What's new

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

• Total voters
Interestingly, although the poll wasn't about actual use, it almost reflects the percentage of electric users vs "other" traditionally for US shavers - which is consistently around 35-40%.

I used electrics for years, with the last being a Panasonic Arc-4 or Arc-5. Decent quick shave, if you use just a tad of gel, but still always had those missed spots. Problem was they're designed to be 'disposable', once the battery starts not holding a charge well. (Figure 3-4 years, if using it daily). By the time you replace the battery, which sort of kills the water intrusion protection, and factor in a new set of cutters and screen, you can buy another one. Never found a rotary that shaved close enough, and the Remington screen would breakdown in a few months, usually slicing your neck in the process, when a chunk fell out of it.

After something like 30 years of electrics, I came back to a blade. I enjoy the scent, and feeling of working up that nice face lather with a brush, as well as how smooth the final results are. Figure I might as well enjoy the process, as I like that super smooth BBS feeling afterwards for hours.

I don’t know what you mean by disposable. Like any product with a rechargeable battery, it has a limited lifespan. Unfortunately, they don’t make corded shavers in the high end models any longer. My last Panasonic ES8103 lasted five years and it was less expensive to replace it than to try to replace the batteries, the screens and the cutters. My current shaver from Braun, is coming up on three years of age. I haven’t replaced the cutter cassette because the shaves haven’t deteriorated to spend the money. The battery still holds a full charge for two weeks. What more could I want. I shave daily.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I was a teen, I used to get the latest Norelco electric razor in my Christmas stocking every year. My Dad was an electric razor user. I never did like the feel when shaving with one. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I used to borrow my mom's TTO DE razor or her Schick injector razor and liked that better, but I didn't really have any commitment to shaving routines.

I graduated from HS and just a few days later, left for Indonesia. I did take my latest Norelco with me but the electricity didn't match up so I couldn't use it. People have asked me what I used while I was there. I really don't remember. I was there for a few weeks short of 2 years but I can't remember shaving. I know, I had a beard off and on... It's odd to me that I don't remember that part of my stay there. It could just be that we had no running water.. and certainly no hot water, so it wasn't memorable.

My dad was a DE shaver and switched to electrics for the past 40+ years. He swears they work as well and faster than DE shaving. He used canned foam as I remember, so it's no wonder that electrics are more comfortable to him. (Canned foam and gel are next to useless, to me, and provide only a tiny bit of slickness and virtually zero protection against irritation.)

He used to give us electric razors also. I used them for years and they always irritated my neck; I thought the constant razor burn was normal. (It never occurred to me to pursue remedies outside of basic aftershave.)

I would enjoy electric shaving much more if I could still use this outlet. I photographed it in a Swiss railway coach, perhaps 40 years old, a couple of weeks ago. You will note that it accepts both American and European plugs, but you will need a shaver with a voltage selector if you come from the States.

Attachments

• P1140138 (2).JPG
    P1140138 (2).JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 2
I would enjoy electric shaving much more if I could still use this outlet. I photographed it in a Swiss railway coach, perhaps 40 years old, a couple of weeks ago. You will note that it accepts both American and European plugs, but you will need a shaver with a voltage selector if you come from the States.
I think that all the newer shavers will automatically switch from 120v AC to 220v AC when plugged in. Most of the new shavers are rechargeable. My Braun series 7 shaver will hold a charge for two weeks shaving daily. If you are just visiting, you may not have to plug the shaver itto the socket at all.

Don't like them at all, but we are all different 👍
Electric shavers are evolving over the years. Therefore, the manufacturers offer 30 or 90 day money back guarantees. If you purchase one, use it for a couple of weeks, which allows your skin and beard to acclimate, then you can send it back to the manufacturer and they will refund your money. If it doesn’t interest you then don’t even try one out.

I used an electric in the past when traveling, but always had to put up with irritation, especially on my neck.
I've since put together a travel kit that contains a 4 piece razor, synthetic brush, Arko stick, etc., and never looked back. :001_rolle

You would think by now they would have invented something that works better. Something with a sharp blade that just slices the hairs off when you pass it over your face. And maybe even something that doesn’t need to be charged up. It ought to be possible, surely.

Electric razors have technique. Sounds familiar, right? After an initial adjustment period for the face technique matters. Too many guys add pressure and keep going over the same patch of skin repeatedly. Imagine what would happen if a DE were in your hand?

I enjoy the electric shave as much as the DE or the cart shave. Each brings something to experience, each has its place, but each may not be for everyone.

You would think by now they would have invented something that works better. Something with a sharp blade that just slices the hairs off when you pass it over your face. And maybe even something that doesn’t need to be charged up. It ought to be possible, surely.
If you think about how an electric shaver works, it’s obvious why it would be difficult to improve or design a different system. The blades are separated from your face by either a thin metal shield with small holes or rotating blades separated from your skin by slots in a metal head. Manufacturers have attempted to make the protected shields as thin and flexible as possible and still prevent direct contact of your skin with the blades. An electric shaver works more like a scissor than a razor blade. The hairs of your beard are cut off as close to the surface of your skin as possible rather than the blades scraping off your beard.

There has been only one screen type shaver that I bought which didn’t work well at all. It was a Remington and the screens failed monthly and the blades corroded requiring replacement frequently. It was the first shaver that was designed to be rinsed daily. After six months of frustration I trashed it, and I never allowed water to touch my Braun series 7 which is my current shaver. I did use a Panasonic shaver in between and it could be rinsed. However, the replacement screens and cutters were very expensive. Instead of replacing them, I bought a Braun shaver.

Electric razors have technique. Sounds familiar, right? After an initial adjustment period for the face technique matters. Too many guys add pressure and keep going over the same patch of skin repeatedly. Imagine what would happen if a DE were in your hand?

I enjoy the electric shave as much as the DE or the cart shave. Each brings something to experience, each has its place, but each may not be for everyone.
You are correct about acclimating to the electric shaver and about technique.

I've used just about every shaving implement and brand of known to man except for a straight and variants, and every one required me to become familiar with the tool and my face, over time. Sometimes a lot of time, sometimes not, but eventually I adapted to all of them with the right technique. Electrics are no different than any other device designed to remove hair from your face, and as a broad and general statement, given the above, the essential difference between a blade and electric shave is that a blade shaves closer. That's it. Some might not be willing to invest the time it takes to perfect a technique (straights come to mind, but cart shavers might think the same of DEs, and DE shavers might think the same of electrics), some might not favor the closeness of the shave (see previous), some might not have a face or beard that easily lends itself to one device or technique, but I can guarantee from my experience that a good shave is possible with just about anything made to remove facial hair, with enough time, interest and determination. You might take a look at some of the razors used by BCE Egyptians, or Sumerians, or Romans, or even sharp flint knives, and wonder "How did they do it?" And realize that the tools we find were actually in someone's hand centuries or Eons ago, and someone used one to remove hair from their face, a fairly elective procedure that they didn't really need to do (hence, beards :p). Historical True Grit, from the ancestors of all of us. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom