What's new

Do kids build forts anymore?

How about chucking rocks down by the river under the bridge!

CHECK!
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That's an awesome pic. Our kids love chucking rocks off the bridge or into water and making splashes....to be honest, I live doing it too

See, kids still do this stuff if they have parents or guardians who allow them and encourage it. It is the lazy parents who are tied to a CPU or phone, that let their kids do it all day. It's the same parents who are glued to their phones while watching their kids play sports while their kids are yelling at them..."did you see me score, did you see, did you see?". It's pathetic how lazy some grow ups are and then people wonder why kids don't k ow how to do anything but electronics.

We spent the day outside playing soccer, football and 500 up.

Do kids today know what a fort is? They don't watch cowboys and indians anymore.

What would they do if their phone died! :scared:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't go in the woods unless there is a clear trail. Poisson Ivy had me once when I was a kid and it WILL NOT get me again.

That's an awesome pic. Our kids love chucking rocks off the bridge or into water and making splashes....to be honest, I live doing it too

See, kids still do this stuff if they have parents or guardians who allow them and encourage it. It is the lazy parents who are tied to a CPU or phone, that let their kids do it all day. It's the same parents who are glued to their phones while watching their kids play sports while their kids are yelling at them..."did you see me score, did you see, did you see?". It's pathetic how lazy some grow ups are and then people wonder why kids don't k ow how to do anything but electronics.

We spent the day outside playing soccer, football and 500 up.
How true!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Child: Hey grandpa tell me a story about the good ole days.
Grandpa: Oh, you are really ganna love this story. I used stare at and iPhone all day and play really fun games....and all by my self.
Child: What's an iPhone Grandpa?

I grew up in small town in South Texas. Behind our house were the "woods". Mostly mesquite, some oak, hackberry and prickly pear. During the summer we might have 3 forts being built and/or a tree house. We could stay out there all day in 100 degree heat and never gave it a second thought.

Do kids still build forts? Are they even allowed to be in the woods anymore?

I grew up the same way. Regrettably, we raised our children in the city, so no available woods. My children are 27, 23, and 20.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do kids build forts anymore?

Sure they do. Why, just the other day my neighbor's kid 3D printed one.

When we were kids my Mom would pack us a lunch in the morning and we would place in the woods until dinner time.
We built forts and all kinds of stuff. My favorite was making Bows and arrows and we would have wars. I told a kid about this and he told me that making a bow was dangerous and culturally insensitive :001_huh:!!

When I were a lad there were a lot of new houses being built, and the used 1x4 groove and tongue boards from the foundations concrete forms were fair game for the kids to build tree houses with. Otherwise they just got burned. A bit hard on the saws, but hey, free lumber!
Ours was a two-story tree house in a huge Jack Pine.
The only injury that I recall was somebody (on another tree house project) dropped a hammer and it glanced off of Donna Spike's head. She was fine, once the blood stopped.

Then we'd head off to dive off the railroad tracks into the lake.

Our slingshots were the wire coat hanger variety. The ammo was 2" lengths of leftover wire bent into narrow "V"s.

So I guess the answer is, "yes, kids are still kids". If they grew up in urban areas they probably never built forts and in they currently live in small areas they still built forts.

So I guess the answer is, "yes, kids are still kids". If they grew up in urban areas they probably never built forts and in they currently live in small areas they still built forts.
City kids want to make forts too, I fully believe it's the parents who are holding them back. I feel sorry for kids that play video games all day.

Even if it's just a few trips a year, camping was the best thing we ever started doing with our kids. This commerical sums up my thoughts nicely and pretty much sums up our kids when we are camping. Dirty, eating from the fire, frog catching at night, constructing play weapons, making fires that are taller than them and everything and anything else that keeps them kids.

Good memories, forts. My stepfather's job kept us moving around the southwest when I was a kid. We sometimes lived in the city, or in the countryside. In the city, forts were made of cardboard boxes or wooden pallets, in the country they were generally made out of wood.

We dug holes deep enough bury ourselves (or drown ourselves, water came in pretty quick if you went deep enough). We built forts high in trees, on small hills, or in the rocks on the mesas. A great many of us kids broke a few bones in those days. My mom would have been horrified to know the places we went, and the things we did.

The most interesting place was outside an old air force base, which had a large boneyard full of old airplanes, including a few bombers from the second war. It was a great place to play astronaut, or hide and seek. Luckily the air police didn't come by that often.

In those days there were no video games, no computers, and little tv; we could only watch 30 minutes before school, and one hour after. Not that it mattered much, in most places we only had a few channels to choose from. In those days, being a kid meant being outside, usually unsupervised. Dads worked, and moms cleaned house while watching soap operas, and preferred to do those things without kids running around.

Top Bottom