, I'm getting very close shaves with my boar brushes, but I'm not jumping to conclusions.

Can anyone shed any light on this idea?

That's the first I heard of this lol.

A brush makes lather and my provide some mild exfoliation but what really makes a shave close other that the blades/razors is how well you prep your facial hair and skin pre shave.

A good facial scrub really helps.

Mawashi

A brush makes lather and my provide some mild exfoliation but what really makes a shave close other that the blades/razors is how well you prep your facial hair and skin pre shave.
A good facial scrub really helps.
Yup, I dont think of a leather loaded brush anything more than a very mildly abrasive loofah.

So weirdly enough I came across this thread because I'd done a google search for specifically this question. I have to say, I do definitely get a closer shave with a boar. It has to be a boar with a short loft so that it scrubs my face whilst applying lather. My theory is that because I have a really tough beard, the little hooks help to pull up the hairs as I apply the lather with brush and this allows the razor to get closer to the face. I also get far less ingrown hairs when I use a boar as opposed to any other type of brush.
I've tried other brushes, G3 and G4 synthetic, badger etc and a boar really seems to do my furry face quite a lot of good, especially on a 1 day growth where the beard clings extra hard to the skin. I've not found my perfect boar brush yet but I'm working on it, hoping the Semogue Taj boar will do it for me.

Reactions: nav
Talk about thread resurrection. Three years since I commented on this and nothing has changed for me. If I get a good lather with a boar, with a badger, and with a synth, and use the same razor and blade, the shave will be the same.

Top Bottom