What's new

Do you freeze new cigars before adding to your stash?

Do you freeze your new cigars? If Yes how long?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • 24 hours

• 2-5 days

• 1 week

• 1-2 weeks

• 2+ weeks

• Total voters

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I know some guys do, some guys don’t.

Some guys freeze all new cigars for 1-2 weeks. Some do it for 24 hours.

What’s your strategy?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Lasioderma serricorne, the bane of cigar smokers.

I keep my Coolerdors in the coolest part of my home at <50°F and between 60% - 65% RH and have not, to date (knock on wood), had a tobacco beetle breakout.

Agree with @ChefJohnBoy-ardee that purchasing your cigars from an established and reputable Tobacconist helps prevent issues.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So if I buy Cubans from anywhere other than Cuba they should be fine? So I’m trusting that the guy that I buy from froze them or something?

and then any other cigars should be fine?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The only beetles I had was from a Cuban my uncle gave me he gets from his Rastafarian supplier who has family in Cuba when he goes to Vegas.
I also don’t bother with keeping my sticks cool anymore either. But I don’t have any stock of huge value or scarcity either.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So if I buy Cubans from anywhere other than Cuba they should be fine? So I’m trusting that the guy that I buy from froze them or something?

and then any other cigars should be fine?

If you’re buying any Cubans that were expected off of the island they were frozen. Supposedly any cigar that is rolled and packaged by HSA is frozen as well. Where you get into issues is custom rolls or farm rolls. Those aren’t treated after being rolled. It’s easier to freeze them and have some peace of mind. I’ll still freeze anything I bring back from the island. If I’m buying them retail, I don’t bother.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If you’re buying any Cubans that were expected off of the island they were frozen. Supposedly any cigar that is rolled and packaged by HSA is frozen as well. Where you get into issues is custom rolls or farm rolls. Those aren’t treated after being rolled. It’s easier to freeze them and have some peace of mind. I’ll still freeze anything I bring back from the island. If I’m buying them retail, I don’t bother.

+1 Several years back my brother was visiting a farm while on vacation in the DR and someone rolled him a dozen or so sticks right there in front of him. He froze them when bringing them home.

Top Bottom