What's new

Do you find yourself dedicating a particular pipe to 1 tobacco?

I hadn't planned it. I really hadn't. But somehow I've wound up like this:

Half & Half: small pipes like the London Briar straight and the new lightly-bent baby Savinelli

Sir Walter and his cousin Aromatic: the 307 Peterson

EGR: either the Savinelli billiard or the Jansen bent billiard

Other codgers, Carter Hall, Edgeworth Match, Field & Stream Match, and Granger I smoke in the Colossal billiard, the Rigoletto pot-shape pipe, or the Lorenzo sitter with the thick walls.

It's not fixed; I've run EGR in the Peterson and H & H and other codgers in the Jansen. But most of the time it shakes out like this. If you do the same, was it a conscious decision, or did you simply wake up one day and realize you were doing it?

In short, no. I do tend to smoke particular genres of tobacco in certain shapes/pipes. Virginia and derivatives in billiard types, heavy English/Balkans in author’s, aeros in cobs/meers,etc. These are not hard and fast rules, but how it seems to work.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I smoke a variety of blends and styles in some of my pipes, and I dedicate some of my pipes to particular styles. While I generally don't dedicate a pipe to a specific blend, I do have a handful pipes that just matched up beautifully with a particular tobacco, and I have dedicated those to particular blends.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have an Peterson 03 Killarney that is dedicated to 1792 because that was the first pipe I smoked 1792 in, and really how much more 1792 would you want than that little pipe can hold?

I smoke styles of tobaccos in specific pipes for the most part. Every once I a blue moon a tobacco smokes perfectly out of a specific pipe and I only smoke that pipe with that tobacco.

I have a Stanwell that smokes And So To Bed like nothing other. That pipe is my sole ASTB pipe. I’ve got another doing the same with Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I dedicate MacBaren HH Virginia Flake to my 2018 LE pipe. From there, I keep other VAs and English blends in their own pipes. My other VA pipes are the 2017 LE (Larrysson), my 50th birthday pipe (Larrysson), Pegasus horn, and Peterson B62. My English pipes are my 2019 LE (DR Franc), 2020 LE (Askwith), my other DR Franc Morta, 2013 LE (Tinsky), its morta brother, and Dragonbriar with mammoth tooth accent. I may be missing a couple. Because Latakia is a bit overpowering, I never smoke it in VA pipes. I don’t like Perique, but I would segregate it, too, if I smoked it.

Generally, I keep pipes in the VA category or the English.

I have one bulldog Radice that is set aside for 2 blends - Renaissance and 3 Oaks Syrian. Both are medium Syrian Latakia blends.

I tend to have pipes for family, rather than single blends. I just haven't recognized it yet when everything clicks on the perfect combination of pipe and tobacco. And even the pipes for family had some serious overlap. So in the end there's a straight Virginia briar and cob, a couple lat heavy pipes, 5 for aromatics (with 2 for Lakeland essences), a bunch of whatever pipes, and 2 cobs in the Charger and one in the saddlebag of the bike for whatever I have or just got.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A lot do. It was a more common practice in the past, where a gentleman would favor one daily, and every pipe would be fed the exact same thing.

I’ll tend to stay within genre lines like many do, and not share a more delicate blend with a known ghost maker in the same pipe.

The closest I come nowadays to a true dedicated pipe are several that I prefer for my morning PA (now LLRR), and one older Vauen apple I used recently to polish off a broken tin of MB Scottish Mixture a while back. I will say the Vauen had a pleasant disposition by the end, and was the better for it.

I tend to do just that. Aromatics go in a Mark Tinsky or Stanwell. Virginia’s in a Rad Davis bent Billiard. Va Pers in a different custom from Rad. Club Blend in one of my own made “garage pipes”.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The only thing I do is make sure I don’t smoke a latakia blend in my Va pipes. I will smoke a Va in a Lat pipe, but never vice versa.

Aromatics only in cobs. If I found an aromatic I really liked and smoked often I would dedicate a good briar to it.

Not really but I get where your coming from. Macbarren Red, White and Black cross all my pipes. I do tend to just smoke my Froggy latika in a MM poker.

I don’t really specify other than my Ruins of Isenguard in the 2020LE, something about that pairing is magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t really specify other than my Ruins of Isenguard in the 2020LE, something about that pairing is magical.

In don’t dedicate pipes to different tobaccos because I stay mostly in a single genres, however, I have noticed the same tobacco will taste somewhat differently in different pipes. Always good but different for better or worse. My morning smoke with deep strong coffee is the best smoke of the day without fail regardless of the blend. As the day goes on, pipe after pipe, my taste diminishes. Never the less, I push on relentlessly knowing i will face the dreaded dental hygienist every six months and will continue to ignore her admonishments and sit bravely as she digs, scrapes and and grunts.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

That’s what I’m talking about. Sometimes you find a combo that just clicks and you gotta stick with it.

I've got a Fairchild Zulu that does some amazing things with Old Gowrie. Aside from that my pipes are dedicated to a type of tobacco rather than a specific blend.

I guess I do have a pipe sort of dedicated to Crooner, but I consider it a deertongue pipe, and crooner is the only deertongue blend I've picked up.

Top Bottom