What's new

Do I need to try a slant?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I just might give that $25 Razorock 37 german a try just to see if I like
This is what I did, and I was happy I did. I've ended up getting more slants (I'm up 7), not because I think they are the holy grail of razors, but just because I like the concept, I like to try different razor brands/models, and I find it exhilarating to try different razors......but my preference is to always start out as inexpensively as possible and then working my way the cost curve.

Enjoy and please keep us posted on your experience.

A slant razor is a gimmick, but it's a good gimmick.

I have several, but would not buy more. A slanted blade (all other variables being equal) in theory is more effective at cutting, than is a non-slanted blade. However, a slant razor is not necessarily a better shaver than is an efficient non-slanted razor.

As to comparison, I have "tough old man whiskers." I have a Merkur 34 and rate it on a scale of 10 for effectiveness as a 5. I have a Merkur 37 slant and on scale of 10 for effectiveness I rate it a 6.

Last edited:
Just don't buy the 37c. Veeeeeeeeeery mild. I am kinda intrigued by the Fatip OC Slant since I love my regular Fatip OC

Just don't buy the 37c. Veeeeeeeeeery mild. I am kinda intrigued by the Fatip OC Slant since I love my regular Fatip OC
Looking at the Razorock 37 german no clue if it's any good or if I like it? I'm just curious about this type of razor since I never tried a slant...could pick one up for $25

I have the Merkur 37C. It should be a tinylittlebit milder than the RR German 37. I like agressive razors, I use mostly an R41 and RR Lupo 95. Since 37C < German 37, in agressiveness, I wouldn't say it is very mild. It is definetely more efficient/agressive than a DE89/R89. Bottom line, I'd call it medium, not mild. YMMV, of course.

P.s.: try a bottom shim, then it will bite :straight:

I also had the FOCS, and it didn't work out for me. It wasn't as efficient as I wanted, and wasn't as smooth as I wanted it either, YMMV, I guess, as many like it.

Italian Barber had the RR German 37 head only for $12, but I see they wised up and now only sell it with a handle. But it is still a very good deal.

I used it this morning with an India Gillette-Wilkinson blade. I had used it the day before as a test with an adjustable razor, and gotten a truly horrible shave. But when I used it in the 37 slant, the blade (on day 2) performed perfectly: a smooth, efficient, comfortable shave.

I think this says a lot. The adjustable works very nicely with a very sharp blade, but I had to use it at a more aggressive setting with the G-W. But the 37 slant worked great even with a middling blade -- so the credit goes to the razor.

Of course, if you already have a good razor, you don't "need" a slant. But if you want to experience shaving with a few different types of razors, I think the 37 slant should be one. It's a classic design. An alternative is the more aggressive FOCS - the Fatip Open Comb Slant, which normally sells for about $40 (probably cheaper in the EU), but which is so hard to find new these days that some sellers on eB are asking twice as much. It's solid brass, so it should last longer than a zamak razor like the 37 slant.

I might add an open comb, perhaps the Old Type, which would serve as your aggressive razor, and a good, moderately aggressive three-piece closed comb. The 37 slant would qualify as your mild razor, even though it provides a close, fast shave. If you have a craving for a butterfly razor, I strongly recommend the Baili BD179. It provides a surprisingly close, efficient shave with a sharp blade, once you find the correct angle. (Yes, better than a vintage Gillette, IMHO.)

Back in the Hoffritz days, there were plenty of guys who bought the Hoffritz/Merkur slant razor (and presumably Hoffritz/Merkur blades) and that was the only razor they used. For any newbies out there, yes, you can start with the RR 37 slant, and if you like it, quit while you're ahead. That's really all you need. Period. (Well, if you buy it from Italian Barber, you might as well get the Old Type open comb head reproduction for $8 without a handle. You can use it with the handle for the 37 slant. But that's enough.)

Ummm, BTW, you can always hold your razor at a slanted angle as you shave -- without buying a slant. In the earliest instructions for Gillette razors, they tell you to do that, demonstrate it in drawings. However, the 37 slant does do more than that.

