What's new

Do You Drink Your Coffee Black?

I have just transitioned to drinking my coffee black, after nearly 35 years of coffee consumption.

I was a 1/2 + 1/2, no sugar for almost all that time - but we ran out of 1/2 + 1/2 and I have never liked using milk, so I gave it a go.

Took about 4 days and then my palate just clicked. Primary coffee maker in the house is the Keurig (M-F) using Starbuck's Verona or Pikes Roast k-cups. Weekends are Starbuck's French Roast in the Technivorm Moccamaster

No sweetener. A couple of tbs heavy cream. I'm a bit diabetic (my Dr's terminology) so I try to keep the carbs low. Heavy cream is all fat whereas milk or 1/2 & 1/2 has some carbs. If no heavy cream is available, nothing added is OK.

Depends... Normally I start my morning as the house barista. SWMBO likes an americano with that nasty plastic sweetener stuff. Son likes a latte, and I typically make one for me as well. I then proceed to make myself (and usually my SWMBO) double americanos to put in a thermos to be consumed on the way to work.

The rest of the time I drink my coffee (and tea) black. With the possible exception that if I know the espresso will be excellent I will get a short cappuccino or maybe a breve.

Like with most things... it isn't black or white.

Ruckin (loves his GS3)

If I made it myself, it's usually a medium roast from low acid beans brewed in a moka pot or french press, so yes, completely black with nothing else added. Delicious! I make it exactly how I want.

But if I buy it from somewhere, they usually use darker roast (more bitter) or higher acid beans, and a harsher brewing method, so it tastes bitter and acidic so I would put 1 cream and 1 sugar.

If I buy a shot of espresso, I would drink that black. If I buy a latte/cappuccino, it would have steamed milk obviously, but I won't add anything else.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't recall if I mentioned it somewhere in this thread, but I do enjoy a cappucino from time to time (often with a croissant on the side).

An interesting study finds those who like their coffee black and other bitter things are signs of a psychopath! :001_07:
I only drink black coffee and my large
Collection of shaving gear probably completes the diagosis if not then
Add my preoccupation with thoughts
Of shaving while drinking black coffee..

Non-Fat milk in coffee man oh man
That really sounds awful that kinda
Sounds like putting mustard on a RibEye

I froth my fat free milk. Mixed with my favorite freshly ground medium or dark roast in a french press and it's pure bliss for me. I haven't purposely had any whole milk in years. And when I didn't know what it was, I could have sworn it was cream. Way too much fat in there for my liking. And I'm not talking about my health. I'm talking about taste. Whole milk, cream or even half and half just overpower the coffee. Quality, organic 0% is the only way I roll.

I froth my fat free milk. Mixed with my favorite freshly ground medium or dark roast in a french press and it's pure bliss for me. I haven't purposely had any whole milk in years. And when I didn't know what it was, I could have sworn it was cream. Way too much fat in there for my liking. And I'm not talking about my health. I'm talking about taste. Whole milk, cream or even half and half just overpower the coffee. Quality, organic 0% is the only way I roll.
Well now after rethinking it what you're
Doing sounds pretty interesting.

I either drink coffee black, no nothing, or dressed to the hilt, vanilla unsweetened almond milk with almond syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon and clove.

The fanciest I get is a cafe au lait. French press coffee with frothed and steamed milk. Sometimes I'll sprinkle some cinnamon on the frothed milk. Yum and definitely eye opening in the morning.

IMG_0180.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to have cream and sugar in my coffee, but when I was diagnosed as having Type II diabetes, sugar was out of the question. Without sugar, the cream seemed pointless.

Once in a while though, I will treat myself to a coffee and vanilla ice cream float, but that is not "coffee" so much as "dessert". All in moderation, of course.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't think I ever mentored that I nearly always drink my coffee, espresso, tea, or what have you without anything added, so I'm a genuine, bonified psycho.

Of course, I'm also drinking a cappuccino right now. Considering the hour, by Italian standards, I'm a raving lunatic and guilty of crimes against humanity (so I got that working for me, which is nice).

Top Bottom