What's new

Do you dilute this Witch Hazel?

Hello to all!

Just a quick question! I wanted to try witch hazel since it's being used so widely after shaving. However I could not find the products mentioned on this forum (like thayer's) so i went out and bought the following bottle: (I am in Greece)

20201108_134903.jpg

Translation: hamamelis flower water (witch hazel) Oil base. 12M, 100ml

I tried splashing it directly on my face after i rinsed the alum block off and followed with noxzema cool carbon balm. About an hour later I got something like razor bumps, like red spots and overall redness. I read today that if you don't dilute pure witch hazel you might get adverse effects. I used it again this morning without diluting it and was ok.

Is there a certain recipe of dilution for this "oil base" witch hazel?

Thanks

Interesting, I have never seen an oil based witch hazel before...it’s almost always alcohol based or a base of extract mixed with skin food oils, juices, or waters. All that I’ve seen are useable on your skin directly out of the bottle, without washing it off (it absorbs quickly anyway).

Some folks do have allergic reactions to witch hazel but from what I’ve seen, it’s rare.

You could try mixing it with strongly-scented aftershave splashes, that's what I do sometimes for things like Osage Rub and Clubman.

Well thanks for your responses.

I did but another witch hazel entitled hydrolate that works better. No adverse reactions or redness at all.

I bought it really cheap. Like 7 euros for a liter.

I have yet to manage to find any info about how to summer m dilute the concentrated one. Mind you, it's not oily. It's exactly like water but it must be concentrated because it's far more potent than the hydrolate.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom