What's new

Do synthetic fragrances negatively affect human hormones?

Can anyone comment on the articles I'm reading about how synthetic fragrances negatively affect human hormones. It's appears that any fragrance, soap, shampoo, or other body cosmetic that contains the word "fragrance" in it's list of ingredients probably contains an Endocrine Disrupting Chemical (EDC). Here's one of of those articles.

I'm interested in others comments.

Thank you.

Can anyone comment on the articles I'm reading about how synthetic fragrances negatively affect human hormones. It's appears that any fragrance, soap, shampoo, or other body cosmetic that contains the word "fragrance" in it's list of ingredients probably contains an Endocrine Disrupting Chemical (EDC). Here's one of of those articles.

I'm interested in others comments.

Thank you.

Absolutely, and it's not just synthetic fragrances. Except for motion, the body communicates with small amounts of hormones. How small? About 18 months ago, I got my first IV. The person giving it to me told me to tell them when I tasted salt. It was almost instantaneous.

In Dec 2017, I learned I had Neuroendocrine cancer. The drug of choice stopped the liver's ability to product IGF1 (Insulin like growth factor). This hormone acts indirectly on the pituitary gland to control the release of Human Growth Hormone. This hormone gives cells permission to reproduce. It targets specific cells by an enzyme combination unique to the cells that are supposed to reproduce. In my case, I'm on a strict whole food plant-based diet, so the drug would have been deadly if continued. The diet cured the "incurable" cancer in months.

If I use Arko soap, I get an instant headache of short duration.

I can't go to a restaurant that fries food because I don't use oil. Even the smell of oil makes me feel yucky because I can sense the damage that is being done by it.

Every hormone has primary purposes we are aware of. Vitamin D participates in about 140 separate processes. Vitamin D supplements act in a negative way.

The list goes on and on.

The article may be accurate, but if so, it's only one case of thousands of interactions that occur in an unnatural environment. Rather than worrying about fragrances, I suggest being concerned about the food you eat.

I have no idea which shave items have "synthetic" vs "natural" elements!!
I only know what I like!!
And, at my elevated age, I have little fear of elements threatening my (few remaining) hormones!!

tabac ems feather december 1 2018.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! Interesting stuff.

Yes; upon skin contact with chemicals, instant absorbtion occurs and sometimes with instant health effects ... think about bug spray, hair spray, etc.

So yeah, know what's in it. Skin is the largest organ, is it not.

AA

EDIT: read it. OK, now for the opposite: somebody invent a cologne that boosts testosterone, makes you healthier, promotes memory, etc.

I've heard of the positive effects of NATURAL scents and essential oils, but this is the first I've heard of the effects of synthetic fragrances. I'll have to give the article a read later.

Wow! Interesting stuff.

Yes; upon skin contact with chemicals, instant absorbtion occurs and sometimes with instant health effects ... think about bug spray, hair spray, etc.

So yeah, know what's in it. Skin is the largest organ, is it not.

AA

EDIT: read it. OK, now for the opposite: somebody invent a cologne that boosts testosterone, makes you healthier, promotes memory, etc.
If it could cure various ailments and regrow hair, that would be great too.

I appreciate everyone's comments. It's a sensitive issue for many people on both sides of the issue. Attached is a more scholarly article on the subject. I hope it helps. Here are a few more comments from my end:

1. Since I started wet shaving, I have become more interested in scents because they add such pleasure to my morning routine. I found that the problem with most splashes/aftershaves and colognes is that their longevity is limited--minutes to a couple of hours. EDT's, EDP's, and parfums last longer and I had hope to find two or three nice ones that I could use at the office and on special occasions. In the process of experimenting with men's fragrances, my wife brought my attention to the concerns about these products, concerns that I was not aware of at all. This is the backstory to this thread.

2. In response to age, my wife and I hope to have a baby or two in the next few years, and I have a few years left in my life as well. If the concerns about fragrances are true, I want to have some clarity about the concerns before I wear them regularly as originally planned.

