What's new

Do I need to stock up on Mitchell’s?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just curious what the buzz is, with all the reformulations going on, should I be stocking up on MWF? I don’t want vegan shave soap. I only want the good stuff. I mostly use Tabac and MWF. I stocked up on old formula Tabac as much as I could, but now I’m worried about the rest of the shave soap world.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just a word of caution. MWF doesn't hold as good as Tabac Beauty so you will need refrigeration at minimum.
Other than that, thanks for the nightmare material.
Dang! Maybe I’ll have to freeze a dozen or two for my really old age.

I don't know about freezing as I have never tried soap previously frozen (or "fresh from frozen" how they say at my local grocery :biggrin1:). In my experience, all shaving stuff holds much better/longer if kept in the fridge. Except maybe some creams.

I have a Kent puck in use now and what a joy... It is definitely in my top three performers and of excellent value.
It would be a real bummer to see it go.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a Kent puck in use now and what a joy... It is definitely in my top three performers and of excellent value.
It would be a real bummer to see it go.
So what’s the scoop on Kent? Is there an advantage over MWF? I’ve heard some say it’s the same, but then why not just buy the original?

Kent_s.jpg

This reminds me I must buy some more of their bath soap! Only have one left of the pack of three I bought. Spoke to the woman there in Bradford and she was very helpful. Bought them direct from Mitchells

I don’t want vegan shave soap. I only want the good stuff.

I have stopped long ago associating ‘tallow’ with ‘good stuff’.

Over the years, I have had some truly lousy shaving soaps that contained tallow and some remarkably good ones that did not.

As Haslinger proved a few years ago, the switch from tallow to non-tallow ingredients does not necessarily have to mean a turn for the worse.

Nowadays, I try a new soap and judge it by its merits, whether is does or does not contain tallow is secondary.

But to each his own…

B.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've been rating my soaps based on performance recently. I'll only be keeping those that pass my above average slickness test. One of my best performance soaps is a vegan soap, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements regular CK formula...no tallow at all in it.

But I will say that most of the soaps that make the cut are tallow-based.

Where is MWF made? It’s seems anything from Europe is phasing out tallow. I was sad to learn Tabac changed.

MWF is made in England/UK, and they provide OEM for other sellers to eg Kent (there's another one I have forgotten about)

Europe seems to phasing out tallow based shaving soaps, but the UK is no longer in the EU so companies will be under less pressure to follow European restrictions.

Last year MWF had an issue with consistency last year, and they are one producer I'd be a little wary for buying a lot of their pucks, all at once.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have stopped long ago associating ‘tallow’ with ‘good stuff’.

Over the years, I have had some truly lousy shaving soaps that contained tallow and some remarkably good ones that did not.

As Haslinger proved a few years ago, the switch from tallow to non-tallow ingredients does not necessarily have to mean a turn for the worse.

Nowadays, I try a new soap and judge it by its merits, whether is does or does not contain tallow is secondary.

But to each his own…

B.
I understand, but it seems like I have to start from scratch every time one of my favorites changes because it usually gets worse. I’m not going to waste any more money on Trumper soaps, they are done in my book. One exception seems to be Santa Maria Novella but the many years between trying the two formulas makes it difficult to compare.

Top Bottom