What's new

Do you find American male fragrances to be all the same?

This month, while leafing through Esquire, I was reminded once again how almost all mainstream fragrances for men seem to smell the same.

I feel that way too. Now, when you dig deep and find good, interesting scents there is actually good variety. But yeah, there are a lot that smell alike

This month, while leafing through Esquire, I was reminded once again how almost all mainstream fragrances for men seem to smell the same. They all have this predictable musky quality that just really doesn't appeal to me. I feel like you could go up to any male college student or young professional and they'd almost all smell the same. Your thoughts?

My current favorite scent is Acca Kappa White Moss. It's made in Treviso, Italy, and I just feel that Europeans have a much subtler and more dynamic understanding of scent. For instance, I like Penhaligon's Juniper Sling a lot and I feel that Penhaligon's line is incredibly varied. Each one seems to conjure a different emotion, which is really what I think fragrances are all about. I realize I'm generalizing here, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I thought Thierry Muglier's Cologne was pleasant, and a refreshing change years ago when I tried a sample. I'd wear something like that if it were widely available at a decent price. It just made you smell clean.

Top Bottom