What's new

Do thicker lathers and creams work well with the Henson safety razor?

It's been suggested elsewhere that Cremo and gels work better with the innovative Henson razor, but I would like to try some of the products from Taylor of Old Bond Street and Proraso. I'm afraid it may not work well with my Henson mild razor. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I should also mention that I prefer brushless shaving.

Last edited:
I’ve never used a Henson but I have much experience with mild and aggressive razors. I found I’d need a denser lather with an aggressive razor while a milder razor would have a harder time getting through this type of lather.

You should be fine with Proraso or TOBS, just make sure it’s hydrated enough, i.e., don’t go crazy trying to make yogurt out of whatever you use.

never any issue with whatever cream (or soap) with my henson!
great razor!

henson creams.jpg

yeah, I've tried some of the exotic after shaves, and enjoyed them a lot, but I don't think I like anything better than classic Aqua Velva. I like Mennen Skin bracer too.

It's been suggested elsewhere that Cremo and gels work better with the innovative Henson razor, but I would like to try some of the products from Taylor of Old Bond Street and Proraso. I'm afraid it may not work well with my Henson mild razor. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I should also mention that I prefer brushless shaving.
I have never had a problem with any shaving cream with my Henson razor. All of the common creams worked fine lathered just as I normally would. Though I have not tried any brushless creams with the razor.

Slickness is important to avoid nicks: keep adding water until you can't add any more. Some soaps will take more water than others eg Tabac & Arko.

A sharp blade in a mild razor can be a great combination, particularly if you have coarse hair. Nacets are a good choice and good value.

I have never had a problem with any shaving cream with my Henson razor. All of the common creams worked fine lathered just as I normally would. Though I have not tried any brushless creams with the razor.
Great! If those thick rich lathers you guys whip up with brushes work with the Henson, any brushless alternative should work just fine I think.

The Henson has a high capacity for lather storage, I just tested it again yesterday. What you can do to test rinse out is take your preferred cream and apply some to the end of the razor, carefully, and try to rinse it off. Insufficiently hydrated lather will stay stuck to the razor and have a consistency like thick glue. If your cream does that with the test then when you go to shave, it won't rinse completely and will continue to build up and clog. That can make the razor seem like it doesn't rinse well.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
never any issue with whatever cream (or soap) with my henson!
great razor!

View attachment 1477593

As soon as I saw your picture, the song in my heart began playing. And can, you feel, the love, tonight. And I am shaking my head up and down, Ohhhhh yes I feel the love, look at that gorgeous steel blue Henson razor right there. Matching up with that blue bottle of Aqua Velva aftershave, and some 1919 Cream! Oh my gosh, and look at that, you even got a brush with a blue handle to match, well, isn't that something! Thanks for sharing such a lovely picture with us!

Here's my Henson AL13 Medium razor in Steel Blue!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The Henson has a high capacity for lather storage, I just tested it again yesterday. What you can do to test rinse out is take your preferred cream and apply some to the end of the razor, carefully, and try to rinse it off. Insufficiently hydrated lather will stay stuck to the razor and have a consistency like thick glue. If your cream does that with the test then when you go to shave, it won't rinse completely and will continue to build up and clog. That can make the razor seem like it doesn't rinse well.

This is something that I have discovered with other razors as well, and I don't think its exclusive to Henson razors. If the lather is too dry, it will stick in the razor. I remember one time I really screwed up when I was using some Proraso read. My soap content was extremely high, and my hydration content was extremely low. The result is the lather dried while it was on my face. I had a terrible shave that day, and that was a strong lesson I had to learn.

So yes, I can agree with Aaron 100%, speaking from experience, hydration is key, to preventing lather sticking inside the razor. You want a Yogurt like consistency on your face for lather, and usually that also means, the lather is hydrated enough to prevent sticking. My two cents...

Top Bottom