What's new

Do I need to try an open comb DE?

Hi, been here on the forums not quite 2 weeks yet. I must say, I have learned so much, and reading about all this wet shave stuff has been so interesting and helped me improve my shaves by putting what I've learned into practice. Great stuff.

I use to look at shaving like a chore that had to get done, much like doing the laundry or bathroom cleaning.. I didn't know I could enjoy and appreciate it!

I've been shaving with a closed comb Merkur DE safety razor w/ Astra SP blades for about a month. Been brushing with Stirling Shave Soaps. So far so good. Much better results & way more satisfying that what I was doing before.

My question now is, should I look at an open comb type of head? From what I am able to gather, open combs are more aggressive. My facial hair is of below average thickness and growth, & does not require a shave every day, rather 2 or 3 times per week. I think the open comb razor is working for me just fine, so I'm temped just to stay with what's working. On the other hand, am I missing out on something more with an open comb? (My newness to this world & forum are showing, isn't it.)

What have your experiences been with closed comb vs open comb razors and shave results? What are the things that I should be aware of and look out for?

Any tips or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

There is very little that I would qualify as a need. However, I personally prefer the open comb razors I have used over closed comb. The Gillette Old is a great razor, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have both, and, for me, it doesn't make much difference. I have some closed comb razors that are far more aggressive than any of my open combs. If you want to try open comb, go for a vintage Gillette New long comb or short comb. They can be found on the Bay pretty cheap.

Open and closed comb razors provide a slightly different experience, but I believe the overall design of a razor, including factors such as blade exposure, is much more significant. Also, open comb razors aren't necessarily more aggressive; some of the most aggressive DEs have solid safety bars. Same thing goes for slants — some are aggressive, some aren't.
Short answer is, you don't need to look at an open comb razor at all, and in any case it might be best if you stuck with the razor you already have until you're completely happy with your technique. After that, by all means try out an open comb (I love the Gillette NEW from the 1930s), a slant (like a Fasan, made in Germany in the 1930s-50s), SE or whatever else takes your fancy. I'm the last person to discourage anybody from experimenting with different razors, but it's not a matter of need.

Welcome to B&B.
I've been on the forum for 3 months and DE shaving for 5.5 months. The best advice I got once I signed on to B&B was to concentrate on improving my technique. The advice was to use the same setup for 4 weeks. I used a Fatboy adjustable. My technique improved greatly. Now I can use razors I've bought that initially were too aggressive. I've since bought an open comb, the Gillette New short comb which I love! Proper technique will let you use more razors!

Being open comb doesn't necessarily equate to being aggressive. As others have mentioned, that is decided by factors such as blade exposure, gap etc

However, according to info on the Karve razors website, for two razors of otherwise identical properties in terms of blade gap and exposure the OC version will be slightly more aggressive than the SB version.

Plate selection

Being open comb doesn't necessarily equate to being aggressive. As others have mentioned, that is decided by factors such as blade exposure, gap etc

However, according to info on the Karve razors website, for two razors of otherwise identical properties in terms of blade gap and exposure the OC version will be slightly more aggressive than the SB version.

Plate selection

Maybe I should be asking about plate gap and blade exposure? Is that the amount of space between the edge of the blade and the housing/comb of the razor head?

There is very little that I would qualify as a need. However, I personally prefer the open comb razors I have used over closed comb. The Gillette Old is a great razor, in my opinion.

I'm the last person to discourage anybody from experimenting with different razors, but it's not a matter of need.

I guess "need" wasn't the term I needed to use there... I was just wondering if I was perhaps missing out on something that the open comb would offer. :)

Welcome to B&B.
I've been on the forum for 3 months and DE shaving for 5.5 months. The best advice I got once I signed on to B&B was to concentrate on improving my technique. The advice was to use the same setup for 4 weeks. I used a Fatboy adjustable. My technique improved greatly. Now I can use razors I've bought that initially were too aggressive. I've since bought an open comb, the Gillette New short comb which I love! Proper technique will let you use more razors!

