What's new

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

• Total voters
Not really, but electric shaving fits my lifestyle better. It's cheap and convenient. I wish that electric shavers weren't so full of gimmicks, though- all you really need is a basic foil or rotary shaver you can just plug into a wall, otherwise the basic technology has changed little in 70 years, the rest is convenience or techno-gadgetry .

Short answer is that it’s fast, convenient and safe. I awake and shave first thing after visiting the porcelain thron. It takes me five to six minutes to shave depending on my wakefulness. I never nick or cut myself and cleanup takes less than 30 seconds. I wouldn’t go back to blade shaving for anything.

Nope.

Shaved with carts for many years. My dad was always a Norelco rotary guy, and with William's Lectric Shave he got baby smooth shaves, so I tried electric for years and never got the shave he did. In fact, after every electric shave I had to go back and touch up the same areas (neck, chin/lower lip) with a cartridge razor just to get a passable shave. I've tried many electrics, foil and rotary and never got even a cartridge-quality shave from any of them, though the rotary was best.

I just switched to DE and I am getting the best shaves of my 65 year-old life. I'm retired, shaving a few times a week, and have the time to enjoy a wet shave.

Nope.

Shaved with carts for many years. My dad was always a Norelco rotary guy, and with William's Lectric Shave he got baby smooth shaves, so I tried electric for years and never got the shave he did. In fact, after every electric shave I had to go back and touch up the same areas (neck, chin/lower lip) with a cartridge razor just to get a passable shave. I've tried many electrics, foil and rotary and never got even a cartridge-quality shave from any of them, though the rotary was best.

I just switched to DE and I am getting the best shaves of my 65 year-old life. I'm retired, shaving a few times a week, and have the time to enjoy a wet shave.
Everyone is different, such as you and your dad, I enjoy electrics, straights, carts and de. I agree electrics are not for everyone jmo

I always enjoyed using my Trac II razor more than my electric but, the electric was faster and more convenient. So for many years I used an electric about 90% of the time. Then I discovered B&B and I also retired and took up DE & SE shaving. I having used an electric razor in about 11 years.
Like the guy in the last post, I could not get my electric to cut my neck hairs either even using the side-burn trimmer.

No, not at all. I used to use an electric when I traveled. Putting up with a less than close shave, and neck irritation. I've since put together a wet saving travel kit.
To me at least, electric shaving is a chore, where as wet shaving is an enjoyable experience. But, to each his own. 🙂

I have a travel electric shaver (Braun M-90, uses 2 AA batteries). It doesn't work very well for the back of my neck, unfortunately (which is one of the reasons I got it). It's OK for touch-ups. I tried it once wet on my face when traveling and it worked...well...just OK. The result, to me, was a minimal "socially acceptable shave." I don't particularly enjoy shaving with an electric: It is unsatisfying to me compared to even a cartridge razor shave. DE shaving is much more satisfying and enjoyable to me for some reason.

I have a travel electric shaver (Braun M-90, uses 2 AA batteries). It doesn't work very well for the back of my neck, unfortunately (which is one of the reasons I got it). It's OK for touch-ups. I tried it once wet on my face when traveling and it worked...well...just OK. The result, to me, was a minimal "socially acceptable shave." I don't particularly enjoy shaving with an electric: It is unsatisfying to me compared to even a cartridge razor shave. DE shaving is much more satisfying and enjoyable to me for some reason.
It is very good for touch ups

I use an electric for traveling, which doesn't happen all that frequently. I can get an acceptable shave withone but by the time I'm done, my neck needs a long rest. I much prefer wet shaving.

Not any more. My newer, rechargeable shavers (Panasonic) don't seem to have the power of the older, mains operated/corded shavers. I find them rather ineffective, and it is tiresome shaving with them.

When I went to use the toilet in an older railway coach yesterday, I found an outlet/power point for electric shavers. Seemed to be a sad reminder of better times gone forever.

Not any more. My newer, rechargeable shavers (Panasonic) don't seem to have the power of the older, mains operated/corded shavers. I find them rather ineffective, and it is tiresome shaving with them.

When I went to use the toilet in an older railway coach yesterday, I found an outlet/power point for electric shavers. Seemed to be a sad reminder of better times gone forever.
Amen to that, a sad reminder of better times gone forever

Electric shaved daily for 30+ years up until this year.

It only takes 2 minutes,
18 years on my current razor,
2 months of daily shaves on a charge,
extremely low cost.
All the above a plus.

Satisfying?-NO.
Enjoyable,look forward to it experience?-NO.
Kind of a chore (even tho it only takes 2 minutes)?-YES.

So I still use it every other day between the wet shave days.
Gets the job done so it's tolerable but definitely not look-forward-to-it-enjoyable.

Wet shaving on the other hand is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

A barber on Youtube (Irish Turko BarBering) shaves his clients, wet 1st pass, then touches up with an electric razor. -i've tried it, albeit I use my favorite cart' Wilkinson Sword/Schick Protector 3, not a shavette, and I must say I quite like his technique. It gives me a very nice comfortable BBS. Furthermore, 24 hours on, stubble seems to be more uniform across the face

Last edited:
A barber on Youtube (Irish Turko BarBering) shaves his clients, wet 1st pass, then touches up with an electric razor. -i've tried it, albeit I use my favorite cart' Wilkinson Sword/Schick Protector 3, not a shavette, and I must say I quite like his technique. It gives me a very nice comfortable BBS. Furthermore, 24 hours on, stubble seems to be more uniform across the face
I saw an old time actor years ago say that in the movie industry the studio barber would do a one pass straight razor shave followed by an electric razor shave to give it smooth glass look on film

I used electrics for years, with the last being a Panasonic Arc-4 or Arc-5. Decent quick shave, if you use just a tad of gel, but still always had those missed spots. Problem was they're designed to be 'disposable', once the battery starts not holding a charge well. (Figure 3-4 years, if using it daily). By the time you replace the battery, which sort of kills the water intrusion protection, and factor in a new set of cutters and screen, you can buy another one. Never found a rotary that shaved close enough, and the Remington screen would breakdown in a few months, usually slicing your neck in the process, when a chunk fell out of it.

After something like 30 years of electrics, I came back to a blade. I enjoy the scent, and feeling of working up that nice face lather with a brush, as well as how smooth the final results are. Figure I might as well enjoy the process, as I like that super smooth BBS feeling afterwards for hours.

I used electrics for years, with the last being a Panasonic Arc-4 or Arc-5. Decent quick shave, if you use just a tad of gel, but still always had those missed spots. Problem was they're designed to be 'disposable', once the battery starts not holding a charge well. (Figure 3-4 years, if using it daily). By the time you replace the battery, which sort of kills the water intrusion protection, and factor in a new set of cutters and screen, you can buy another one. Never found a rotary that shaved close enough, and the Remington screen would breakdown in a few months, usually slicing your neck in the process, when a chunk fell out of it.

After something like 30 years of electrics, I came back to a blade. I enjoy the scent, and feeling of working up that nice face lather with a brush, as well as how smooth the final results are. Figure I might as well enjoy the process, as I like that super smooth BBS feeling afterwards for hours.
Electrics do have their place though

Top Bottom