What's new

Do most of the men in the world shave with a DE?

I'm thinking carts are popular in the lands of processed foods and iPhone 5's.

There are about 3.5 billion males in the world, with 2.5 of shaving age. Say 1.75 billion actually shave.

What do you think? 500 million cart users and 1.25 billion DE users?

I remember reading about how Gillette was managing to market to places like south Asia with single blade cartridges that almost mimic DE razors... It seems like most of Europe is using some kind of cartridge, though plastic DE systems are still popular way up north. After you consider electric shavers and places like Turkey where you get a straight razor barber shave for a dollar, you are probably going to about break even on DE to Cart shavers. Most of the people in "non Iphone" areas are more likely to use DE than cart, but most just have beards...

just speculation with a grain of salt and a lime wedge though...

Don't forget women in your statistics, as well. I daresay more women (in countries where women are supposed to remove hair, which is probably largely developed countries) use carts than anything else, although if you factor in all methods of hair removal, wax and stuff like Nair might rank up there pretty high.

Still-- you guys might have to shave your face every day, but we're supposed to shave pretty much every inch of our bodies...

Still-- you guys might have to shave your face every day, but we're supposed to shave pretty much every inch of our bodies...

You don't have to shave anything if you wear pants and a shirt... Imagine someone showing up to an interview with a full beard tucked into a turtleneck. $george.jpg

I have been to Slovakia, Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Kuwait, England, Morocco, and other countries just to name a few. in ALL of them I see cartridge razors being sold. and all of these countries have smart phones just in case people think that there are "non-iphone countries". so I cannot imagine a country that hasn't(well they will have less people owning it) smart phones. and there are unique local razor brands. I have 2 vintage Chinese safety razors. both of them are very mild.

so I hate to bring this to you. but as I remember, in Morocco and Egypt cartridge razors like Gillette( like the fusion and blue 2 nad 3) are sold. Lord have cartridge razors too and are sold like hell in Egypt since they are much cheaper than gillette, although the lord DE razor exist.

you can almost find every brand in Kuwait, in fact I barely see DE razors sold in Kuwait(they are hard to spot). only barbers use straights with a half DE blade

I am afraid that most(if not all countries) do have cartridge razors. so probably DE razors will "lose" badly if we made some global statistics. trust me, take from someone who saw the world. it is sad but true.

Last edited:
Are you counting disposables as carts? I would imagine they make up quite a decent proportion of sales.

I visit my extended family back at the Philippines at least once a year. Through my travels through the country (and various neighboring countries), I am sad to report that most men that I know/have seen use either a disposable or a cartridge. It's especially unfortunate that most of the disposables/cartridges are blatant Gillette/Schick knock-offs or counterfeits.

Gillette has 70% of the worlds shaving market...I think wet shaving is more of a "niche" thing...either you know of it or not...

Most of the world shaves with cartridges and disposables. Virtually just about every country, you'll find more cartridges and disposables than DE. DE users are dwindling every consecutive year. Not so long ago last century, we had hundreds of DE manufacturers. Now there are only a few. Think about how hard it is to get a de razor at a brick and mortar store. Gillette took over the St. Petersburg plant. P & G took over Gillette. These corporations want to take over the world.

Top Bottom