Last edited:
I just might give that $25 Razorock 37 german a try just to see if I like

There is also the FaTip Open Comb Slant lo Storto Orginale, the same price ($25) and all chrome coated brass. Punching way above its price tag. Much better deal imo
lo_storton.jpg

No. I had a RazoRock Wunderbar and didn't really feel anything different. It's a gimmick and didn't feel that it shaved better than other razors I own. Again, it's a variety of factors, but the angled blade didn't seem to have much of an impact.

No. I had a RazoRock Wunderbar and didn't really feel anything different. It's a gimmick and didn't feel that it shaved better than other razors I own. Again, it's a variety of factors, but the angled blade didn't seem to have much of an impact.

Not all slant razors shave or look the same. And price does not correlate well with user satisfaction, particularly with the Ikon, apparently. Zhang Doe is correct, in part: Many, if not most, slants are gimmicks that don't shave much better, from what I can garner from reviews. But you cannot pass judgement on all razors in a class from one model.

RazoRock German 37 slant -- $25:

razorock-german-37-safety-razor-bulldog-handle_1024x1024.jpg

RazoRock Wunderbar Slant -- $133:

RazoRock-Wunderbar-Haloed-UFO-Handle_1024x1024.jpg

Photos from Italian Barber site.

The RR German 37, which is a knockoff of the classic Hoffritz/Merkur slant, is the only razor intentionally made as a slant that I have used. I does shave differently from most other razors I own, though I don't challenge that there could be a non-slant closed comb razor that delivers a similar shave, and I think I have one. But it does shave very nicely, it's easy to use by a newbie, and it is better than most razors out there in this price range, or even at twice the price.

A key to a good slant is the internal bending of the blade to make it more rigid. The 37 seems to succeed. Others reportedly fail this test. The only other slant I would consider is the FOCS, and only in gold, as it looks spectacular. But I don't need another razor, thank you. For a newbie, sure, get a FOCS or a non-slanted open comb Fatip. If you are happy, your search is over.

I do sympathize with Zhang Doe, and his dissatisfaction with the RR Wunderbar. A good seller and website can make all their razors sound really tempting. But often they are disappointing. That's one reason to get a good, less expensive razor -- because any online razor purchase is a gamble, and the odds are not so good. But they improve if you can find solid, consistent recommendations. Also, while zamak razors probably won't last 50 years, and solid stainless steel razors will, you can buy at least two or three zamak razors for the price of one stainless steel razor, and with care, they should last long enough to repay your investment.

The FOCS is highly recommended, but some buyers are dissatisfied - note: there are always some buyers dissatisfied with any Fatip razor, probably because they are tricky to learn how to use properly.

On the other hand, I can't recall anyone complaining about a RR 37 slant, except perhaps some nitpicking that it doesn't shave extremely close -- but that's a feature, not a bug. The 37 slant is probably as close to an idiot-proof razor you can get that shaves this close and smooth, which may account for the popularity of the Hoffritz incarnation. Anyone disagree? Perhaps it should go to the top of the list of razors for people switching from cartridges? But I could be wrong -- it's hard for me to simulate a newbie DE shaver at my age.

Last edited:
No, I expect you don't *need* a slant razor. But if you want one, you should try it. For me the slants I have (the FOCS and a vintage Hoffritz) plane me off even better than my Merkur Progress and my vintage Gillettes, including getting that little patch of stubble directly under my chin. This past Saturday I used the Fatip on a 48-hour beard, and with straight razor-style skin stretching, I achieved a near-BBS with only 2 passes and touchup instead of 3. The cheeks were BBS in only 1 pass, too.

I have read similar comments in other threads. My "theory" is that, for people with "regular" strength beard slants bring nothing, as a non-slanted razor cuts their whiskers just fine. On the other hand, people with coarse beards benefit from the "slanted" cutting motion, so they feel that it works.
Someone should make a poll :)

Hi Gents
I've been looking at some slant razors reviews more specifically the Razorock german slant and the original from Merkur but do I need to try it? since I never have
Except for the different cutting angle what are the pro's and cons

Thx ✌
Meh. IMO, the slant was always kind of a gimmick but theres really no proof that it actually does anything. If you want to try a slant, try one. I dont know that you are really missing anything though.

Top Bottom