What's new

Do You Ever Get to the Point I'll Pass, I Don't Need It?

All I can say to us retired guys is:

You worked your butt off your whole life, in most cases sacrificing your wants to provide for your family. Enjoy your shave gear, without feeling guilty. You earned it and it won't break the bank. Even in retirement, we're still helping our kids and grandkids keep afloat since Covid, but we still need our small luxuries to keep sane.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
All I can say to us retired guys is:

You worked your butt off your whole life, in most cases sacrificing your wants to provide for your family. Enjoy your shave gear, without feeling guilty. You earned it and it won't break the bank. Even in retirement, we're still helping our kids and grandkids keep afloat since Covid, but we still need our small luxuries to keep sane.
I couldn't agree more..... My problem is my main hobby is way more expensive than shaving... Photography. I'm a wildlife photographer (hobbiest, not professional). I have the best gear I can afford at the moment... but I'm saving up for a pretty significant expenditure. It will take me a couple years to get the funds saved.

I couldn't agree more..... My problem is my main hobby is way more expensive than shaving... Photography.

Unfortunately, photography was a luxury I could never afford. After our first daughter was born in late 1970, the best camera I could afford was a Canon Powershot G5 using slide film. It wasn't SLR, so I was limited. A couple years later, I got into shooting infrared film with a yellow lens. That was cool, but my wife nixed me shooting our daughter with infrared, because she looked like a monster. My best photo from that period, which I still have framed on a wall, was an infrared shot of the Belle of Louisville around 1972. Stopping down on a bright sunny day, it looks like it was taken at night. There are clouds in the dark sky. but all the red trim on the boat and paddle-wheel is gold.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Unfortunately, photography was a luxury I could never afford. After our first daughter was born in late 1970, the best camera I could afford was a Canon Powershot G5 using slide film. It wasn't SLR, so I was limited. A couple years later, I got into shooting infrared film with a yellow lens. That was cool, but my wife nixed me shooting our daughter with infrared, because she looked like a monster. My best photo from that period, which I still have framed on a wall, was an infrared shot of the Belle of Louisville around 1972. Stopping down on a bright sunny day, it looks like it was taken at night. There are clouds in the dark sky. but all the red trim on the boat and paddle-wheel is gold.
Nice.... When we were both working, I was able to save up quite a bit and was able to pay cash for my gear. We drive old cars so we have a bit more expendable income as a result. Not now, of course... we're both retired now.. and penny pinch a lot now.

Nice.... When we were both working, I was able to save up quite a bit and was able to pay cash for my gear. We drive old cars so we have a bit more expendable income as a result. Not now, of course... we're both retired now.. and penny pinch a lot now.

My wife always got our newest car. I drive an 04 Accord, and carry a jump box. My wife has a 2018 Rav which she hates, but at least it won't leave her stranded.

Save wherever you can on things that bring you and your loved ones little pleasure. Maybe pay up on a few things that bring you all more pleasure. I buy very little kit every year; however, I will save for one or two larger ticket items once a year. I have exactly 2 SRs, 2 soaps, 1 brush (+2 non-users), 1 strop, 1 DE, and about 50 GSB blades. I am adding a new DE with the funds from flipping restored vintage SRs. I also repair and flip old saltwater fishing reels; amazing what they can bring refurbished…just like quality razors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Phoenixkh Now I know who took that picture of the owl in your profile picture lol. Great work buddy!

Yes, I also have a photography hobby, and I too don't have a DSLR, because they are super expensive, and the lenses for them are completely out of reach! I use a Canon SX620HS Powershot, which does actually have some DSLR type features in it, that makes it quite useful. However, because it has a small popup flash, it often lacks the flash power you need to really light up a subject. Which is why I use a fill light, or AKA key light, which helps out the camera great.

Most of the photo's you guys have seen me post, have come from that camera. Although, most recent pics I have been taking for the forum, that I haven't posted yet, I was too lazy to grab my fill light, so I will see what magic I can do in post production lol. When I was younger, I went to places to take pics in the forest, of a lake, etc. But eventually, I just got too lazy to go out anymore.

And then I really started getting busy with my job, and I couldn't justify spending 4 hours somewhere taking pictures, when there was work to be done. Then the pandemic happened, and then I became super isolated like many out there. Now days, I am just satisfied with taking pictures of products to post on B&B to make you guys all do this. 😍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife always got our newest car. I drive an 04 Accord, and carry a jump box. My wife has a 2018 Rav which she hates, but at least it won't leave her stranded.
I just bought a jump box. lol.... for our 2004 Avalon... our other car needs some work... the 2002 Avalon.

The 2004 has something draining the battery... we have a great mechanic but he hasn't been able to find it so far. It was taking several weeks for the battery to drain but now it can be dead in the morning after a long drive. We've already replaced the alternator, etc.... I have an appointment for Monday... It's never drained when it's been in the shop before but it should now.

