What's new

Do you flip the DE blade?

Just curious, I use Astra blades and have tried turning the blades over after every couple of shaves and have shaved without turning the blade and I can't tell any difference. The blade seems to last the same length of time no matter if I flip it or not.

Does anyone else have this experience? Or do you get more shaves when flipping?
I thought turning the blade would be like rotating tires on a car, but maybe not? :001_rolle

I have done this, I have a very course beard, ingrown hairs, and sensitive skin. I do flip the blade by pulling it out after (2) shaves,WTG,ACTG,ATG. I also flip the edge from side to side after (1) stroke. I really can't tell the difference either, but with my course beard I can only use a blade for (3-4) shaves, after that I get bad razor burn and ingrowns and a not so close shave!

This is one of the most prevalent myths in DE shaving. As much as I try to convince my dad otherwise, he still does it. I agree with it being useless but maybe it worked for the thicker DE blades from decades ago?

Flipping is totally pointless. Everytime you shave you use both sides of the blade anyway.

Both sides yes, but how about top/bottom? My undereducated guess would be that it doesn't really make any difference, but I'm curious to see what others think.

Both sides yes, but how about top/bottom?

It's the same thing. An edge is comprised of the intersection of two planes. One or both of the planes can be created by grinding. You shave with the edge, not with "sides" or "top/bottom".

Flipping makes no difference.
-- Chet

It's the same thing. An edge is comprised of the intersection of two planes. One or both of the planes can be created by grinding. You shave with the edge, not with "sides" or "top/bottom".

Flipping makes no difference.
-- Chet

+ Infinity.

No matter how you flip, turn, or otherwise position a DE blade, it still only has two cutting edges (one on each side of the blade), so this exercise is 100% pointless. I would further advise against it, because excessive handling of the blade increases your opportunity for cutting yourself.

Anal nut job that I am, I take apart or twist open my razor for a quick cleaning after every shave. Since it is open- I turn the blade- though I do think it is probably a useless thing to do.

Top Bottom