What's new

Do you find yourself dedicating a particular pipe to 1 tobacco?

I have pipes dedicated to VAs, to VAPERS, and to English/Balkans. I have several "beater" pipes that are more or less dedicated to Connoisseur Flake from Park Lane. These are my "yardwork" pipes and CF is an effortless all day smoke with great flavor, especially aged, which seems to work well when I'm outside doing stuff. It makes sense to me to dedicate pipes to classes of tobacco to minimize ghosting. My rationale is that pipe tobacco is expensive and, if aged, limited, so why waste it on a ghosted pipe?

I suppose I'm going to dedicate the Jansen's bent apple pipe to EGR, or if I try an English blend I'll smoke it in that. The rest of my leaf stash is codger blends and semi-aromatics, so I can hop around among my pipe collection with those.

EGR tastes pretty good out of a pipe dedicated to English. The latikia gets a little more pronounced and adds a little depth to the smoke. Still closer to codger than American English.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Almost all of my pipes are dedicated to blend categories. About five or six pipes are dedicated to specific blends. It has been a conscious effort. I've also had a few pipes that started off being dedicated to a specific blend, but turned into category pipes eventually. I think pipe dedication can be rewarding if you enjoy examining the subtle nuances of different tobaccos.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've got a Fairchild Zulu that does some amazing things with Old Gowrie. Aside from that my pipes are dedicated to a type of tobacco rather than a specific blend.

I guess I do have a pipe sort of dedicated to Crooner, but I consider it a deertongue pipe, and crooner is the only deertongue blend I've picked up.
Can you explain what deer tongue brings to the taste?

Can you explain what deer tongue brings to the taste?

It's hard to describe. To me it's definitely an herbal taste, maybe a bit minty. Think sweet spices you'd taste in baked goods. Like the bastard child of cinnamon and clove. Sort of a vanilla taste too, but different than the normal vanilla aromatics. In all fairness, I've only ever had Crooner. For all I know deertongue may be completely tasteless, and I just described everything else in Crooner. :001_unsur

Crooner has a lot going on. It would be my award winner for the tobacco that tastes the most like it smells. PM me your address, if you'd like, and I'll send you a sample. Just be forewarned, it rivals lakelands for ghosting pipes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's hard to describe. To me it's definitely an herbal taste, maybe a bit minty. Think sweet spices you'd taste in baked goods. Like the bastard child of cinnamon and clove. Sort of a vanilla taste too, but different than the normal vanilla aromatics. In all fairness, I've only ever had Crooner. For all I know deertongue may be completely tasteless, and I just described everything else in Crooner. :001_unsur

Crooner has a lot going on. It would be my award winner for the tobacco that tastes the most like it smells. PM me your address, if you'd like, and I'll send you a sample. Just be forewarned, it rivals lakelands for ghosting pipes.
Thanks so much, Nate.

Top Bottom