We'll see.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh Now I know who took that picture of the owl in your profile picture lol. Great work buddy!

Yes, I also have a photography hobby, and I too don't have a DSLR, because they are super expensive, and the lenses for them are completely out of reach! I use a Canon SX620HS Powershot, which does actually have some DSLR type features in it, that makes it quite useful. However, because it has a small popup flash, it often lacks the flash power you need to really light up a subject. Which is why I use a fill light, or AKA key light, which helps out the camera great.

Most of the photo's you guys have seen me post, have come from that camera. Although, most recent pics I have been taking for the forum, that I haven't posted yet, I was too lazy to grab my fill light, so I will see what magic I can do in post production lol. When I was younger, I went to places to take pics in the forest, of a lake, etc. But eventually, I just got too lazy to go out anymore.

And then I really started getting busy with my job, and I couldn't justify spending 4 hours somewhere taking pictures, when there was work to be done. Then the pandemic happened, and then I became super isolated like many out there. Now days, I am just satisfied with taking pictures of products to post on B&B to make you guys all do this. 😍
I'm finally learning to use my phone camera because of this site. lol... thanks for noticing my owl... he was just sitting in a pine tree in the backyard just after sunset. I got lucky. He posed for quite a while.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I'm finally learning to use my phone camera because of this site. lol... thanks for noticing my owl... he was just sitting in a pine tree in the backyard just after sunset. I got lucky. He posed for quite a while.

And do you know what he said? He said, "A hoo hoo are you?" And you said, "I'm Phoenix, you know the bird, reborn from the ashes?" And then you asked him, "Hoo hoo might you be?"

😂

PS: I notice a lot of things, and I love that picture. Also, depending on which model of phone you buy, they can come with some pretty amazing camera's!

Unless I find something better than my Henson, I see no reason to purchase another razor. I'm perfectly happy with my Proraso cream and my AV Ice Blue aftershave. I'm happy with my cheap brush that I have, but I wouldn't mind trying another. If I happen upon a great brush deal maybe I'll give it a go, but I'm cheap and have put a brush in my online shopping cart on numerous occasions just to eventually decide not to buy it. The one thing I'm working through now is which blade I like best. My favorites so far are Voskhod (super smooth), King C. Gillettes, and Wizamets. Popped in a Treet Platinum today for its second use and the result was quite good, but I had to work at it due to it being slightly dull. So my main attraction at this point is testing different blades. Once I find what I like best in a blade, I'll likely just settle into that as my main routine. At some point in the future if there is disposable income, I might try the Henson Medium. But it's not a have to. It's definitely a maybe. I also don't like having unused stuff lying around. So I'm thinking of putting my Baili 3-piece and my Feather Popular up as a PIF just because I haven't been using either one of them since I purchased a pre-war Gillette Tech and the Henson Mild. That would leave me with only 2 razors, but, hey, I've only got one face! :)

So, yeah, I'll pass if I don't need it.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Reading reviews on B&B usually had me buying. (B&B = buy $ buy) I’ve been finding that avoiding the impulse buy immediately after reading is key. I close the thread and try to forget! The MIB system! 😁

Hello Rhody! 😁

Yep, reading reviews that make you want to buy, I've been there. But it's easy for me to forget the mib system, I don't use it lol.

Been at this for 5.5yrs now and I have been at the point of I don't need it... I am very content right now and have had no urges for some time!!

2 Razors
Timeless Ti95DC - purchased Feb '18 became my only razor until Jul '21 sold everything else off mid '18
Blackland Ti Blackbird - purchased Jul '21 Always wanted a Blackbird but wanted Titanium... Blackland released Titanium Spring '21

4 Shave Brushes all Synthetic
DC Shaving / 25mm TurnNShave Quartermoon assembled by myself Sept '18
DC Shaving / 25mm TurnNShave Angelhair assembled by myself Aug '17
DC Shaving / 26mm TurnNShave Timberwolf assembled by myself Aug '18
Whipped Dog 24mm Plisson style purchased Jan '17

3 Soaps
Stirling Bay Rum, Stirling Sandpiper, Stirling Spice purchased all 3 between '17 & '18

1 Aftershave
Proraso Green 400ml bottle purchased '20

Blades
25 Feather purchased '21
40 Shark Super Chrome purchased '19
85 Silver Star purchased '20

1 Alum Block purchased '21

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like two out of the 4 soaps I purchased. The ones I don't like weren't expensive. They were only $10 a piece, but at the moment, I feel obligated to use them. This might change. Who knows?

I like the Acca Kappa Barbershop and the Executive Shaving Co. Citrus Kiss... subtle fragrances, nice cushion, easy to lather, etc.

I don't really care for the Proraso White. To get the Proraso to work for me, I add some glycerin.. not a ton, but it seems to make a difference...... and I'm ambivalent about the RazoRock Mudder Focker. I haven't give in a fair shot yet. I might like it more than I think....

I'm content with the rest of my gear.

Top Bottom