3. Thus far in my research, I plan to strike somewhat of a compromise. The US has not passed any federal legislation (though one in process) that regulates/eliminates certain known harmful ingredients in fragrances. Therefore, I will not purchase any fragrances (splashes, aftershaves, EDT's, etc.) made in the US where fragrance ingredients are not listed on product labels. Most fragrance companies label their scent ingredients with "fragrance" only. However, it appears that the EU has taken a much stricter position with fragrance manufacturers and have already banned more than 1K fragrance ingredients known to cause health issues or allergies. For example, fragrance companies in the EU, particularly in France, are prohibited from using phthalates (know hormone inhibitors) whereas in the US they can be used. My compromise is to buy fragrances made in France or the EU only or fragrances made in the US with essential oils.

Shaving soaps is another issue that I haven't gotten to yet. I'm just glad that Mike's Natural Soaps makes awesome shaving soaps with essential oils.

Attachments

• Flavour & Fragrance Journal Article.pdf
    122.3 KB · Views: 5
@Joshua223 You need to read more closely about some natural EOs, Lavender in particular. Quite a number of them have possible issues. Most things in moderation aren't an issue though.

@Montgomery115 Phthalates Factsheet | National Biomonitoring Program | CDC is a better link saying what is known which is little. The link from there to NIM does suggest limiting contact, especially of children, from softer vinyl-like plastics and other measures. Oh, and the tubing taking blood to and from the dialysis machine . . . Giving high doses orally to rodents cause reduced sperm count, hormone changes and birth defects. Sperm count goes back up after they quit eating it. Several good links to information,

The amount in humans is minuscule compared to the amounts give to the rats.

@Joshua223 You need to read more closely about some natural EOs, Lavender in particular. Quite a number of them have possible issues. Most things in moderation aren't an issue though.

@Montgomery115 Phthalates Factsheet | National Biomonitoring Program | CDC is a better link saying what is known which is little. The link from there to NIM does suggest limiting contact, especially of children, from softer vinyl-like plastics and other measures. Oh, and the tubing taking blood to and from the dialysis machine . . . Giving high doses orally to rodents cause reduced sperm count, hormone changes and birth defects. Sperm count goes back up after they quit eating it. Several good links to information,

The amount in humans is minuscule compared to the amounts give to the rats.

Thank you, particularly for the phthalates fact sheet! It's been difficult trying to understand what's going on in the fragrance industry because, as you pointed out, just because something is "natural" or "organic" (e.g. lavender) doesn't mean it's safe or healthy. And the same is true of synthetics. Not all synthetics are bad or unhealthy.

This is good article about fragrance regulation in the EU: Special Report: EU threat spotlights perfume makers' secrets - Reuters

A couple of interesting quotes from the article:
"If the SCCS’s recommendations are enforced by the European Commission, IFRA estimates some 9,000 perfume formulas would have to be changed."

"Patrick Saint-Yves, president of the French Society of Perfume Creators (SFP), is furious about the recommendation. 'I simply find that there is a huge contradiction. We encourage the use of many essential oils such as lavender in aromatherapy for massages, but we want to ban it in perfumes. Shops continue to sell alcohol and cigarettes which do much more harm.'”

Last edited:
I was only joking about making a miracle cure cologne. He posted it would be good if the cologne could boost testosterone and promote good health. I responded it would be nice if it regrew hair and cured other ailments.

Yes, no doubt about it , and almost everything we buy is either 100% synthetic or close to it. "Nature Identical " means nothing , and it is not " identical ". Before Chanel started making synthetic fragrances in 1925 everything was natural..Imagine what the original Lilac Vegetal smelled like, using alcohol, water , real animal civet and real Lilac essential oils....

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes, no doubt about it , and almost everything we buy is either 100% synthetic or close to it. "Nature Identical " means nothing , and it is not " identical ". Before Chanel started making synthetic fragrances in 1925 everything was natural..Imagine what the original Lilac Vegetal smelled like, using alcohol, water , real animal civet and real Lilac essential oils....
I'd prefer NOT to imagine what LV smells like, no matter what its composition. JMHO, of course.

They've already had to reformulate 1000s of perfumes due to regulations, nothing new

My bad. I should have looked at the date of the article and followed up on the status. Apparently, the EU has been enforcing said regulations since 2012 or thereabouts. I read fragrance reviews and many reviewers mention reformations, they just don't discuss the cause of them. BTW - I tried a sample of Fougere Royale by Houbigant today (apparently it was reformulated in 2010) and it's quite lovely.

Top Bottom