What's new

Do not wipe blade? Why?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I always thought you shouldn’t wipe a blade because you could remove the coating. After examining a tuck of 7o’clock Permasharps I was putting in my Dopp kit I noticed this on the side.
D0357D19-97A1-4516-9790-3AABB02DA4A9.jpeg

The word caution made me think they’re not worried about me removing the coating, but keeping me from slicing my fingers. Think about it. Many of us say the second and third shave with a blade is better than the first. Is it because I’ve worn some of the coating off?
The last sentence is also great advice.
That’s an old Phyllis Diller joke. Tranquilizers works great if you follow the directions on the bottle. Keep away from children.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Preserving fingers and hands makes more sense than preserving the coating materials from an “I don’t wanna get sued again” viewpoint. As someone ain’t an employee of PG&E, that’s baseless speculation on my part.

Preserving fingers and hands makes more sense than preserving the coating materials from an “I don’t wanna get sued again” viewpoint. As someone ain’t an employee of PG&E, that’s baseless speculation on my part.
I agree.
The act of shaving would be similar to wiping the blade, as far as removing the coating is concerned.

The word caution made me think they’re not worried about me removing the coating, but keeping me from slicing my fingers. Think about it. Many of us say the second and third shave with a blade is better than the first. Is it because I’ve worn some of the coating off?
Correct, it is to prevent injuries; some people need to be told razor blades are dangerous.
The application of the sprayed coating to the bevels causes some build up near the edge which is then baked on. Hence the first few strokes removes the overhanging coating thus fully exposing the cutting edge.
I wipe my blades daily to dry them and to remove that annoying scum caused by hard water and it has not reduced blade life as far as I can tell.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There's probably some truth to the line that wiping blades may cause edge damage if done haphazardly, early Gillette ads were rife with warnings about blade edge damage.
In this day and age, I have to believe that a warning is more about limiting litigation than it is in a company concerned about extending their products lifespan.

Same reason we have this plastic bag is not a toy do not put on head warnings :)
stupid people do stupid things and then want compensation :)

I pat mine or blot mine lightly more wick the wet away to dry and put back in the razor often
I did a light wipe for a bit and felt no difference ?

also think some could wipe to hard and bend or kink or as others damage the edge ?
For the coatings no idea would be fun to find out from the companies if you can just wipe off the coatings with a light touch and I am thinking NOT or NOT without using a chemical and super hard pressure with certain cloths etc...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I also rinse my blades after use. However, I pat them dry then shake them like a Polaroid picture (sorry for the ear-worm). But I have never seen a reduction in blade life either.
Ear worm! Thanks for the image my friend.

I ONE TIME wiped a big SE hair thinning blade in the middle of a client's haircut. Lol, never did it again, as I turned that beautiful blonde into a redhead!

When I was using a cheap Shaving Gel I had to wipe the residue from the edge I had used of the DE blade. (I intensely disliked that). Since I wanted the blades to last, I use my Glycerine shaving soap and no longer suffer from this malady.

I wipe the blade(s) only when necessary.

FarmerTan

I think that Glycerin soap doesn't get enough love. It can give a really good shave, especially in the shower. Under a canned foam shaving cream, used like a "pre-shave" it can be an incredible combination, especially in the shower. I've done it plenty of times with a double edge razor. Lol, I don't know why, but it always surprises me at how good a job it does...

I think that Glycerin soap doesn't get enough love. It can give a really good shave, especially in the shower. Under a canned foam shaving cream, used like a "pre-shave" it can be an incredible combination, especially in the shower. I've done it plenty of times with a double edge razor. Lol, I don't know why, but it always surprises me at how good a job it does...
I agree. Simplicity while shaving can, and often does, yield the best results.

I just turned up the "adjustable" feature on my GBS to the #3 position. This resulted in fewer repeated strokes without excessive irritation.

FarmerTan

I agree. Simplicity while shaving can, and often does, yield the best results.

I just turned up the "adjustable" feature on my GBS to the #3 position. This resulted in fewer repeated strokes without excessive irritation.
Yes. Once you dial in the aggression you want in an adjustable razor they can save a werkin' man a lot of time.

Retired folks just put it as mild as we can so we can use up our lather on 12 unneeded extra passes!

Yes. Once you dial in the aggression you want in an adjustable razor they can save a werkin' man a lot of time.

Retired folks just put it as mild as we can so we can use up our lather on 12 unneeded extra passes!
Sometimes your insight(s) can be frightening! I found my sister-in-law's humor right where it belonged... in the garbage disposal!

I palm strop my straight razor after every shave and before the strop. I used to palm strop my DE blades too. Removes the soap scum buildup.

Top Bottom