What's new

Do thinning shears work?

I have a pretty thick handlebar mustache and the boss man is giving me the stink eye over it. Will thinning shears help maintain a mustache? Any thoughts would be appreciated

I wouldn't use those for mustache trimming or maintenance. All you need is a good solid very sharp small bladed scissors. Several of the websites the specialize in beard and mustache grooming sell various options, I've personally had good luck with like quality string scissors from like hobby/craft stores as well, often for a lower price point.

I've used the same pair of surgical scissors for year , like since the 80s at least , but they're curved , Good Scissors , though . But I bought a pair of DOVO Stainless Moustache scissors 43 456 a while back , but recently (comprende' ?)(then another set for my Son-N-Law , The Beard guy), but at one point my stache looked great , then I'd have a bad stache day , goof up , trim too much here or there . Then no more great stache , for a while I used beard trimmers , it became a mess . So I've been letting it get to the preferred style by letting it go and waxing . All the crazies have to get to the lip (probably have) , but I'm still holding off . I would hit the wild ones ,so they've gotta chill , and get there . ... never know , I might go epic , or I might go with the original plan . But it's Big again , and it will Handlebar . If I start back trimming I want a good straight trim , Full Stache , no crew cut moustache anymore . But I'm sure most have bad stache days , just have to hold off .

But I don't trim much or often , but when I do , it's going to be a little ... with these ...

$hr_439-033-00_dovo-stainless-steel-mustache-scissors-43456.jpg

if you are rocking a handlebar it is a shame to trim at all. you may be able to try different styles. for example tighter curls look smaller that larger swoops. i tend to go with a natural look which looks bushier, but wax can also really control that aspect and make it all look smaller as well.

i found two old pictures showing how different size curls affect the look.
first the smaller ones
1.jpg

and as compared to larger
5.jpg

you can make it all look a lot less bushy if you go with a heavier waxed look rather than natural.

To thin out my moustache and goatee, I use a small pair of Wahl clippers.
Lather it up, comb it into place, then use the clippers with a guard of your choice and go ATG.
Take off the guard and use the bare clippers for detail work around the inside.

If you don't have the clippers yet, I recommend the Wahl Peanut.
It is a corded model available for about $40 everywhere.

Top Bottom