What's new

Do I overload the brush?

This is how I always go about making lather, but do y'all think I may overload the brush? This is about a 50 second load of MWF:

$photo.jpg

Been doing it that way for years now, always get what I consider to be a good shave.

No such thing, provided you use enough water while mixing to produce a good lather. I agree with GD, nice looking lather!

That was produced with a soaked brush, squeezed out, normal dry puck of MWF, which is for me, a little damp, as I will put a few drops on it the days I do not use it, I think it likes to be moist. I am almost out of MWF though, will be moving to a new puck soon, maybe two weeks if I go monogamous with the fat for a while.

Yup, like other have said, one can never have to much. It's better to have more and not need it than not enough and need it:)

I always load my brush like this. I want enough glide and cushion to last through my third touch up pass. A lot of it goes down the sink when I'm finished but I have so much soap...

A photo probably isn't the best way to tell but it doesn't appear to be overloaded. If your lather works for you then you're not probably not overloading.

I load my brush with about the same amount of lather (with MWF, Tabac, VDH).

When I first started lathering, I watched a lot of Mantic59's YouTube videos. He barely loads his brush and gets tons of lather. I remember trying to reproduce what he did, and I ended up with sudsy lather that was no good (poor water to soap ratio). It wasn't until I started seriously loading the brush that I was able to get decent lather. I'm helping a friend learn how to shave with a brush, and I recommend to him that he load for about a minute. Sure, it may be overkill, but I think it's a lot easier to keep adding water until you get the right water/soap ratio. Soap is cheap.

Lather looks great to me. You could try using more water, along with that much product, to see if it makes the lather even better.

Lather looks great to me. You could try using more water, along with that much product, to see if it makes the lather even better.

Oh, I add water. I splash my face with water right before I start massaging the brush, and add drops to the brush as needed to get my favorite consistency. I mostly face lather, like 90% of the time, but was playing around with a Commodore and lather bowl I bought the wife, and it was pretty fun. Might have to do it bowl style more often.

Oh, I add water. I splash my face with water right before I start massaging the brush, and add drops to the brush as needed to get my favorite consistency. I mostly face lather, like 90% of the time, but was playing around with a Commodore and lather bowl I bought the wife, and it was pretty fun. Might have to do it bowl style more often.

Try what I tried, though--after you think you have the exact right amount of water on the brush--try adding more. That's what I did by accident, once. Unexpectedly, it made a noticeable improvement in my shaves.

Top Bottom