What's new

Do you even journal, Bro?

Any thoughts on the best time to journal? I've been doing it right before bed, but sometimes I get so tired I'm not really into it. I could try in the morning with my coffee, perhaps. At least now since I'm working remote and my commute is a hop, skip, and a jump.

My longest entry to date was done one evening while I enjoyed a pour of bourbon. Not sure if it was the bourbon, or the day in general. :)

Whenever works well for you. In the morning with your coffee, at lunch time, or in the evening with a relaxing beverage, whenever some sort of thought gets stuck in your head, when you encounter something that you want to remember, any of the above in any sort of combination.

Personally, I would recommend that you start by setting yourself up so that you do at least one session at the same time every day, just to get yourself into the habit and then start riffing off of that.

Speaking as a history buff myself, I like the concept of a commonplace book. Leonardo da Vinci used notebooks to great and lasting impact. Going back even farther, Marcus Aurelius and his collection of writings referred to as "Meditations" is probably what I would personally consider to be one of the oldest form of journals.

As with shaving and coffee, it's all about what you make of it and how you like it (with apologies to The Bard).

As others have said, time of day, etc., really depends in part on what one is trying to accomplish in journaling. My Dad always made a to do list for the next day before he went to bed--either at the end of the work day or as he was getting ready to go to sleep. I suppose that was journaling of a type.

I would say that a Bullet journal is more an all day thing. Something like a to do list and a diary/Daytimer/Franklin planner approach combined. Also, the "Getting Things Done" approach of getting things out of one's head and down on paper so that one is not distracted by them, but does not lose the thought or forget about needing to accomplish the activity. If you are trying to develop creativity, I suppose set aside a block of time every day either morning or night. Progoff's near psychoanalytic approach probably first thing in the morning trying to keep dreams freshly in mind, and in the evening to process things that came up during the day. And from time to time some extended time.

I suppose there are really two major aspects of journaling. Writing stuff down and going back over what one has written. I find I am better at the first! In any event, that may call for different timing.

Last edited:
I started one in a simple Office Depot Steno Pad (spiral bound at the top, 6"x9") at the start of all this madness on March 13. Today is day 337 of this madness. No real structure or format - just the date, a running day count since I started, and just capture my thoughts, how the work day went (working at home now for nearly a year), what I'm reading, etc. I'm 53 and had never journaled or diaried. It's been a positive experience.

Cheers.

I do not do a good job of it (or of journaling altogether, I suppose) but they say reading back over one's journal entries is even more important than writing things down/out. (I know I am repeating myself a bit, but this reading back over was reinforced to me recently.)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I just wanted to say it's my Dad's birthday today, he passed away nearly 5 years ago. Shortly after he died we rediscovered a daily journal he kept during the year 1981, when I was 7 years old. It was just ordinary daily musings, details of his work day, etc, but to me, it was a treasure. Getting to read through it as an adult, a little bit older than he was when he kept it, was an experience I am truly grateful for.

I used his Old Spice mug during my morning shave today and wore his old work jacket ;)

Thanks everyone. I've failed at making this a regular entry type of event. At least so far. I'm sure I'll find a groove eventually.

@JWCowboy Sorry for your loss. But thanks also for the encouragement. It's this type of thing that had me interested in giving it a shot, regardless.

Speaking as a history buff myself, I like the concept of a commonplace book. Leonardo da Vinci used notebooks to great and lasting impact. Going back even farther, Marcus Aurelius and his collection of writings referred to as "Meditations" is probably what I would personally consider to be one of the oldest form of journals.
Thanks for the link and for sparking my interest in the commonplace book concept. I started keeping one after you posted this. It suits the way that I think and write and read. I appreciate your calling it to my attention.

In the era of electronic devices I continue to keep a handwritten technical journal and a planner. I find this being most reliable and it helps me on many levels. It also saved me many times when I was asked direct questions about specific tasks and I was able to accurately reproduce my findings and results of my work.
These are my personal tools and they close a gap between realities of life and business records.
I doubt I would ever run out of thoughts worth putting down on paper.

I received a journal for Christmas, and am not really sure how to start. A little background: my oldest daughter is an aspiring author, and frequently asks why I don't write much. So, I figured I'd get a journal to try as a way to connect with her in that area. She gifted me one for Christmas, and I've started the new year by writing a bit in it each day. It's very random, and is essentially just a bit of rambling. Is this a good way to get started? Any other suggestions for journalers out there?
So have you started the journal? What do you write? I would usually write at the end of the day and just recount the day, add certain thoughts.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I began a journal on 19 March. So far, I'm up to 20 March. Mostly just an annotated list of things I've yet to do.

Need to keep reminding myself it it ain't writ, it ain't real. I think.

Now back to bed for me.

So have you started the journal? What do you write? I would usually write at the end of the day and just recount the day, add certain thoughts.
Thanks for following up! The truth is, my journaling has practically stopped. There's a few reasons for this. Mostly, again I just can't seem to find good time. Secondly, I noticed that I was writing more regarding "negative" events rather than positive. Which, if this was a decent "vent", I'd say it's ok. Instead, it seemed to have me focusing more on the negative. SO....I'm back to being somewhat stuck. But, I do need to try again. I'm starting to think that a morning "review/plan" would be a better option. Perhaps I can give that a shot.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for following up! The truth is, my journaling has practically stopped. There's a few reasons for this. Mostly, again I just can't seem to find good time. Secondly, I noticed that I was writing more regarding "negative" events rather than positive. Which, if this was a decent "vent", I'd say it's ok. Instead, it seemed to have me focusing more on the negative. SO....I'm back to being somewhat stuck. But, I do need to try again. I'm starting to think that a morning "review/plan" would be a better option. Perhaps I can give that a shot.
Good start! I think its important to not beat yourself up about inconsistency or anything like that. The journal is supposed to be stress relief, not a stress creation. Like with most things in life, its all about doing it your way to make it a sustainable habit. Morning is a good option. I've been doing that myself lately. My mind is usually pretty active when I wake up, so its helpful to capture some of that before getting into the day's crisis de jure. I am also finding it helpful to bookend the day with a five-to-ten minutes of journaling in the morning and five-to-ten minutes right before bed to help me cut down on the evening screen time and improve sleep hygiene.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1623872064447.png

One option Ive tried was to have a journal that opened from both sides. One way I opened it was my tracking journal, flip it over and open it from the back, was my writing journal.

The index is very important in my journal. I have headings in it like "self improvement", "office drama", "parenting" and as I'm doing my self-reflection I highlight the important points, then put the page # next to the appropriate index heading.

I made a conscious decision that the journal is for salient points and writing only. Tracking and organizing go into the digital planner.

Bullet journaling for about 5 years. Leuchturm 1917 A5 dot grid notebook. A new one every year. Calendar, daily list, intentions, key ideas and notes, projects, and long running topics. Mostly early morning with coffee and end of day wrap up. Some notes during the day as needed.

Strictly utilitarian. No art flourishes, color, stickers etc.

Use a black uniball vision elite 0.5. Would like to use a fountain pen, though my fine Lamy Safari and Med Pilot Metropolitan are much too wide.
6DD80A2B-96E7-458E-BBA7-DF2B7E364BDD.jpeg

Top Bottom