What's new

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

Do you find electric shaving enjoyable?

• Total voters
I beard trimmered for years due to bad cartridge shaving experiences.

Lockdown introduced me to safety razor shaving. Now the rest is history. Cannot be a clean shave.

My stepdad, who shaved with a SuperSpeed until he died in 2001, gave me an electric for my 15 or 16th birthday in high school. I can't tell you how much I HATED that electric. When I went out-of-State to college in 1964, I switched to injector, then in the 1970s to carts, until I went all DE in 2009.

I've used just about every shaving implement and brand of known to man except for a straight and variants, and every one required me to become familiar with the tool and my face, over time. Sometimes a lot of time, sometimes not, but eventually I adapted to all of them with the right technique. Electrics are no different than any other device designed to remove hair from your face, and as a broad and general statement, given the above, the essential difference between a blade and electric shave is that a blade shaves closer. That's it. Some might not be willing to invest the time it takes to perfect a technique (straights come to mind, but cart shavers might think the same of DEs, and DE shavers might think the same of electrics), some might not favor the closeness of the shave (see previous), some might not have a face or beard that easily lends itself to one device or technique, but I can guarantee from my experience that a good shave is possible with just about anything made to remove facial hair, with enough time, interest and determination. You might take a look at some of the razors used by BCE Egyptians, or Sumerians, or Romans, or even sharp flint knives, and wonder "How did they do it?" And realize that the tools we find were actually in someone's hand centuries or Eons ago, and someone used one to remove hair from their face, a fairly elective procedure that they didn't really need to do (hence, beards :p). Historical True Grit, from the ancestors of all of us. :thumbup1:
I agree

I think that all the newer shavers will automatically switch from 120v AC to 220v AC when plugged in. Most of the new shavers are rechargeable. My Braun series 7 shaver will hold a charge for two weeks shaving daily. If you are just visiting, you may not have to plug the shaver itto the socket at all.

You miss the the point. I don't like rechargeable shavers - I only like mains only shavers, which are currently virtually unobtainable.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Sometimes it's bearable, sometimes torture. I voted hate it.

The problem I think is that cutters and foils are consumable items but we don't treat them as such. I'm not willing to replace them every month at half the cost of the razor. If they're even available.

my Braun 9385 beats every safety razor that I have in my arsenal, for speed and quality of the shave.

Me too, in every way - and without irritating itchy shaving bumps after the shave. (Braun Series 9 shaver)
I'm genuinely shocked. I have a Braun 9240s and it was a disappointment from day 1. I had such high hopes for it.

If I wet shave, then for 24-48 hours my face remains smoother than immediately after any electric shave I've ever had.

Electrics cut differently - they flag the tips of the hair making it feel soft and creating the illusion of a good shave.

They just don't seem to work for me.

Sometimes it's bearable, sometimes torture. I voted hate it.

The problem I think is that cutters and foils are consumable items but we don't treat them as such. I'm not willing to replace them every month at half the cost of the razor. If they're even available.
If you're having to change these on a monthly basis on an electric razor, then something is very, very wrong..

I went to an electric because being inspection ready at 0700 M-F or on duty days, was destroying my face. BBS is the only acceptable look according to the Chief. So almost a year of this I finally could afford an electric. And used one for the remainder of my enlistment.

I never got along well with electric shavers. They seemed to pull the hairs out more than making any effort to cut them.

Top Bottom