What's new

Do u use sunscreens?

Yes, but 4+ hours of my workday are spent outside. I used to think that sunscreen was silly or frivolous. One day, I had a co-worker who had to have 3/4 of his ear removed because of skin cancer. I now wear sunscreen (even when not spending massive amounts of time outside) and a hat.

Never have being of the darker melatonin variety. However, normally when I am outside, i wear hats on a regular basis. Plus, working @ night, My concern for the sun is when driving home and tinted windows takes care of that.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Kyle said:
Yes, but 4+ hours of my workday are spent outside. I used to think that sunscreen was silly or frivolous. One day, I had a co-worker who had to have 3/4 of his ear removed because of skin cancer. I now wear sunscreen (even when not spending massive amounts of time outside) and a hat.

I get sunburned when I open the refridgerator.:mad:

So what sunscreens does everyone use? Has anyone found one that doesn't smell like what it is?

Sunscreen is a must. My father had several bouts of melanoma, and I can tell you it isn't pretty. As I got older, a hat became a necessity as well since the scalp-sunburn is incredibly painful. I haven't found much difference between brands, though. I just buy some high SPF number and slather it on.

Lately, I have been using Neutrogena sunscreens plus a sample of the Menscience sunscreen. I have had a hard time finding a sunscreen that doesn't break me out for one reason or another. I have had good luck with the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock with Parsol 1789. I have been wanting to try the brand La Roche-Posay as a prominent dermatologist I was working with recommended it. I photo-copied the bottle and it is the Anthelios-W Gel spf 40. It is made in France and uses mexoryl which is not approved by the FDA in the USA...that is another long discussion. Anyway, the website he recommended was skincarelab.com and they sell it for $55 in a 100 ml bottle (price obviously keeping me from trying it). The sunscreen is also for sale in a liquid, cream, and "milk" (not sure as to the consistency). Prices seem to range from 40-60 bucks.

EDIT: In response to Kyle's comment about starting to wear sunscreen after having a co-worker have an ear nearly removed b/c of skin cancer. Remember that sunscreen will help to prevent NEW skin damage. Damage done to your skin while a child, teen, young adult, etc will catchup to you later. I'd recommend keeping the kiddos lathered up whenever possible. Also, see your derm or regular doc anytime you see a suspicious lesion on your skin. Long sleeves and a hat whenever possible in addition to the sunscreen. Also, the windows in your car do not provide protection against all the UV rays, so if you drive a lot or for a living you still need to protect yourself. Now stepping down off the soap box...saw one too many nasty skin cancers and Mohs surgeries as a med student.

Yes, I use sunscreen every day if I will be going outside even for a little while. And I wear a hat most of the time. A Tilley, not a ball cap. And long sleeves.

I have tried several sunscreens, but have finally decided on Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch. It comes in SPF35, 45 and 55. I always spray on some hydrosol or toner then apply the sunblock. This one goes on evenly and easily and dries silky smooth, no annoying greasy feel. Does not irritate eyes and is waterproof, sweatproof. I usually apply it after shaving with no burning sensation. Only about US$7.00. At Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Target, etc.

Cheers,
Richard
Already Hot in North Texas

PS I agree with Todd. I do see a dermatologist twice a year and this time she found a small superficial basil cell carcinoma at my hairline. Anyway, I am going in for Mohs outpatient microsurgery on 6 June to remove it. Even if you do everything to protect yourself from the sun (sunblock, reduced exposure, hats, etc.), these skin cancers can show up any time, maybe even years later.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
Sunscreen is a must. My father had several bouts of melanoma, and I can tell you it isn't pretty. As I got older, a hat became a necessity as well since the scalp-sunburn is incredibly painful. I haven't found much difference between brands, though. I just buy some high SPF number and slather it on.

One of the (only) good things about getting older is that you look less geeky with the hat and the white nose. We were in Florida last month, and went kayaking in the brutal sun so my daughter could swim with manatees. (It's amazing how little one need tip to break all manner of federal law.) I looked like Claude Rains, but I'll bet I was the only one that didn't suffer the next day.

Anyone sell spf aleph-one?

Well, I do, but my skin type is IV (rarely burns, tans easily), so maybe I can skip sunscreen some days

rafikz said:
Well, I do, but my skin type is IV (rarely burns, tans easily), so maybe I can skip sunscreen some days

You may not burn like some of us, but those UV rays and other dangerous rays are still there.

Randy

U may be right Randy.
As an olive-skinned Mediterranean who has spent 18 years in sunny climates and nice beaches, I still look like a kid (which means great skin:biggrin: )

SMF thread

This thread discusses the Colourscience product "Sunforgettable." Instead of going in-depth here, I'll simply refer you to the thread, as it contains some great info and explains the product really well.

teamacacia said:
Lately, I have been using Neutrogena sunscreens plus a sample of the Menscience sunscreen. I have had a hard time finding a sunscreen that doesn't break me out for one reason or another. I have had good luck with the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock with Parsol 1789. I have been wanting to try the brand La Roche-Posay as a prominent dermatologist I was working with recommended it. I photo-copied the bottle and it is the Anthelios-W Gel spf 40. It is made in France and uses mexoryl which is not approved by the FDA in the USA...that is another long discussion. Anyway, the website he recommended was skincarelab.com and they sell it for $55 in a 100 ml bottle (price obviously keeping me from trying it). The sunscreen is also for sale in a liquid, cream, and "milk" (not sure as to the consistency). Prices seem to range from 40-60 bucks.

EDIT: In response to Kyle's comment about starting to wear sunscreen after having a co-worker have an ear nearly removed b/c of skin cancer. Remember that sunscreen will help to prevent NEW skin damage. Damage done to your skin while a child, teen, young adult, etc will catchup to you later. I'd recommend keeping the kiddos lathered up whenever possible. Also, see your derm or regular doc anytime you see a suspicious lesion on your skin. Long sleeves and a hat whenever possible in addition to the sunscreen. Also, the windows in your car do not provide protection against all the UV rays, so if you drive a lot or for a living you still need to protect yourself. Now stepping down off the soap box...saw one too many nasty skin cancers and Mohs surgeries as a med student.

Richard, I hope everything goes well. I am glad that you are proactive rather than waiting for major problems to occur. I hate to see friends have health problems.

full

This is a picture of me (without the mask !!!) and my friend Roger (sharpetoys from the fedora lounge)...we are wearing montechristi hats from ecuador...these are hand weaved....Roger's hat is a much weave than mine...and he has one that is weaved so tightly that it feels like linen...

ok...i told you all of that to say...that since I started wearing hats about 4 months ago...I haven't had any sunburn...even in florida for 6 days !!!! I really didn;t wear any sunscreen on my face....but my neck, arms and legs...

I am looking for that face sunscreen that, is light and doesn't feel like I have a mask on...I have used Oil Of Olay with some success...but I am interersted in searching for any thing better...

But back to the hats...since I do go out in the sun, too...these hats have been a real blessing for me in comfort from the heat and protection from the UV's.....If you need any info about hats, pm me and I will be glad to sahre...

mark the shoeshine boy

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Sea and Ski regular on my body and Sea and Ski faces for on my face. I love that stuff and it works really well. SPF 50, Non-Comedogenic, Water resistant....

I use the Faces sunscreen by Banana Boat. I have a shaved head and drive around alot at work so the left arm is daker. I also wear a skully from Headsweats.com that is made of coolmax and has a SPF of 40.

Top Bottom