What's new

Do I need to try a slant?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It comes down to what you want. Don't know if you want it? Try one on. Many slants are fairly inexpensive.

Search around here on B&B. I've put up a bunch of slant reviews over the last few years, and responded to a lot of questions exactly like yours. I'm happy to consult. I'm also not the only one who really likes slants, so connect with a few of the other folks and see what they say.

I don't really like to say the German 37 or any slant is a "beginner" slant. None of us likes to think of ourselves as beginners, though that may very well be true. If you're just dipping a toe, then the German 37, the Merkur 37, and the Parker Semi-Slant will be less demanding of good slant technique, which you don't have yet. Once you've built technique, then it's time to move up the scale if you want. The RazoRock Wunderbar is a very nice slant that will tune up your technique, for sure. ATT's S1, S2 and now X1 are all slants that are not quite as punctilious as the Wunderbar yet are still top-shelf shavers.

You may, in the end, decide there's not much to attract you. That'll be for you to discover. I'll say in complete honesty that I really like slants. I like other kinds of razors, too, which keeps my rotation lively. Never know what's going to come along in the Lather Pit!

O.H.

I didn't read through this thread, but it depends on the slant. I really like the Fine superlight slant. I have a plastic one. How many buy a razor because the need it? Not many now. It's more of satisfying one's curiosity, so if you're curious about the slant then yes, you need to. Just beware, they can be wicked slicers. Great razors, though.

It depends. On your face, your beard, the blade, the razor, and your angle. More so, IME than "normal" DEs.

I have the ikon B2 and X3 slants, vintage Coles & Pomco, Wunderbar, Fine light weight, Archdale, and another one or two hiding somewhere.

The Wunderbar and B2 are both excellent performers, for me. The Coles & Pomco (37 analogs) are nice, but unremarkable. The Archdale can be incredibly efficient, but requires a good bit of effort to get there.

I like the Fine, but waaaayy too light. I'll try the aluminum, if I see a good price.

I would say it is well worth trying, as finances allow. Once you find one that works well, you won't want to turn it loose.

It's definitely a yes! If you want to... Slants shave beautifully, but as with all razors some slants just ARE better than others. My 2 current favourites are the Fatip lo Storto and the Wunderbar. I have a few others, the only one I didn't like was the iKon X3. It felt rough... not at all what I expect from a slant.

Before you buy, try the Gillette Slide: turn the head of your current razor 30 degrees or so but move it up and down or side to side as you would normally (easier to do than to explain). This will simulate the cutting action of a slant razor. If it works for you you could buy a slant or simply continue with the slide method, at no extra cost, as men have been doing since DE’s were invented

Need to? No. But you'll probably give in to the temptation. Just be aware that not all slants are the same. Some are quite good, some are mediocre. Check out the B.O.S.S. forum and feast your eyes.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So, how did you like it? This sorta just … stopped. Curious what you think of it. For me they make no difference, but I think that the coarse beard reasoning may be why. I don’t have one. No diff between slant or no slant for me.

Top Bottom