What's new

Do we really need to stretch blade life?

Why do we question guys who put their interests in blade life but praise those who turn their attention to acquiring $400 brushes? The one that's ridiculed actually effects the outcome of the shave at least. But why should either one or anything about this thing of ours cause such reactions? It is, for us anyways, a hobby. Live and let live.
That’s not the question.
But to answer yours maybe it’s because enjoying this hobby by extending the life of a $.06 blade seems silly compared to enjoying a hobby by spending $400 on an item that brings you pleasure. I mean you bring up money but it’s not about money is it? I mean if you think about it someone getting 100 shaves out of a $.06 blade saves very very VERY little per shave.

That’s not the question.
But to answer yours maybe it’s because enjoying this hobby by extending the life of a $.06 blade seems silly compared to enjoying a hobby by spending $400 on an item that brings you pleasure. I mean you bring up money but it’s not about money is it? I mean if you think about it someone getting 100 shaves out of a $.06 blade saves very very VERY little per shave.
Sorry, I didn't do a good job of explaining myself. I don't use vintage blades exclusively to save money, although I've been able to get them, when you average it out, for about the same cost per shave. It's about the pleasure I get tracking them down and the better shaves I get with them. My point is it's a hobby for us and whatever way you go about it is up to you, what brings you more enjoyment from it. That's how I see it. Whether its getting 100 uses or just one from a blade, whether you derive pride from your expensive and hard to obtain brushes or from using the same Rubberset brush your dad used. Why criticize?
It's your bag man. Dig it.

Why do we question guys who put their interests in blade life but praise those who turn their attention to acquiring $400 brushes? The one that's ridiculed actually effects the outcome of the shave at least. But why should either one or anything about this thing of ours cause such reactions? It is, for us anyways, a hobby. Live and let live.
I don't really mind it much, but it sometimes comes off as one-upmanship. We plebeians just don't have what it takes in the technique department to achieve these amazing feats of blade longevity.

Other people are extremely proud of $200+ razors which I personally don't care about because I can get a good shave with a razor that costs $20 or less. It's a similar story for all the equipment and accessories. There is always that guy that has to have the best of everything, price is no object and wants you to know it. This sort of attitude is tiresome and annoying.

Sorry, I didn't do a good job of explaining myself. I don't use vintage blades exclusively to save money, although I've been able to get them, when you average it out, for about the same cost per shave. It's about the pleasure I get tracking them down and the better shaves I get with them. My point is it's a hobby for us and whatever way you go about it is up to you, what brings you more enjoyment from it. That's how I see it. Whether its getting 100 uses or just one from a blade, whether you derive pride from your expensive and hard to obtain brushes or from using the same Rubberset brush your dad used. Why criticize?
It's your bag man. Dig it.
I was being critical of people highlighting their perceived accomplishments and not answering the question at hand. I saw the long life blade users actually the ones being critical of people tossing a blade out after a few uses. They were the ones not being accepting of someone pitching a six cent blade.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This thread is going to get locked if we can’t play nice. There’s 30 forums here, 450,000 threads here. Go explore. Why do people on the internet camp out in one thread and insist their opinion is of greater importance than anyone else’s.

Move on.

I agree,move on.
We are talking about the cheapest thing out there,a pack of 100 blades costs 10-15 dollars and even if changed weekly will last for two years...
Do as you wish and as your stubble dictates (personally I have been DE shaving since 1980 and always change the blade every Saturday morning,I shave daily,I have great technique but after seven shaves no blade cuts as close and as smooth as ME wants (ME not YOU) :)
So... move on guys... nothing to see here :)

This thread is going to get locked if we can’t play nice. There’s 30 forums here, 450,000 threads here. Go explore. Why do people on the internet camp out in one thread and insist their opinion is of greater importance than anyone else’s.

Move on.
Amen my friend.

I bin the blade when it no longer shaves well. If it's at 3 shaves or 23+ shaves, it matters not.

It's like any other wear item to me.

Just because they're cheap is not sound rationale for tossing a perfectly good blade after only a couple of shaves. I have nearly a dozen makes of blades I rotate thru & likely have eough stockpiled already to last me a lifetime or 2. Nevertheless, I shave with a blade until it begins to tug or takes extra effort to get a smooth close, irritation-free shave.
I've read of folks stropping blades to increase blade life & had generally regarded it as BS, but, after installing a hook for my strops on the shave lab door, I decided to try it out. Not expecting anything substantial, I was surprised that a Personna that was about to hit end of life after 5 shaves performs noticeably better after about 15 reps on the strop. Just for the halibut, I decided to strop it prior to every subsequent use. I'm hoping it will just wear out, & I can toss it into the blade bank, but after the 11th shave this morning, It remains a comfortable shave.

I've used Rapira LUX's only in a Gillette Super Adjustable, and get 4 great shaves at the max - If I can get another 3-4 worthwhile shaves, maybe I'll buy another 5 pack ...

The cost of the blade or the negligible savings doesn't concern me, since my bank account will likely outlive me, even at a lavish spend rate. It's just amusing to be able to add a little life to a blade. I don't toss Grandpa's straight when the shave degrades, or when It won't strop enough for a good shave - that's what my 100+ year old honing stones are for.

Fun is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone enjoys the same ideas of accomplishment or amusement.

Last edited:
One of my other 'hobbies' is hammock camping. When the debate gets hot in those forums inevitably someone says 'HYOH' - which is 'Hang Your Own Hang' or in English 'do what makes you happy and works for you'.

Maybe we should just SYOS - 'Shave Your Own Shave' on this topic :)

This is where I keep em till the next day. I wonder if storing em in oil would prolong the life. It sure would make it fun loading it all oiled up and everything. Ha!
View attachment 1043655
You don't need to store them immersed in oil, but wiping them down with a blade oil may help if you store a used blade for several days/weeks/months between uses.

I mix Camellia Seed Oil and Lanolin to make a classic straight razor blade oil & wiping a DE blade edge with saturated Q-Tip won't hurt.

Speaking again as someone who uses vintage blades exclusively both stainless and carbon I can say any special care other than rinsing for a stainless isn't necessary but a quick immersion in rubbing alcohol and then letting it air dry is a wise thing with carbons. An oil of some kind works as well but is a little messy. Displacing any water is the goal.

I use blades until I have to keep going over the right jaw area over and over again to cut off all of the hair there. Once I am not able to cut the hair, that blade is done. Even if it is only the second time using it, or if it is the 7th time.

You don't need to store them immersed in oil, but wiping them down with a blade oil may help if you store a used blade for several days/weeks/months between uses.

I mix Camellia Seed Oil and Lanolin to make a classic straight razor blade oil & wiping a DE blade edge with saturated Q-Tip won't hurt.

I was kidding.

I don't do anything special to increase the life of a blade. But over the years blade life has automatically increased so that from the few shaves they used to last me, now they have started lasting 50 shaves for me on a regular basis. I guess that I should assume that the blades these days must have become a lot better than those made 25 years ago.

Do we really need to stretch blade life? Nope. Do we do it because it is fun? Absolutely! I just like to see how far a blade will go. Also, I find that almost every blade I have tried (with the exception of Shark Chrome and VDH) don't really come into their own until about the 3rd shave. After that, its fun to see how far it will go until it starts to tug. It's a hobby and hobbies have people that like them for different reasons. Wanna toss a blade after 1 or 2 uses? Great! Wanna try to get to 100 shaves? Also great. Have fun with your shave, that is what it is all about!

Top Bottom