What's new

Do You Find That Reboiling Black Tea Makes it Darker and Stronger?

I find that if I brew black tea for five minutes and strain out the leaves, the first cup I pour will be more light brown than black. Nothing wrong with this, I believe that the taste of tea is about subtlety, but I find that if I reboil the tea it actually turns black and might even be stronger. Since I like to make my morning and work tea the night before and reheat it in the morning, do you think it would be possible to brew the loose leaves in cold water, strain out the leaves and not heat it up until morning, or is there something about the boiling water that makes it brew better?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I find that if I brew black tea for five minutes and strain out the leaves, the first cup I pour will be more light brown than black.

... I find that if I reboil the tea it actually turns black and might even be stronger.

When you speak of "re-boiling the tea", are you using the strained-out leaves to make more tea with hot (boiling) water ... or are you re-heating the already-made tea that now has the leaves removed?

When you speak of "re-boiling the tea", are you using the strained-out leaves to make more tea with hot (boiling) water ... or are you re-heating the already-made tea that now has the leaves removed?

This is with the leaves removed. I find that if you leave the tea leaves in for too long, the tea starts tasting like soap. Like I said before, I think it might be that the tea is lighter on top and darker on the bottom.

Top Bottom