What's new

Do I need to reset the Bevel?

Hi Everyone,
I apologize I don't have a good enough camera to take decent pictures of what I am talking about. I will try to explain it as best as possible. I was touching up my razor the other night and trying out my new loupe ($3 plastic amazon one). I noticed that on just one side of the blade, there is a thin spot on the edge. The edge has a pretty uniform width from toe to heel. There is just one tiny spot that is thinner than the rest. By width, I am talking about from edge to spine. It is almost like the bevel is different at that one spot. It is only on the one side of the blade. The edge is uniform on the other side. It shaves great for now. I am just wondering if I should resent the bevel next time I am taking it to the hones?

Some background on the razor etc. It is a Dovo Carpe Diem razor purchased from Jarrod at TSS. He did the original honing and I have not attempted to set the bevel since it was purchased. He puts a very nice edge on his razors! It has been touched up once before by me. I am using Naniwa Specialty Stones. I am newer to honing, but I have not had any issues with the razors I have honed to date. The stones have been recently lapped and only 2 razors have been touched up on them before this go with the Dovo. Thanks!

In my experience it is not at all unusual for straight razors to have some variation in the spine/bevel relationship, which will sometimes make for a asymmetrical bevel. Sometimes they are not equidistant from one end to the other, one side to the other. If it is shaving well from heel to point I'd leave well enough alone. IMHO.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
In my experience it is not at all unusual for straight razors to have some variation in the spine/bevel relationship, which will sometimes make for a asymmetrical bevel. Sometimes they are not equidistant from one end to the other, one side to the other. If it is shaving well from heel to point I'd leave well enough alone. IMHO.
Agreed.

Good to see you here, Jimmy!

Agreed.

Good to see you here, Jimmy!

Thanks for the replies. It shaves perfectly, so I will leave it as is.

Hi Dan,

the spot can come from using narrow stones and giving too much pressure on the side edges of stone. In the past this happend to me I think cause I had just very very small and narrow stones and where using both hands with straight strokes. If you can life with it and is not scratching your skin or somthing it should be fine.

Greetings

With close to 200 razors in my collection, I find it quite rare to find blades with perfectly symmetrical bevels. Especially under magnification. I have a Boker Silver Steel (one of my favorites) that you can see the wonky bevel from across the room, but it shaves like a dream. Don't sweat it. If Jarrod set the bevel, you won't likely have to set it ever again. Just maintain it.

Top Bottom