What's new

Do I really need a cheap strop to start?

I have been reading for a while and starting to assemble some kit. I think I have decided against films and balsa strops because I already have most stones from sharpening knives except a finisher which I have on the way. I will get two razors professionally honed locally(Portland razor co.)
My question is do I really need to start with a cheap leather strop? How likely am I to butcher one starting out? Bad enough to affect the function of the strop? I usually try to buy once. I am not going to go crazy but I am thinking about buying a basic Tony Miller strop but it is still like $60.

Legion

Staff member
You might not damage it... But you would be the exception to the rule. Most of us damaged our first strop.

Tony used to sell beginner or practice strops. I'm not sure if he still does, but maybe you could get one of those at the same time and use it until you trust yourself with the other one. Then sell the practice one, if it is not too munted. My first hanging strop was a second hand TM practice.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@ORkaisersoze, being a big supporter of @Tony Miller, my advice is that you get him to make you a custom strop with no expense spared. I would recommend Barenia leather with 18 karate gold hardware and diamond inserts. Barenia leather is a pleasure to strop on and the gold with diamond hardware sets it off perfectly. Later, if needed, Tony can make a second one for you, or you could save on postage and get two with your first order.

Now in all seriousness, get a Tony Miller strop with a spare punched leather so you can replace it if when you cut the original up. I went through (ruined) two strops while learning.

Last edited:
S

Scrubby

I have been reading for a while and starting to assemble some kit. I think I have decided against films and balsa strops because I already have most stones from sharpening knives except a finisher which I have on the way. I will get two razors professionally honed locally(Portland razor co.)
My question is do I really need to start with a cheap leather strop? How likely am I to butcher one starting out? Bad enough to affect the function of the strop? I usually try to buy once. I am not going to go crazy but I am thinking about buying a basic Tony Miller strop but it is still like $60.
Buy once cry once does not apply to strops. You will damage your first strop. But if you want to damage an expensive strop…. It’s your party after all.

I really wanted a tony miller strop but I thought I would save a little money and go with a little cheaper option but still high quality. I went with a razor emporium strop as my first. After nicking it the hell up, damn I had the right mind, but I should have gone even cheaper, like an illinois strop from amazon or something as my first. I also def recommend going cheap on the first strop. 99.9% chance you will nick it up thinking you got the hang of it, oops, nope.

This is one scenario where I believe the modular strop shines. The OP may not nick his first strop, but I believe the majority do. A modular allows that leather to be replaced, if that maker will provide a replacement. In my case, he wouldn't... but, that is in the past.

The OP has gotten sound advice, but, it's his money... and his choice.

Buy a Tony Miller strop. Tony sells parts, so after you nick the leather component, you can replace just the leather component.

Tony also sells different grades too. I would reach out to Tony to sort out the best solution for you. If it were me, I would not buy a premium leather component for my first strop.

one final question about strops. Leather bench strops seem less favored as some feel like the motion of a bench strop is easier to damage edge. But many people really like balsa strops which are bench strops? Do people use balsa strops in hand sometimes? Why the difference of opinion?

one final question about strops. Leather bench strops seem less favored as some feel like the motion of a bench strop is easier to damage edge. But many people really like balsa strops which are bench strops? Do people use balsa strops in hand sometimes? Why the difference of opinion?
A balsa strop is used with abrasives applied. Leather is typically used to realign the edge after shaving and slightly improve the performance after honing. It can also be used with a compound to extend the time between honing. You can have one rough side with paste/spray, and one fine side for stropping before, and/or after each shave.

I see so since balsa strops are usually pasted with diamonds/cbn they are more akin to honing than stroping. So do some people strop with a hanging strop after finishing with pasted balsa? Or do they shave after the balsa and then strop on leather/cotton/linen after shaving?

I see so since balsa strops are usually pasted with diamonds/cbn they are more akin to honing than stroping. So do some people strop with a hanging strop after finishing with pasted balsa? Or do they shave after the balsa and then strop on leather/cotton/linen after shaving?
Some use pasted balsa after each shave, just after honing, or just to extend the time between honing. In my opinion they can not do the job of a leather strop. They don't realign the damaged edge caused by shaving.
They also introduce some convexity, which reduces the performance to some degree. If you don't have tough beard this might not be of significance. As you age the beard gets tougher. A more acute angle will always cut better.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@ORkaisersoze, pasted balsa strops are (should) always used in-hand, not on bench. As stated above, hey are referred to as "strops" as their use is with spine leading, like a strop. In reality, pasted balsa strops are hones as they remove metal (ever so slight) from the bevel.

Normal progression is pasted balsa followed by clean leather stropping.

Once you have a very good shave-ready edge on a SR, you then put it through a full diamond pasted (0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm) balsa strop progression to get the extreme edge keenness. You should still strop on clean leather before each shave.

Pasted balsa strops do not produce a good shave-ready edge. They only make a good shave-ready edge better. You need to be use to such edge keenness to appreciate it. For others, such edge keenness is not preferred.

A SR with pasted balsa edge that is maintained after every shave on 0.1μm hanging balsa strop, should never need touch a whetstone or lapping film again.

You could go with one of the Razor Emporium strops--all parts are replaceable, they are 3" wide strops. Just be forewarned that I have gone through 3 pieces of good quality horse hide since getting mine because of sloppy stropping. But it is nice not to have to replace the whole strop. And you can try different types of leather too, or replace the canvas if you used pastes on it and then decided to go with clean canvas instead (like I did). But having a modular system where you can replace each part gives you a lot of options

Another option is to get one of their small leather travel strops for about $12 until you gain confidence. They are small, though, and don't include canvas

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I never nicked a strop until I bought brand new one...........That cut was in me, waiting for years until it smelled new leather

Duke City Vintage Shaving | eBay Stores - https://www.ebay.com/str/dukecityvintageshaving Here is a place to get a quality strop for not much money. That way, when you butcher it, you can replace it cheaply. I assumed you meant an unpasted stop for daily maintenance.

Top Bottom