What's new

Do you ever shave using multiple passes in the same direction with no regard for the orientation of growth?

Tonight's shave had me ponder this!
First I need to emphasize that my typical shave routine is a 2 pass WTG/XTG. I don't ever do ATG and don't aim for BBS.
I usually shave at night and very content with a DFS that lasts through my entire workday.
Since the beginning of my shaving journey, I've focused (from reading here on B&B) on mapping my growth, WTG, XTG, ATG, blah, blah...
And that's what I've done! That's why I've stuck to my shave routine as described above. And it's worked well for me!
But I discovered something:
If I shave by doing 2 passes in the same direction (north to south), I get very good results. Good enough that it also lasts throughout the day.
This lets me "just shave" with the enjoyment of not overthinking WTG, XTG, mapping etc..
And of course, by using that method, I have no clue in what direction the whisker growth is and how the blade is cutting through it. What I definitely do know is that it's never cutting ATG! But the bottom line is the great shave that I end up with.
I don't always do it this way but I'm seeing myself doing it more often. Like I said, it's enjoyable to not have to think while shaving and the result is very good. I'm seriously considering to just do it this way all the time unless I need a more precise shave for a special event or something of the sort.
So does anyone always shave this way, or sometimes or never?
LRod

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm not sure if you are getting much mileage for the second pass that way, might as well one pass and call it a day. Back in the old days, one pass is the norm, and modern cartridge razors are made to optimize that.

Personally, there are spots I don't push, but aim for at least 90% BBS everyday. N-S, S-N, then ATG depending on growth.

I was a DFS guy for a long time. But years in France and the 20 women I kiss everyday made me change! Now, I live in Shanghai and people barely even shake hands. BBS habit stuck though.

I'm not sure if you are getting much mileage for the second pass that way, might as well one pass and call it a day. Back in the old days, one pass is the norm, and modern cartridge razors are made to optimize that.

Personally, there are spots I don't push, but aim for at least 90% BBS everyday. N-S, S-N, then ATG depending on growth.

I was a DFS guy for a long time. But years in France and the 20 women I kiss everyday made me change! Now, I live in Shanghai and people barely even shake hands. BBS habit stuck though.
Here's the thing, I actually do get the mileage off of the second pass. I've compared the results out of a single pass vs. a double pass. Matter of fact, when I started wet shaving, I used to love the satisfaction of 2 days growth coming off on the first pass. Now I enjoy more the second pass as it finishes everything up. And that's not just when I do WTG/XTG. It's also when I do the 2 pass single direction routine that I'm talking about. The only conclusion I can come up with is that my growth is all over the place. Maybe my mapping hasn't been as accurate as I've always thought, LOL!!

lasta

Blade Biter
Here's the thing, I actually do get the mileage off of the second pass. I've compared the results out of a single pass vs. a double pass. Matter of fact, when I started wet shaving, I used to love the satisfaction of 2 days growth coming off on the first pass. Now I enjoy more the second pass as it finishes everything up. And that's not just when I do WTG/XTG. It's also when I do the 2 pass single direction routine that I'm talking about. The only conclusion I can come up with is that my growth is all over the place. Maybe my mapping hasn't been as accurate as I've always thought, LOL!!

Or maybe your hairs got scared after the first mow-down, and started leaning the other way.

Tonight's shave had me ponder this!
First I need to emphasize that my typical shave routine is a 2 pass WTG/XTG. I don't ever do ATG and don't aim for BBS.
I usually shave at night and very content with a DFS that lasts through my entire workday.
Since the beginning of my shaving journey, I've focused (from reading here on B&B) on mapping my growth, WTG, XTG, ATG, blah, blah...
And that's what I've done! That's why I've stuck to my shave routine as described above. And it's worked well for me!
But I discovered something:
If I shave by doing 2 passes in the same direction (north to south), I get very good results. Good enough that it also lasts throughout the day.
This lets me "just shave" with the enjoyment of not overthinking WTG, XTG, mapping etc..
And of course, by using that method, I have no clue in what direction the whisker growth is and how the blade is cutting through it. What I definitely do know is that it's never cutting ATG! But the bottom line is the great shave that I end up with.
I don't always do it this way but I'm seeing myself doing it more often. Like I said, it's enjoyable to not have to think while shaving and the result is very good. I'm seriously considering to just do it this way all the time unless I need a more precise shave for a special event or something of the sort.
So does anyone always shave this way, or sometimes or never?
LRod
Good morning LRod and wishing you a fast approaching weekend as well!
I enjoyed reading your above comments as it put a smile on my face here at 3:02AM CST. The beauty of this “shaving ritual” that we all enjoy is just what your asking…..As someone once told me, “whatever works for you”.😊👍💈🥂

Whatever satistifes you is good, of course. It’s quite possible that your hair growth direction isn’t exactly what you think - it’s easy to assume your hair grows a certain way, and I did that for years before gradually noticing that it wasn’t quite the way I thought in different areas. Still, shaving is a journey and trying different things like single-direction shaving is always going to teach you something. Maybe if you keep doing it you will find you refine your method naturally over time by using a different single direction on different parts of your face, or you will get a better result adding some light touch-ups in particular areas that need it more, but still keep your shave gentle and quick.