This is good advice.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I mean at the end of the day, all you can do is afford to find out for yourself? The only open comb I've had I found uncomfortable. But I've got one coming in the mail as I type this because... at the end of the day, how one blade/razor reacts to you will not be the same as for someone else or some other brand.

You could try an in-between by getting a R41. It's kind of both. And it's a fantastic razor. That's on sale for $35.00 now. Get it - thank me later!

Tbh if you're getting good results within two weeks I'd probably stick with your current setup for a while as there's a good chance there's still much more improvement to be had out of it as you become more accustomed to it.

But RAD (razor acquisition disorder) is very tempting isn't it?! :p

One of the users on here, @ShavingByTheNumbers if memory serves, did an excellent diagram defining and showing all the various attributes of a DE razor - look it up and it'll explain things far better than I could

Welcome to the madhouse CallMeNugget. :001_smile
Maybe I should be asking about plate gap and blade exposure? Is that the amount of space between the edge of the blade and the housing/comb of the razor head?
full

I use a Schone open comb in nickel over brass. $20-$25. Highly recommend...just not yet.

Stick with what you have for a few more months. Work on technique. :)

In general, open comb razors tend to be more efficient than closed comb razors, but whether they are more aggressive depends upon the design of the head and the blade used in the razor. If your beard grows so slowly that you do not need to shave daily, then you do not need to use an open comb. if you beard grows quickly and you develop significant growth before shaving, then an open comb is ideal.

I currently have two open combs. The Muhle R41 is both efficient and aggressive. I definitely do not recommend it for new shavers. The Parker 24C is efficient, but it is not particularly aggressive as long as you use the appropriate shave angle. I have closed comb razors that feel more aggressive on the face than the Parker.

Also the aggressiveness of a razor depends upon your choice of blade in a razor. If you need a higher level of aggression, install a sharper blade. If the razor feels too aggressive, choose a less sharp blade. In my mild razors, I use the sharpest blades available. In my R41, I use mid-sharp blades to tame the aggressiveness.

I highly suggest your purchasing a blade sampler pack and try a variety of blades in your razor. You may find some of the blades to be too dull for your beard. Some may feel too rough on your face. You may find some to be so sharp that you are nervous using them. But somewhere this is a blade that is tailor made for your beard, your face and your razor. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to find that perfect blade.

Last edited:
I think it's silly to generalize about open combs, just as it is about solid bar.My most aggressive razors are all solid bar.

The R41 is not an open comb since it's not open.

No you don't need to try an open comb. It may be interesting to try an Old Type or Fatip but because of their no gap geometry, not because they are open comb.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think it's silly to generalize about open combs, just as it is about solid bar.My most aggressive razors are all solid bar.

The R41 is not an open comb since it's not open.

The Muhle R41 does not conform to the design parameters of the original Gillette open combs, but if you look on vendor sites like Maggards and West Coast Shaving, the R41 is sold as an open comb razor. The Muhle web site also calls it an open comb razor. Thus, I used that terminology.

The Muhle R41 does not conform to the design parameters of the original Gillette open combs, but if you look on vendor sites like Maggards and West Coast Shaving, the R41 is sold as an open comb razor. The Muhle web site also calls it an open comb razor. Thus, I used that terminology.
Understood. I stand by the commonly accepted definition of "open".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think it's irrelevant whether the R41 is open or closed comb - it is what it is. Maybe a hybrid or whatever. To me it behaves more like an open comb. Anyway, it's the best razor I've used and I'd put it right alongside my MMOC, 1912s and Timeless Bronze OC .78. My journey into wet shaving doesn't really need to go further than the R41 - it does everything I want from a razor. At $35 it's a no-brainer.

With all the talk about developing technique - which I agree with - I'm still inclined to suggest that you develop your technique using your destination razor, not some "beginners" model. Technique is slightly different for each razor. If I could start again I'd start with a R41 and get to know it thoroughly, using blades like Gillette Silver Blue and Sharpedge Yellows.

Top Bottom