What's new

Do you clean the wax off new blades?

I never remove wax. I disassemble the razor after each shave and towel each part dry. I shake the blade dry (the wax helps here by stopping the blade wetting) and then reassemble with the blade the other way up. Takes maybe a minute.

Very rarely I get blades with a blob of wax covering part of the edge. I tried different ways to clean it but it really likes to hold on there. To my surprise the best way was to just shave as is. Stubble removes annihilates it instantly. I was overthinking it.

I find the Gillette Silver Blues to be the worst. It does bother me and for good reason too. When I put a GSB in my Gillette NEW razor that I had nickel plated, it almost ruined it. I had a very hard time removing the wax from the razor. It seem to stain the razor.
A couple of small spots is not bad but the amount they put on the GSB blades is too much.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I find the Gillette Silver Blues to be the worst. It does bother me and for good reason too. When I put a GSB in my Gillette NEW razor that I had nickel plated, it almost ruined it. I had a very hard time removing the wax from the razor. It seem to stain the razor.
A couple of small spots is not bad but the amount they put on the GSB blades is too much.
Yeah, my favorite blade, but the dots are WAY overkill. I just pretty much put them in my Tech and forget it till next swap. But it has over 40 shaves on it and STILL has wax on it!

Yeah, my favorite blade, but the dots are WAY overkill. I just pretty much put them in my Tech and forget it till next swap. But it has over 40 shaves on it and STILL has wax on it!

They were my favorite blade as well but I won't use them anymore. I've switched to the Gillette 7 O'clock yellows that have only small wax spots. The blade is just as good.

FarmerTan

They were my favorite blade as well but I won't use them anymore. I've switched to the Gillette 7 O'clock yellows that have only small wax spots. The blade is just as good.
Just as good?!?! Heresy I say!!!!

But thanks for the recommendation.

Yes,same here...the GSB is the worst offender.
Wax goes way out and on to the blade edge. Very thick splodges of wax on each blade.
They work nicely in the Karve, but I do clean them for that razor ('cos it's new and I like it).
For my Tech's, etc I just bung them in.
Only another 60 GSB blades to go and I'll be finished with them. Won't buy more.
Yes, the Yellows are good, Lab Blues too (no wax).

wax blobs get my goat too.
Although technically it is an industrial gel, not wax. no wonder it doesn't melt in moderate warm water.
small spots don't bother me but every batch of Polsilvers I have, got huge blobs covering almost 70% of blade itself > leading to a safety concern. Once i nearly managed to chop off my finger tip when i was trying to pry off the blade from wrapper. And this concern is coming from someone like me who will probably score lowest rank in a DuPont safety rating.
I am really pissed with Polsilvers on that account.

Once the head and bottom plate are screwed together, or the TTO doors cranked closed, any blade wax becomes unseen. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
I prefer to be annoyed by other insignificant "problems". For instance, one of the cats delights in dropping a fuzzy toy mouse into the water dish. Pulling it out of the water & wring it out is more annoying than a mere wax dot ...:001_tt2:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
GSB has a message NOT to wipe the blade. Anyway, when it is in the razor, There is no sign of 99.9% of the blade!
Honestly guys, if the wax worries you, no wonder you keep on buying gear in the hope it increases your shaving pleasure by a fraction. LO L.

Seriously, does anyone know why the wax is there and why manufacturers say do jot wipe their blades.
i will be a lawyer thought of that. Its not necessary and you'll probably cut yourself.

FarmerTan

Seriously, does anyone know why the wax is there and why manufacturers say do jot wipe their blades.
It keeps the blade from moving around inside the wrapper to keep it from getting dull during shipment.

Or just to irritate me!
Dave

I have tried a spritz of alcohol and then a q-tip....not only does it not work fast, it smudges the printing
on the blade...the end result looks pretty awful. So I leave them alone...they do smear the baseplate
and top cap but a once a week soft toothbrush with soapy water and its good as new.

I don't think anyone should try removing the wax. That's a freakin' razor blade. You shouldn't be handling it more than unwrapping and installing it and removing and disposing it. And you should do that cautiously.

And how would you remove the wax anyway? Chemically? Or perhaps by holding the blade with tweezers or tongs and melting the wax with a torch-style cigar lighter?

That delves into the realm of the absurd.

There are wax spots and there are wax spots.
Most are easy to ignore as they are just in the middle of the blade. These blades I just pop in the razor and go shave.
The ones I'm on about are such as the GSB spots.
Huge clumps that spread out over the cutting edge.
In a generic razor with plenty of tolerance you can get away with just bunging in a GSB.
In a modern CNC machined razor (Timeless, Karve, etc) you get issues.
The wax spot extends out to the blade edge. You tighten the razor down on the new blade and the wax spot now contacts the edge of the cap.
Something has to give, and it's the blade edge. It's forced down away from the cap at both ends.
You now no longer have that lovely straight blade edge (that you bought the fancy razor for!). You have your own 'wavy blade' type of issue.
So with GSB's I do use the finger nail and scrape away the worst of the blob so that the cap/blade interface is clean.

Yes OP. I do remove wax, because it gets on my razors and bugs me.

I use the blade I just removed from the razor to gently scrape off the wax on the new blade. I just get off the big blobs, and don’t worry about the rest.

Top Bottom