I do basically the same thing. I shave every day and get irritation if I go ATG at all. The hairs on the bottom of my neck grow in the direction of my ears which make a WTG pass sort of awkward. I go N-S on my WTG pass so those hairs actually get an XTG cut. This works for me getting a close shave without any irritation. I usually do one pass with my Trac II or 2 passes with a DE- the second pass being a quick "buffing" type pass. Never get a nick, never get bumps, feels super close unless I rub my face ATG and I'm done in 5 or 6 minutes.

Guessing it depends on a person’s skin type, whiskers, and tolerance for multiple same direction passes. My DE shaves are lazy because anything works; SR shaves on the other hand require focus and some face mapping. Happy shaves all.

I usually only make one pass with my DE razors when shaving every day. I did the same when I used cartridge razors, but obviously I used a different technique. If I have 3-4 days of growth, I will occasionally make two passes one being XTG. It wasn't until I started wet shaving with a DE razor that I heard of people making two or three passes. The last time I did a three pass shave I got a little more irritation. It's nice to get a BBS shave but it's really not necessary for me. I am happy with a DFS. :thumbsup:

Sometimes i will drop the fouth pass but rhats only on my weekend. Wtg, atg, xtg, xtg is normal for me. But if i want bbs then i have to do some buffing on the sides of my neck. Gray stiff old whiskers take more efforr to knock them down.

But if you can get away with two same direction passes then thats great for you. Just wait until your over 60 and remember way back when. ;)

lasta

Blade Biter
Sometimes i will drop the fouth pass but rhats only on my weekend. Wtg, atg, xtg, xtg is normal for me. But if i want bbs then i have to do some buffing on the sides of my neck. Gray stiff old whiskers take more efforr to knock them down.

But if you can get away with two same direction passes then thats great for you. Just wait until your over 60 and remember way back when. ;)
4 passes? And I thought I have tough hide!

Curious though, why the ATG before XTG? Usually, people save that for last.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've never tried two passes in the same direction. I always did variations on a two pass shave with cartridges with one of them being ATG. And I had to do a bit of buffing, but I didn't know what it was called back then.

When I started wet shaving in continued that for the two weeks before I stumbled across B&B. After joining here and reading a bit, I added XTG. I did that for a few months, three pass shaves, with added buffing as necessary. No irritation or anything, I just decided to see if I could get the same results with just two passes (WTG/ATG) and some buffing and it turns out, I could most of the time.

I am an every other day shaver but that might give me more flexibility when it comes to skin irritation from the razor itself... not from the reactions to soaps, of course.

Now to address LRod's directly. I quite like the sound the razor makes when I'm going against the grain. Do you get that nice sound on your second WTG pass? I get a nice sound on the first WTG pass as well.... but not quite as lovely as the AGT pass. As you know, at this point, I've only shaved with two razors so far since wet shaving. I'm guessing the sounds vary depending on the razor and perhaps the shaving angle.

4 passes? And I thought I have tough hide!

Curious though, why the ATG before XTG? Usually, people save that for last.
My whiskers grow at an angle. So north to south is Xtg, south to north is xtg, so i do wtg then just the opisite to whack down as much as possible first. This makes the atg pass happen before all the rest if the action on my skin. If i wait to do atg for the last then i find my skin is getting a little sore by then. So i finish with passes xtg in each direction to get to a passable shave being easier on my face. Then buffing in all directions on the sides of the neck and jawline to get smooth in that area. Thats when it gets tricky with a straight razor.

It's been some months that I shave like this, well kind of. I still pay attention to the hair growth which is whole way north to south (WTG) till middle of the neck, there I go south to north (WTG).

So I am always shaving WTG and I do 2 passes in the same WTG direction! For the second pass I go for a steeper angle otherwise not much will be removed in the second pass. Using Feather DX gives me the possibility to go for any angle I want.

I don't know what razor you are using, but try steeper angle on the second pass and share your thoughts.

I don't know what razor you are using, but try steeper angle on the second pass and share your thoughts.
Many razors, I have a bunch, Lol!!
I typically adapt angle based on the razor I use. Depending on what head geometry it has, I'll adjust to various different angles. But yes, for the second pass, I can get a different result with a steeper angle.

if I can recall, what you are describing was part of "The Method" but that way of shaving hasn't been discussed on this site in some years AFAIK.

marty

Top Bottom