What's new

Do You Fly the Flag?

That Maryland flag is definitely a cool flag.

According to Wikipedia, in 2001 the North American Vexillological Association ranked it "fourth best in design quality out of the 72 Canadian provincial, U.S. state, and U.S. territory flags ranked." It finished behind the flags of New Mexico, Texas and Quebec respectively.

I'm not sure I agree with these rankings. Calfornia came in 13th, and I think it should have been higher. Maybe not higher than Maryland, though.

Just proves that flag polsters take bribes. That's all it proves. :D

Woah . . . looks like something to wave at a finish line at a race. I had a lecture once from some cousins from Maryland . . . apparently we are not to say Mary Land but something. . . like . . . and did I learn at all .. Meralind?

Depending on where you are from, but yeah... Mare-lin or Murlan are the two typical. And who knows how the folks from Dundalk pronounce it:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Depending on where you are from, but yeah... Mare-lin or Murlan are the two typical. And who knows how the folks from Dundalk pronounce it:

And then there are the Australians from Melbourne. Apparently, it's "Mehh-bin".

Years ago I worked for a while with someone from Maryland. I don't remember much of an accent, but I do remember that there was no 't' in Baltimore.

Apropos dialects and pronunciation Stateside , its thanks to George W, that in the UK we often refer to "Murkins".

But in a fond way.

BTW, like the earlier poster, on my visits to the States over the years, I have always respected the way you fly the flag with obvious pride - something sadly lacking in the UK.

My dad had a big flag pole in the front yard. Us kids had the duty to raise and lower it each day and to fold it properly. I don’t have a big pole here but do fly the flag off the front porch. I’m a firm believer that the flag and country belong to all of us.

Nope, the only people who pronounce the T are people not from Marylin. If you pronounce the L, you're not from the City. Bawmer. It's very hard to spell the accent we use. Very nasal. I'd recommend watching the documentary Hairspray to hear some of the best. Or I'm sure you could find some pre Covid local news coverage of our beloved sports teams.

MichaelUK, something to consider. Our country is both very very big and very young. The size and geo/social political variances alone pose a not insignificant challenge to a unifying culture. The differences in both rural and urban but also each and every kind of environmental climate found on earth. That makes our differences seem big. But flying the flag is our way of saying even though we're nothing alike in any other way, you're still my countryman. Or shorthand for Murica, F*** Yeah!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Or shorthand for Murica, F*** Yeah!
1591138077754.png

Having visited the US many times I was surprised at how I admired the patriotism and displays of the national flag. In the UK displays of the Union Jack are often considered a little eccentric or even unpleasantly nationalistic which is a pity. Some of the pride that was once held for the UK has been lost somewhere along the way, I am not sure why. Good for you for proudly flying your Flag 👍

Sad but true, anyone who flies the flag of St George is considered a racist (by those of a left wing persuasion). When it gets near National Day here (Aug 9), every Singaporean car will have a mini flag, and every Singaporean apartment block will have literally hundreds of flags from balconies and windows.singapore-august-2019-full-national-600w-1469940734.jpg

Nice to see people who have pride in their country.

One of my favorite childhood memories is when, at the age of seven, more than sixty years ago, I was issued my first library card in the Bronx, New York, and the librarian had me raise my hand and swear on the flag that I wouldn't damage the books. It is important to respect both books and our flag.

I always had good experiences in the New York Public Library - perhaps that's why I became a librarian.

Our kids did the strangest thing, they all grew up and fled the nest When we owned the house we flew the flag on a 30 foot flagpole in our front yard. We down sized and bought a condo unit, thus no more front yard. Despite that issue, we still proudly fly "old glory" albeit a bit downsized, but still displayed.
DSCI0820.JPG

Mine is up and lit at night, 24 x 7. The only time it comes down is on my Dad's Birthday and the day of his death, where I fly the flag that was on his coffin.

I was Vietnam era (as was my wife), My dad was Korea, and his dad was WW1.

At my dad's funeral, I pressed my Air Force pin into his coffin, one of his granddaughters (Captain, Army) pressed her pin, then one of his grandsons (Army, 2 tours Afghanistan), hammered his in as well.

We all saluted and then the bugler (another granddaughter) played Taps.

No one, and I mean NO ONE is going to tell me that I cannot fly this nations colors.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I see any more England flags I might just move back up to Scotland. :letterk1:

:biggrin1:

If I was going to fly a flag for some reason, it would be the Yorkshire flag, or Union flag. I consider myself British and a Yorkshireman. Being English is kind of incidental and not hugely relevant for me, probably because I don't follow sports.

Top Bottom