What's new

Do some EDT's and colognes lose their scent in time?

I have some vintage EDT and colognes that I have had for many years and they do not seem to have lost their scent. They have been in a box in the basement so they have been kept cool. I have read that some lose their scents in time and I am curious to see what the experience of some of you gents has been. In recent years I have acquired some new fragrances and I am wondering about their longevity. From time to time I see posts of people stockpiling fragrances so perhaps it is not a concern. I had an old bottle of DE Guerlain Vetiver with very little in it and when I used it the fragrance was as I remembered. I found a replacement on the bay and was disappointed with the scent which was nothing like I remembered. It was represented as vintage and had the original seal but perhaps either it was not genuine or was exposed to heat or sunlight.

What is your experience?

Best regards,

Doug

I had a bottle of Blenheim Bouquet lose it's scent over a couple of years, just ended up smelling like alchohol, was probably due to being exposed, on a dresser in a bright room. I've also bought a couple of bottles online which turned out to be turned, a bottle of Bowling Greene, another of Eau de Rochas, and a bottle of Epicea. Storage is important, heat and light will kill a fragrance. Citrus and things like lavender will turn fairly quickly if not stored well. Most things should last years if stored well, though.

I have a Kenneth Cole Black I've had for the past 4 years and it still smells great! I kept it hidden behind in the medicine cabinet

I keep my 200 designer bottles in my hall in 5 drawers. My more expensive niche frags (circa 50-60 bottles) are now kept in a wine cooler.

If you keep them out of light and relatively cool, they should last for years........some will turn over faster than others depending on the juice and the bottle design - how tight is the sprayer attached etc.

Top Bottom