What's new

Do you get a closer shave with a boar brush?

Ah glad someone said hogwash that was going to be my next line. AT the very least, hogscrub. Really though, I have to say, I honestly do get a closer shave with a boar. believe me I wish I didn't, I have a lovely Outlaw Titanium handled beauty in my cabinet which cost a silly amount of money and feels amazing against the face. I used it this morning and I have razor burn and badness all over the place and I can already feel the stubble coming through again. My boar on the other hand cost about £30 and gives me the smoothest shave that lasts a good 12h. Yes I know that might seem short but I have a silly beard. I think my beard may be boar based which is why it work sso well.

So weirdly enough I came across this thread because I'd done a google search for specifically this question. I have to say, I do definitely get a closer shave with a boar. It has to be a boar with a short loft so that it scrubs my face whilst applying lather. My theory is that because I have a really tough beard, the little hooks help to pull up the hairs as I apply the lather with brush and this allows the razor to get closer to the face. I also get far less ingrown hairs when I use a boar as opposed to any other type of brush.
I've tried other brushes, G3 and G4 synthetic, badger etc and a boar really seems to do my furry face quite a lot of good, especially on a 1 day growth where the beard clings extra hard to the skin. I've not found my perfect boar brush yet but I'm working on it, hoping the Semogue Taj boar will do it for me.

Try the connaught shaving omega jade boar. I feel it's the pinnacle of boar brushes!

Well, what they serve as beef in India is actually buffalo.
Because if it was cow being served up, the shop would be set alight fairly quickly!

I sure hope this is not the "beef" being exported!

"The largest beef-consuming countries in absolute numbers are the United States, followed by Brazil, and China. In terms of exportation, the world's largest beef exporting countries are Brazil, India, Australia, United States, and New Zealand." Dec 10, 2018 - World Atlas

From the article:

India is an equally large global beef exporter, exporting 1,850,000 metric tons in 2016. The country ranks fifth globally in terms of beef production and seventh in domestic consumption. Despite a ban on cow slaughter, as the animal is considered sacred in the Hindu religion, the country's export figures have remained high due to water buffalo meat, also known as carabeef. Carabeef constitutes the greatest portion of the beef trade in India, enabling India to become the world's second largest exporter, accounting for nearly 20% of world beef exports.​

On Topic:
A closer shave comes from technique mastery

Try the connaught shaving omega jade boar. I feel it's the pinnacle of boar brushes!
Been some discussion about this brush lately... Seems like Omega has changed the brush and not said anything to anyone. Supposedly the new one is much less dense than the old one and is very noticeable to those that have both offerings!!

Reactions: nav

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do not - I am forced to use a razor for a close shave.

I am a daily shaver and the idea that those little hairs that comprise my stubble need "lifting" is quite a distance beyond belief. I have boar, badger and synthetic and each brush has virtues and requirements for excellent lather - and no difference in the closeness of the shave.

The only way I can imagine a brush influencing the closeness of a shave is if you had not yet discovered the lathering requirements (how damp/water to product ratio, etc.) of that particular brush.

Been some discussion about this brush lately... Seems like Omega has changed the brush and not said anything to anyone. Supposedly the new one is much less dense than the old one and is very noticeable to those that have both offerings!!

I have one manufactured within the last 12-18 months.
It's not the most dense brush but the combination of short loft, large 28mm knot and medium density is just perfection.
Superb flow through and it holds enough lather for 5 passes.

I had one about 10 years ago but for some reason sold it without using it so I can't compare the density.
But as it is, I love this brush!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Absolutely!
I find the closest shave ever comes if you use a boar brush AND you had bacon for breakfast.
In fact, I use a Badger brush for a week with one blade, then when my shaves get lousy, I switch to a boar brush and get another comfortable week out of the blade.
I've found that if I need to paint a wall, washing the wall with a boar brush before scraping gets more of the paint off.
I frequently use a boar brush on lumber before sanding to get a really smooth finish.

Absolutely!
I find the closest shave ever comes if you use a boar brush AND you had bacon for breakfast.
In fact, I use a Badger brush for a week with one blade, then when my shaves get lousy, I switch to a boar brush and get another comfortable week out of the blade.
I've found that if I need to paint a wall, washing the wall with a boar brush before scraping gets more of the paint off.
I frequently use a boar brush on lumber before sanding to get a really smooth finish.
I have also discovered luvmysuper that I get wayyy better results when applying armor-all to the pickup tires when using my favorite boar brush…

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have also discovered luvmysuper that I get wayyy better results when applying armor-all to the pickup tires when using my favorite boar brush…
There's just SOMETHING about a boar brush that lets you get closer!
I hope stalkers don't discover this.

• Haha
Reactions: JPO

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not know about getting a closer shave with boar brush, I use synthetic, badger and boar brushes and my shaves are consistent great.
I will suggest that if you suffer from ingrown hairs a boar brush soaked half way up the knot for a couple of minutes before use will give a person a chance to possibly free the ingrown hair to protrude through the skin during the shave.
The boar brushes are know to have a stiffer bristle for the scrub you will need to grab the hairs and change direction to the surface possible. Boar brushes can also be soft if a person prefers this also but the bristle is has a taller loft.
The best scrubber I have in badger is a Yaqi 22mm " ever-helpful" 2band with a short loft, this brush is amazing if a person likes the scrub and it will give any boar a run for its money for nice Scrubbing (It is designed for the scrubbing IMO but still has soft tips for a nice scrub & a nice lather painter also!)
Yaqi #1 ever-helpfull 22mm 2 band badger.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom