What's new

Do you find that the very best edges you get from different honing methods and/or hones is very similar regarding shaving properties?

This is a question more for you that have been honing razors for several years now.

Do you find that the very best edges you get from different honing methods and/or hones is very similar regarding shaving properties ( sharp, keen, smooth) or different? With some methods/hones you may get this edges regularly and only in between with others.

Another way to put it, are they more or less similar than razors honed with the same method/hones?

You’re asking about consistency, right? You’ve definitely got to dial in the resources to achieve consistency.

Let say you hone 100 razors and use different finishers and put away the 20 best shavers and forget about them.
Would you after one year be able to tell what kind of finisher used for the different razors if shaving with them?
Like perhaps jnat, thuri, coti, synthetic.

Good question, those you suggested are unmistakably a particular type of face feel. I think you would be able to identify them once you got used to them. I’ve got some sets of “identical” razors that will eventually get this type of treatment, but its slow goings unfortunately, too many distractions right now.

I can tell the difference between synthetic and coti edges but also record data such as method and hone used just to be sure.

With different finishers and/or honing methods the output ratio of edges I like the most vary.
For now JNAT slurry on JNAT and Thuri edges give me the highest ratio “top shavers”, for my preferences.

Some methods/hones produce good edges with high ratio but perhaps only 10-15% of the output falls into the top shaver category for me. These that do I find to shave very similar to my other top shavers.

This is perhaps not that strange as a top edge for my preference must meet some criteria. And if it does there is probably very limited possibility for variation why these edges then feel similar.
Well that’s my thought.

I have a seven day set that I need to restore somewhere down the line.
One of the reasons I bought it (but it's a distant second to one became available and I always wanted one) was, as the razors are identical, I intend putting different finishes on them so I can really dial in the differences.

This is a question more for you that have been honing razors for several years now.

Do you find that the very best edges you get from different honing methods and/or hones is very similar regarding shaving properties ( sharp, keen, smooth) or different? With some methods/hones you may get this edges regularly and only in between with others.

Another way to put it, are they more or less similar than razors honed with the same method/hones?

Very Similar.

No matter how I hone a razor,
I'm not done until I like the edge.

And croxing and stropping between shaves,
sometimes the edges get even sharper.

I also use CrOx on Balsa. Sometimes I leave it at that, sometimes I go further with FeOx.
The FeOx is a whole new level of sharp but, depending on the steel, can be too sharp and needs toning down with a strop with a very heavy draw.

Top Bottom