What's new

Do you clean the wax off new blades?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just let it wear off, or wash off in the sink water. I rinse the blade after shaving and dab it dry but a new blade just goes in the razor and gets used. I switch off to the wax dots.

I am in the camp where wax spots drive me nuts. BUT.. I don't hate them when they are tiny and manageable.
The reason I hate them because of safety concern. I have a bunch of Polsilvers where spots are HUGE enough to meet and greet each other in middle. In spite of my best efforts I have not been successful in removing the wrapper without it getting torn on either of the wax spot. Mind you I am not the most ideal candidate for dupont safety system but unwrapping this blade every week gets me on the edge.

Only if the wax is near the cutting edge, and contemplate just tossing it. Maybe now I will consider soaking in hot water? In the middle of the blade, don't like it but no way I will waste time removing it.

No. I just put a new blade in the razor and shave. I don't pay any mind to the wax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

giphy (69).gif

Jokes aside, personally I just let hot water run over the middle of the blades so it clears off most of the wax before using it. Or, I use a Personna. :biggrin1:

I have been playing with the idea of hanging the new blades in a jar of isopropyl alcohol.
Works a treat. Melts (dissolves) the wax off after a couple of days.
Bung the clean new blade in the razor, hang another wax covered blade in the jar, and all good to go.
Now, if you had a razor that didn't clamp the blade tightly right out near the edge...would the wax spots affect the blade enough to distort it (maybe only a few thousandths of an inch) and give you a rough feeling shave?
So if you mount the blade with wax spots up, the spots don't smear out to nothing...there is still a wee lump there. That wax sits up against the top cap and bends the blade down in that area. Not much, but in a razor that's a tad marginal in design maybe that's enough to give a bad shave feel because the blade now has a slightly 'curved' profile.
Maybe that helps...it's sort of like having a Seygus Zeppelin!
I'm only playing with wax removal, but think maybe use the blade with wax spots facing down towards the more solid part of the razor (the base plate).
And no, I'm not getting all scientific or anything...I normally just bung a blade in anyway.
Just wondered about other members thoughts on the wax spots.

The wax bugs the crap out of me and my favorite blade sadly has them bad, the polsilver si. I run them under hot water but that doesn't do anything. I may try the alcohol soak method, although I tried a med prep or lab blue yesterday, (who knows which because they were samples and the seller didn't label them and they both have the new blue packaging,) and it gave a decent shave. I may go through all of them and see.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For years that wax bugged the devil out of me. Whenever I removed an old blade I used that blade to meticulously scrape every trace of wax off the new blade. But most B&Bers said they just used blades as-is, so I quit fooling with that. For a few blade changes it seemed all wrong, but my lazy streak won out in the end.

I find the wax makes the blade stick in some of me razors. I soak the unwrapped blade in some alcohol and problem solved!

GSB has a message NOT to wipe the blade. Anyway, when it is in the razor, There is no sign of 99.9% of the blade!
Honestly guys, if the wax worries you, no wonder you keep on buying gear in the hope it increases your shaving pleasure by a fraction. LO L.

Seriously, does anyone know why the wax is there and why manufacturers say do jot wipe their blades.

Top Bottom