What's new

Do you ever shave using multiple passes in the same direction with no regard for the orientation of growth?

Tonight's shave had me ponder this!
First I need to emphasize that my typical shave routine is a 2 pass WTG/XTG. I don't ever do ATG and don't aim for BBS.
I usually shave at night and very content with a DFS that lasts through my entire workday.
Since the beginning of my shaving journey, I've focused (from reading here on B&B) on mapping my growth, WTG, XTG, ATG, blah, blah...
And that's what I've done! That's why I've stuck to my shave routine as described above. And it's worked well for me!
But I discovered something:
If I shave by doing 2 passes in the same direction (north to south), I get very good results. Good enough that it also lasts throughout the day.
This lets me "just shave" with the enjoyment of not overthinking WTG, XTG, mapping etc..
And of course, by using that method, I have no clue in what direction the whisker growth is and how the blade is cutting through it. What I definitely do know is that it's never cutting ATG! But the bottom line is the great shave that I end up with.
I don't always do it this way but I'm seeing myself doing it more often. Like I said, it's enjoyable to not have to think while shaving and the result is very good. I'm seriously considering to just do it this way all the time unless I need a more precise shave for a special event or something of the sort.
So does anyone always shave this way, or sometimes or never?
LRod

When I shaved with carts, I shaved as you describe: one or two passes, north to south, and done. I shaved daily for work, in the morning, and always achieved a socially acceptable shave and always looked clean.

When I started DE shaving, I never bothered to map my beard. I do three passes, what I would call WTG, XTG, and ATG, but the reality is that the passes are north-to-south, east-west, and south-north.

In the end I'm hitting my beard from every direction anyway, and it seems to work fine. Anything I miss gets a gentle touchup, usually with the residual lather and a bit of water.

I think I did mostly one pass shaving during my office years but am obsessed with BBS shaves on a daily basis now that the kids are grown, I'm retired, and my wife is here only half the week. I find myself checking my shaves before, during, and after and if I'm all done and rub against the grain and feel either strays or rough spots, they drive me nuts. It's the alone time, I think, that causes me to obsess over whether I got every last whisker during the shave. If not, I HAVE to go fix it. I get a few hours of relief and then the obsession starts all over again. That's the curse part of my signature.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
2 passes North to South regardless of hair direction gets me a decent shave with no irritation, good enough for work etc.

When I have the time and want to goof off and really enjoy the lather and the experience I will do my best approximation of W/A/A 3 pass.

Tonight's shave had me ponder this!
First I need to emphasize that my typical shave routine is a 2 pass WTG/XTG. I don't ever do ATG and don't aim for BBS.
I usually shave at night and very content with a DFS that lasts through my entire workday.
Since the beginning of my shaving journey, I've focused (from reading here on B&B) on mapping my growth, WTG, XTG, ATG, blah, blah...
And that's what I've done! That's why I've stuck to my shave routine as described above. And it's worked well for me!
But I discovered something:
If I shave by doing 2 passes in the same direction (north to south), I get very good results. Good enough that it also lasts throughout the day.
This lets me "just shave" with the enjoyment of not overthinking WTG, XTG, mapping etc..
And of course, by using that method, I have no clue in what direction the whisker growth is and how the blade is cutting through it. What I definitely do know is that it's never cutting ATG! But the bottom line is the great shave that I end up with.
I don't always do it this way but I'm seeing myself doing it more often. Like I said, it's enjoyable to not have to think while shaving and the result is very good. I'm seriously considering to just do it this way all the time unless I need a more precise shave for a special event or something of the sort.
So does anyone always shave this way, or sometimes or never?
LRod
I started shaving just as I started college with a DE razor and canned goop. In those days it was just apply the canned foam and complete a single pass DFS with occasional touch-up. Shaved daily then as I do now. Moved to an electric after 5 years and returned to DE 3 years ago. Current method is a 2+ pass shave.

Don't recall anything regarding a multi-pass shave from those days. Gillette's shaving instructions from then (link to 1968 example) were also only based on a single pass shave with some additional touch-up. Based on this the current three pass shave that is typically recommended may be a more recent development concurrent with the resurgence of DE shaving over the past 10-15 years.

Reactions: ctr
I started shaving just as I started college with a DE razor and canned goop. In those days it was just apply the canned foam and complete a single pass DFS with occasional touch-up. Shaved daily then as I do now. Moved to an electric after 5 years and returned to DE 3 years ago. Current method is a 2+ pass shave.

Don't recall anything regarding a multi-pass shave from those days. Gillette's shaving instructions from then (link to 1968 example) were also only based on a single pass shave with some additional touch-up. Based on this the current three pass shave that is typically recommended may be a more recent development concurrent with the resurgence of DE shaving over the past 10-15 years.

Cool link!
So Gillette recommended a WTG main pass and ATG for the touch-up. Interesting!
I could never do ATG because it's always ended up in major irritation. But I'm gonna try that old school method that Gillette shows since I'm a 2 pass shaver anyways. I don't get the 3+ pass shaving methods that I see many people do. If I go beyond 2, my face doesn't feel good. I always end up with a burning sensation even though my face looks fine.

If I’m using the Feather Artist Club SR, I do two North to South passes and a couple of touchups and call it good.

Second pass does get more stubble, so it’s not a wasted effort.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use to shave with no clue what direction my grain was when using my cartridge razors and now it is a 2 pass with touch ups. WTG + ATG + touchups works well for myself. Tried a few times with just ATG only and I did not really enjoy the shaves, you never know until you try was my attitude. One pass shaves many years ago was not uncommon from my limited research when straight razors where used mostly.

If I’m using the Feather Artist Club SR, I do two North to South passes and a couple of touchups and call it good.

Second pass does get more stubble, so it’s not a wasted effort.
Yep, definitely not a wasted effort as others believe. My "most satisfying" pass has become #2. I run my hand after #1 and then #2 and I can totally feel the difference between the two.
After #2 I can feel the end result which is the glass like smoothness that don't feel after just one pass.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Larry has built an army of razors, or at the very least, he has enough to supply an entire company. Of course, as any self respected wet shaver, Larry would keep the best razor to himself, cause when your the leader of the company pack, you gotta look the best don't you? 😝

To answer the question in the title. I do a three pass shave, WTG, XTG/DTG, and ATG. When I do the XTG on my face, I begin by going west to east, then I go back over it going east to west. Believe it or not, there are always still whiskers to take off in the XTG passes, when going back over the opposite direction.

When one maps their whiskers growth patterns, you can really see whats going on. For many of us however, I think our whiskers go all over the place, a real chaotic mess. But you know what, the job still has to get done, whiskers have to come off. So go whatever way that gets the job done I say.

Top Bottom