What's new

Do you find creams provide better cushion/slickness than soaps? Why I ask

I recently bought a $6 tub of Razorock Classic and although it lathered easily and smelled fine it was like shaving with bar soap. Overall a terrible shave. So I'm thinking maybe it like a law of physics. You get fewer shaves per ounce with a cream but better quality shaves. Make sense?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey, @Juanmosey , I'd appreciate some clarification if you have a moment. You're used to shaving with creams and bought Razorock Classic soap? Is this your 1st go at using a shave soap?

I, and I'd assume many on the forums, can get an equally satisfying shave from a soap or a cream. That being said I can't get an equally satisfying shave from all soaps and creams. $6 seems a bit on the low end, but heck Arko gives me a great shave for $2.

Basically, more info please.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've only ever had 1 soap thar refused to lather Bulldog it wasn't even any good as bath soap. Now I've found that with reading up on B&B that I can later up most soaps just as well as creams. Some soaps are even better than creams such as Arko, Sterling and MWF for a few examples. Have you tried blooming the soap as in put a tiny bit of water on the top of the soap and let it sit there, say while your in the shower before you shave or just let it sit there before you shave. Also a decent synthetic brush may help as some badger and boar brushes can eat the lather before they're broke in hope this helps.

Hey, @Juanmosey , I'd appreciate some clarification if you have a moment. You're used to shaving with creams and bought Razorock Classic soap? Is this your 1st go at using a shave soap?

I, and I'd assume many on the forums, can get an equally satisfying shave from a soap or a cream. That being said I can't get an equally satisfying shave from all soaps and creams. $6 seems a bit on the low end, but heck Arko gives me a great shave for $2.

Basically, more info please.
Basically my 1st go so yes. Now it was their cheapest by far and I have a gut feeling not normal for Razorock. Thanks for the interest. FYI I've had great luck with Speick and Bigelow. Should I try Sterling? Please say yes, lol!

Last edited:
When you pay $6 per tub (or puck) for shaving soap, expect the quality of the shave to be commensurate with your expenditure. Yes, there are guys who love shaving with Williams Mug Soap and Arko, but they are not great soaps, just inexpensive. I would rather shave with bar soap or shampoo.

I have not found an great soap that cost less than $12 per 4 ounce tub. There are some decent soaps at the $12-20 level. Once I start paying $20-30 for a 4 ounce tub, then the quality of my shaves starts improving dramatically. High quality ingredients are not cheap.

When you pay $6 per tub (or puck) for shaving soap, expect the quality of the shave to be commensurate with your expenditure. Yes, there are guys who love shaving with Williams Mug Soap and Arko, but they are not great soaps, just inexpensive. I would rather shave with bar soap or shampoo.

I have not found an great soap that cost less than $12 per 4 ounce tub. There are some decent soaps at the $12-20 level. Once I start paying $20-30 for a 4 ounce tub, then the quality of my shaves starts improving dramatically. High quality ingredients are not cheap.
Could you recommend something then? TY.

Would I like Pere Lucien?

No difference between the two imo. High quality soap = High quality cream. You just need to lather them properly. I think artisan soaps are a little overrated in terms of performance. I've gone back to using creams recently and guess what, I get an excellent lather, that has plenty of residual slickness and leaves my skin feeling nice. Many say razorock are good products for the price, so I'm surprised to read you didn't get along with it. Maybe give it another go and keep the amount loaded and water used in mind?

I also disagree that one gets more out of a soap than a cream (unless its a hard soap). The croaps don't have much more longevity than creams imo and really, you don't need to use much cream. Same amount as toothpaste for the most part.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If your asking about shaves per ounce, hard soaps last magnitudes longer than croaps, and croaps last somewhere between the same to twice as long as creams.

In terms of quality of the resulting shave, soaps vs croaps vs creams doesn't matter. I get *almost* the same quality of shave from Saponificio Varesino (hard soap), Martin de Candre (hard soap), Southern Witchcrafts (croap), Barrister and Mann (croap), Grooming Department (hard soap), Declaration Grooming (croap), The Body Shop Maca Root (cream). I don't think the difference in performance is soap vs cream, its some brands are just much better than others.

In terms of price, the above mentioned brands are all over the chart. TBS maca root is $16 and will last about 1 month of daily shaving. MdC is $65-75 and I would estimate it would last me about 1 year (based on longevity of the 3 samples I've used).

I've tried 5 RazoRock croaps and 1 hard soap. I would consider RazoRock easy to lather, but it's also easy to mess up and turn into foam if you add water too quickly. What is the consistency of your lather like?

RazoRock, Bigelow, and Stirling are average performance, IMO.

Last edited:
Go for the Stirling Soap, it lathers and performs on par with much more expensive soaps. Doesn't matter if it's their Beef Tallow or Sheep Tallow soaps, they all are excellent performs, and easy to find a scent you like.

Others that perform well beyond their price points are Soap Commander, Caties Bubbles, Pre-de-Providence, and Tabac. - Ok, the last one is an acquired smell, you either love it, or hate it, however, it's an excellent soap, and both I and my wife love the scent.

All of the soaps I mentioned are super easy to lather into a thick creamy texture, with great protection. I nearly exclusively use synthetic brushes these days, they seem to have no trouble lathering any soap, even with our mildly hard water at the house.

I recently bought a $6 tub of Razorock Classic and although it lathered easily and smelled fine it was like shaving with bar soap. Overall a terrible shave. So I'm thinking maybe it like a law of physics. You get fewer shaves per ounce with a cream but better quality shaves. Make sense?
Creams are mainly just easier to lather. Some of the work has been done for you, so to speak. They're convenient.

I don't mind creams, but get the best results with hard milled soaps. I don't really do artisans, either. Maybe once in a blue moon.

If you're new to soaps then you have to learn to lather it up properly. It takes a little longer than creams but you should be able to get thick slick lather from it. Use more product. Load it like you're punishing it. For a Razorock soft soap, you could search for Marco's method and you'll get more lather than you know what to do with.

Here's a good wiki for how to lather up most soaps: How to make great lather from a soap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_to_make_great_lather_from_a_soap

Top Bottom