What's new

Do you consider the Merkur 34 HD heavy?

Relative to my Henson the 34 HD is a beast, but do you consider it to be more average in terms of weight? Or is it on the heavy side?

What are some of the heavier razors out there?

I used a 34 HD for many years and recently acquired a more premium stainless steel razor. After a few months with the new razor I took the old 34 HD for a spin and I couldn’t believe how light it felt. Almost plastic like. And I don’t mean to bash it. I’ve had it forever and it’s still a pretty good shaver.

I had one and really liked it. No, not heavy in my opinion. However, I prefer a heavier razor as I find it helps the razor to do the work.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Heavy weight razors, pretty much start out around 3.4 ounces.

Feather AS-D2 = 3.4 OZ
Rex Ambassador = 3.7 OZ
Merkur Futur = 4.5 OZ

I own nothing but heavy weighted razors, I find that they are easier for me to handle, because I just let the weight of the razor, carry the blade through the cut. Its just what I prefer, YMMV. But I would classify any razor that is 3 OZ or bellow to be mid-weight range. Anything below 2 OZ is going to be light-weight range.

You want heavy? The Hone SS is about as heavy as you get. 5.6 OZ or 159 gm. Having said that, it is IMHO, a very good razor.

Thank you all! I don't have a real preference for heavy or light (just yet...)

I really enjoy the Henson AL 13 which is very light. I also enjoy the Merkur 34 HD which is considerably heavier.

I'm trying to pick up the Henson Ti22 which is the similar in weight to the Merkur (from what I understand).

I've also been eyeing the Tatara Masamune. In the SS it is heavier than the Merkur 34. However the titanium Masamune looks like it could be as light as the Henson AL.

I have a really easy time shaving up under the neck and up under the nose in all directions with the Henson. I am trying to figure out if it is the light weight nature or something else about the Henson top cap/plate, blade clamping, or whatever...that makes the difference.

Cheers!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a really easy time shaving up under the neck and up under the nose in all directions with the Henson. I am trying to figure out if it is the light weight nature or something else about the Henson top cap/plate, blade clamping, or whatever...that makes the difference.

Regarding the ability to get the bottom nose hairs/upper moostash area, that has nothing to do with weight. This has more to do with how fat, or how thin the head of the razor is, and how far the blade sticks out.

For example, I own a Merkur Futur razor, which I am currently using in rotation. Many people write the Futur off, because they have trouble getting the upper moostash hairs, due to the really fat head preventing them from getting them.

But you wanna know what? I can get the hairs. How you ask? I make a funny face to pull the moostash hairs down a bit, while simultaneously using my fingers to move my nose away, it really helps to get the hairs. Setting the proper blade aggression also helps with an adjustable.

With standard razors you can't do that, so you get what you get with them. Take my Feather AS-D2, its a really mild razor, and it doesn't have the fat head that the Futur has, and I have a little difficulty with it too, because the blade aggression is so mild, I feel like that I have to rake the area several times to get the hairs, I end up causing capillary bleeding of the unwanted.

Anyways, it just takes experience, and you get experience by practicing your technique. Everybody has to learn this, you will too. And someday, your going to look back on this day and laugh, because by then, you will be an expert shaver. I have faith you will get there!

Not at all heavy imo. In fact one of lightest razors I have. I think the material is lighter than SS, as others have commented.

Regarding the ability to get the bottom nose hairs/upper moostash area, that has nothing to do with weight. This has more to do with how fat, or how thin the head of the razor is, and how far the blade sticks out.

For example, I own a Merkur Futur razor, which I am currently using in rotation. Many people write the Futur off, because they have trouble getting the upper moostash hairs, due to the really fat head preventing them from getting them.

But you wanna know what? I can get the hairs. How you ask? I make a funny face to pull the moostash hairs down a bit, while simultaneously using my fingers to move my nose away, it really helps to get the hairs. Setting the proper blade aggression also helps with an adjustable.

With standard razors you can't do that, so you get what you get with them. Take my Feather AS-D2, its a really mild razor, and it doesn't have the fat head that the Futur has, and I have a little difficulty with it too, because the blade aggression is so mild, I feel like that I have to rake the area several times to get the hairs, I end up causing capillary bleeding of the unwanted.

Anyways, it just takes experience, and you get experience by practicing your technique. Everybody has to learn this, you will too. And someday, your going to look back on this day and laugh, because by then, you will be an expert shaver. I have faith you will get there!
Agreed!

I should have been clearer, but I don't have issues getting to all the spots under the nose, etc.

It's that the Henson is so smooth. It doesn't tug or feel uncomfortable in any way - mainly ATG.

I'll have to try riding the cap or bar of the Merkur and Tech more, but I can't help but think it has something to do with the razor itself.

It seems to be shaving up against the grain that I would think a lighter razor has an advantage.

... maybe I'm just the poor craftsman who blames his tools! 😁

Top Bottom