What's new

Do samples give worse lather than full tubs?

Do samples give worse lather than full tubs?

• Yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Stop enabling

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Mtn man said it. Problem with samples is that loading from a bowl works very well to get a lather started. Loading from a tiny scrap, not so much.

Mtn man said it. Problem with samples is that loading from a bowl works very well to get a lather started. Loading from a tiny scrap, not so much.

I always scoop out the samples but never from my full puck. Even with my synbad it’s a pain to lather samples scooped out into the bowl unless I put the entire sample in the bowl and then face lather or lather in a separate bowl.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I scoop the sample out of whatever it arrives in, and mould it into the bottom of a small ramekin. If it's a very hard dry sample, I'll let the flakes/shaving sit in a little water to soften up before loading. I then load the brush from that, and face lather as normal. Works great.

I also reuse finished soap tubs for this purpose, spreading the sample in the bottom of the unused tub.
I have to agree that I also had some surprising results from samples, recently I tried Saponificio Varesino and, this week, Declaration Grooming DarkFall (Icarus) and both under performed for me (for such an high regarded soaps).
On another note, there were other samples that worked great like Meissner Tremonia, MDC and Proraso Single Blade.
Based on this experiences I'm not willing to buy full tubs of DG and SV.

I believe that unless you get the sample directly from the company that makes the soap or cream, your most likely getting an expired item, or a sample made from a product return to whatever web retailer you get the sample from.

That might be true in some very particular cases, but I think most of us want to try the newest things and is improbable that the samples have expired.

I'm my particular case I tried the DG Icarus sample again this week, loading the crap out of it (until it ended) and it was only an OK lather.
I also used the SV sample for my head shave and it was terrible.
Yesterday I used a Fine sample and I was actually impressed by the performance.
All this samples were ordered on the same date.

That might be true in some very particular cases, but I think most of us want to try the newest things and is improbable that the samples have expired.

I'm my particular case I tried the DG Icarus sample again this week, loading the crap out of it (until it ended) and it was only an OK lather.
I also used the SV sample for my head shave and it was terrible.
Yesterday I used a Fine sample and I was actually impressed by the performance.
All this samples were ordered on the same date.
ever ask a retailer how often they toss out expired stock and get fresh?

I tried cella in the tub, it came with the little chunks inside it that some at the time told me it was expired and turning. And within perhaps two months of getting it, the rancid stench from it did say it turned bad.

Top Bottom